• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

One more for the W'speed a la carte before 2012 ends...

The iER^2.2 is a 2-IN/2-HP OUT Warpspeed -IN1 and IN2 are switchable between their own HP OUT; For the hobbyist with at least 2 headphones and 2 sources; An easy A-B'ing of headphones/sources with a flick of the switch; No switching transient pops and clicks even on very high sensitivity 'phones :hphones:

Btw, without music and volume control at maximum all WarpspeediER designs exhibit the advantage of no listening detectable noise or hiss on my 98dB/1mW Grado.

Wishing and hoping for the very best for everyone this coming 2013!:sing:

Attachments

• WarpspeediER^2.2 CE.jpg
    WarpspeediER^2.2 CE.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 293
when it's good ...it's good

yesterday warpspeed test with 9V cell battery, 9V SMPS , and 9V linear reguated power supply ( 100000uf RCRC and belleson 9V regulator from a DIy preamp)..

and the result is .... the Warpspeed!
same sound for all at very low volume, no noise at all at full level.
same musicality , body and detailed sounding.
so perhaps i have a "special" good SMPS but no needs for me for overkill power supply with my warp .. i will use it elsewhere :D

Great to know, thanks Rohan! Please let me toast to the W'squid...!

Ever since Srajan commented on the battery supply as somewhat left hanging and said it was a loose end, I have felt compelled to improve on it.

I have actually started the process of developing a complete package of battery supply and for those who don't want to fuss with batteries, a linear psu.

I'm still not convinced with SMPS and although I got good results with a couple of laptop supplies, it might still be location/system dependent. The possibility of high freq noise/hash creeping in is still there.

More soon...:warped:

ps. GO 'Hawks!

Ever since Srajan commented on the battery supply as somewhat left hanging and said it was a loose end, I have felt compelled to improve on it.

Srajan could wrote tons of pages on the sound of outlet plugs....:D

i forgot to say that my amps is not on the same power line than my system.
so no pollution here , and the slow-rise and the electrical isolation of the silonex in his resistor side could explain it could be immune to the HF pollution :)

anyway a dedicated linear supply couldn't hurt :)

Last edited:
im using a battery shunt regulator on the warpspeed.

the differences is night and day. I'm not good at using words to describe the sound differences, but ... it sounds a lot more dynamic, faster, fuller, and a lot more texture, micro details (such as the very subtle echoes in the concert halls in Live in paris by Dianna krall)

I have not experimented with different type of batteries yet, but the LiFePo4 that i am using are doing pretty well. I know batteries have some chemical noises but, the noise floor, from my understanding, is significantly lower than any type of wall-plugged filters, power regenerators or isolators.

just fyi, im using it with ncore.

I got them randomly from a local remote control toy shop. (seems RC planes use them a lot these days)

they have some advance battery chargers for it (with current control, battery memories, cell counts etc), and they can last for at least 24hours on the warpspeed, non stop play back.

I always encourage DIYers to share their findings especially with different battery types and supplies as I can't possibly try or think out every possible iteration and combination out there. 6V thru 18V DC is what the W'squid will be happy with...maybe 24V is pushing it in terms of temperature.

I know juanitox, turbogti, diySpaceW, and jameshillj among others have been trying out stuff as they email me from time to time...

In related news...still an enigma of the deep. Captured deep beneath the waves: 10-foot squid filmed in natural habitat - World News :warped:

From an owner in Canada

This has been posted at the Hawthorne Audio forum for over a year now but somehow I missed to linked over here...sorry John. :warped:

"System used:
DENON 2930 CD/DVD player with The Upgrade Company’s Reference Upgrade, feeding the Warpspeed V4 (via unbroken-in MAC Silver interconnects). The V4 feeds an Eddie Vaughn CARINA EL84 tube amplifier (point to point wiring, NOS Mullard and Amperex Bugle boy tubes, running in ultralinear mode) via MAC Reference interconnects. The Carina speaker outputs feed Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris mid’s and tweeters. The Carina speaker outputs also feed into two 370 watt Rhythmik plate amps. These plate amps feed four 15 inch Hawthorne Audio Augie bass drivers (2 per side). All drivers are open baffle on baffles built by Darrel Hawthorne of Hawthorne Audio.

After receiving the V4 yesterday, I bypassed the PEC volume control in my CARINA and inserted the Warpspeed into the chain.

Matt, I had no problem running the plate amps off of the speaker outputs of the CARINA. After reading your post, I was prepared to have to run interconnects from the second RCA outputs of the Warpspeed V4 to the RCA inputs of the Rhythmik, but didn’t have to. In fact I listened for about an hour without any of the 15 inch bass Augies connected (it was very good that way as well).

I played 4 artists last night:
John Lee Hooker
James Taylor
Neil Young
Roger Waters – Amused to Death (Qsound recording)

My conclusion (in my system) is… conventional volume controls are a place to look for improvement. Why else could you add this many more parts (virgin MAC Silver interconnect with its RCA ends, all the components in the V4) to the signal chain, and still get more resolution, transparency, and detail without added stridency.

Highlights of listening experience last night…
-Hey, there’s a banjo off to the side in one of the Neil Young songs.
-Listening to that guitar makes me unconsciously feel the player moving his hands around the instrument.
-I asked my son if it sounded more like live music over where he was sitting by the computer, cause it did where I was on the couch.
-I don’t remember ever doing this, but when the horse and sleigh danced across the top of my wall from right of the right speaker to left of the left speaker on the Roger Waters album, I grinned (honest). Not cause the horse and sleigh hadn’t appeared there before, but because they filled the room, it was like I was wearing headphones and there was improved DEPTH and dimensionality to the soundstage.
-On the same album, a man chops wood repeatedly outside. I always loved the attack of each hit (with good sounding equipment) cause it hit’s hard (testing the dynamic capability of the music chain), but what caught my attention, after each chop of wood, was the scattered sprinkling of a bunch of individual wood chips hitting the ground after each crack. What was subtle, in the background, or unrealized before, became a highlight and an enjoyable part of the listening experience. And these experiences repeated on other cuts.

This change is more than a little bit of sparkle added to the treble end of the spectrum. It is, to date, an enjoyable improvement to music on my system.

No old school LDR balance drift issues, the volume goes down to dead silent, and it runs on batteries (mine is currently running on 12 D cells). The finished V4 that I bought has a beautiful rosewood faceplate, very well finished chassis, was double packed for shipping, and I felt personally well cared for. Allan watched the parcel through Customs, notifying me of its progress, etc. Overall, very similar to the wonderful service I’m so used to from the Hawthorne’s.

I want to thank Allan for producing this product at an affordable price that allowed me to try something I’ve been thinking about for some time now. IMHO and in my specific system (I recognize this type of product may or may not work in yours), this was an improvement beyond its price point.

Update today.

Metallica – Black Album
Kraftwerk – Dance Mix

Started with Metallica. Yelled up to my wife upstairs that she may not like the next few songs that much. I didn’t mention the bass yesterday, but it is just better integrated into the whole presentation, faster, lower, and less overhang, kinda driving the music instead of waiting for it. Moved onto Kraftwerk and partway through Radioactivity I heard a banging upstairs. I turned it down asking her if she wanted me to turn it down. She was dancing.

I (we) really like this thing."

WarpspeediER V8-xW1

-Balanced (1-In/1-Out) stereo, Unbalanced (1-In/2-Out paralleled) stereo, or 1/4" HP stereo OUT from Unbalanced IN; xW1 L-R channel balance control

The Balanced section can be optimized for headphones use as well through the XLR INs/OUTs.

This model came about from an interested party expressing his desires...:)

:warped:

Attachments

• WarpspeediER CE V8-xW1.jpg
    WarpspeediER CE V8-xW1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 315
The WarpCore PSU

Here are the preliminary tech specs and features...

WarpCore 10 Regulated Linear PSU:

-Input: 115V or 230V AC with Split-Bobbin Isolation Transformer; IEC AC Input Jack
-Output: 10V 240mA DC; Umbilical with 2.5 x 5.5mm DC power plug
-Ripple Noise: -80dB; Combined with WarpSquid <-120dB
-Overvoltage and overcurrent protected
-Output voltage LED lit panel meter; option to switch off
-Chassis/front panel matched with Warpspeed preamps

WarpCore 9 Battery PSU:

-Output: 9V 12Ah 6x1.5V D-cell Alkalines; Umbilical with 2.5 x 5.5mm DC power plug
-12Ah will average 1 year or more of 3-hr daily use
-Output voltage LED lit panel meter; option to switch off
-Chassis/front panel matched with Warpspeed preamps

Sorry no rechargeable battery options here -especially Li Ions :)eek:Boeing:eek:)

Thanks, all the way to China! If you like you can give it some stars (rating).

I don't know if that would help or only help to clutter the forum or confuse readers. I say half an hour on lazy days or more on weekends will get you to (warp)speed?

I might have to update the key points stated at the start of the thread as more have come up. I hope they allow editing instead...