• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

email quote..."I can't believe I might be dumping my Transcendent Sound preamp that that I have been tweaking for the last three years."

Uhhh, since I have a fully teflonized grounded grid with lots of mods as well as diyparadise Eva LDR, I would ask to be placed on the Warpspeed tour. I am in Southern CA and don't mind waiting until the demo units makes it to the West Coast. You got PM.

drjlo
I am the one that Blues quoted. Yes my modded TS GG is on the shelf! I think the GG is a pretty good preamp, very quite, clean, fast, but with a slightly cold presentation. I never fell in love with it. I tried lots of things but it just never really happened for me. The WarpSpeed just simply blew it away. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize what I was missing. There is real life in the music now. So much more involving. If you do not need the gain this is the way to go. You will not be disappointed. I think most of the bump in the music quality is that you are losing the AC mains garbage. I always thought the PS for the GG was lacking.
Right now I have replaced the pot in the Dodd buffer with the Warpspeed and at first listen it is pretty darn good, but more time for further evaluation is needed. Will I try the Warpspeed in the GG, maybe but its low on the list.

drjlo
I am the one that Blues quoted. Yes my modded TS GG is on the shelf! I think the GG is a pretty good preamp, very quite, clean, fast, but with a slightly cold presentation. I never fell in love with it. I tried lots of things but it just never really happened for me. The WarpSpeed just simply blew it away. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize what I was missing. There is real life in the music now. So much more involving. If you do not need the gain this is the way to go. You will not be disappointed. I think most of the bump in the music quality is that you are losing the AC mains garbage. I always thought the PS for the GG was lacking.
Right now I have replaced the pot in the Dodd buffer with the Warpspeed and at first listen it is pretty darn good, but more time for further evaluation is needed. Will I try the Warpspeed in the GG, maybe but its low on the list.

Hey, it's your post on AudioCircle that led me to this thread. My handle is "Jon L" there..

Obviously active tube preamps simply will not have the transparency of something like LDR, as even my Eva LDR is much more transparent than the heavily-modded grounded grid. But active tube preamps do have a righteous place in many other systems.

I would be using the Eva right now if it weren't for the not-fine-enough volume control increments for my high-efficiency speakers. This also brings up remote volume control for Warpspeed..

It might be possible to adapt one of those PIC control remote control designs to cater for the 3 turns of the pot
- or possibly one of those input selector versions that could be used to select 3 "ranges" of resistance and one standard remote vol pot to achieve the same result as the multiturn pot - seems reasonable, but ....