• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Another project, all digital DDX amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DEQX with digital outs

Hi Soundcheck,

The DEQX is a very comprehensive piece of kit....
6 channel DAC's, 2 channel A to D, pre-amp, measurement suite ( phase, frequency, impulse response and group delay) FIR plus IIR crossovers, i.e. Linear phase and/ or Butterworth / Linkwitz

My DEQX has the optional digital out board, 3 SPDIF digital outs Plus 3 AES balanced digital outs.
It also has the pre - amp option.
I replaced the thin steel case and back panel ( poor quality) with a 10mm thick custom acrylic ( smoked black ) case with a laser etched stainless steel back panel and top quality insulated connectors.

lt has full remote control operation, and or lap top / tablet remote control.

Plus balanced or RCA analog in with internal A to D at 24bit 96KHz processing.

Plus it is a full test tone generator and measurement suite with both 44KHz and 96KHz processing... Plus its killer USP is its ability to measure AND correct in both phase ( time) and frequency:
(1) individual drivers.
(2) each loudspeaker channel.
(3) the room.

It measures:
(1) Impulse response.
(2) Phase.
(3) Group Delay.
(4) Frequency Response.

Then uses the above data to implement TRUE time corrected Linear Phase crossovers at any slope / frequency your heart desires...It only takes me 5 minutes to change my entire crossover set up from traditional 6 dB per octave Butterworth to 96 dB per octave Linear phase...
Comparisons between crossover points / slopes / with / without room Eq / driver correction / run a driver full range or band pass it ....there is no limit to the variables....
As a testing and development tool its UNIQUE at its ( justifiable) price point and as a killer crossover in a high end system its a beautiful way to hear music.

As you can tell I am a DEQX fan and any comparison with a Behringer is just ridiculous!

Mine is three years old and still amazing...I am thinking about selling mine to buy the latest version. As a speaker designer a DEQX is almost indispensable.

Even although I am currently aiming to develop a 100% PC based system with all Eq and crossovers done in software mode ( i.e. No DEQX) the DEQX is still a great value design tool and awesome musical crossover and Eq.

Phew..Feel better now!
Cheers
Derek.

found this in which 0000 is user-defined?

Table 22. Bass Management Crossover Frequency

XO3..0) Crossover Frequency
0000 User -Defined
0001 80 Hz
0010 100 Hz
0011 120 Hz
0100 140 Hz
0101 160 Hz
0110 180 Hz
0111 200 Hz
1000 220 Hz
1001 240 Hz
1010 260 Hz
1011 280 Hz
1100 300 Hz
1101 320 Hz
1110 340 Hz
1111 360 Hz

unfortunately I'm by no means electronics savvy enough to know if this helps on the quest for a lower xover frequency. now my question would be since it says "user-defined" how to go about defining it....

Interesting read! Just received mine yesterday and will be testing some of your modifications as soon as it settles in. Regarding the LipoFe4 3.3V battery supply, do you simply plug it in when listening and recharge it when not?

On my DDX there is a horrible distortion when activating either of the Bass-Boost filters, is this something you recognize or could I blame it on a horribly underpowered temporary power supply.

I find strange that the datasheet does not contain a power/distortion diagram. The only indication is the peak power when the amp starts to hard clip (10% distortion). Which rms output power could we expect at a reasonable distortion, say 0.5% ?

@Soundcheck
1) Wich power supply do you use? Is it better to feed the DDX320 with a power transformer (AC) or a SMPS300R (DC)? Do you think a linear power supply would provide improvements in sound?

2) In your blog you suggest to add a transformer to the spdif inputs, but looking at the schematic I found that the DDX320 already has those input transoformers. Do you mean the additional spdif inputs directly connected to the receiver through the CN1 connector?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I find strange that the datasheet does not contain a power/distortion diagram. The only indication is the peak power when the amp starts to hard clip (10% distortion). Which rms output power could we expect at a reasonable distortion, say 0.5% ?

@Soundcheck
1) Wich power supply do you use? Is it better to feed the DDX320 with a power transformer (AC) or a SMPS300R (DC)? Do you think a linear power supply would provide improvements in sound?

2) In your blog you suggest to add a transformer to the spdif inputs, but looking at the schematic I found that the DDX320 already has those input transoformers. Do you mean the additional spdif inputs directly connected to the receiver through the CN1 connector?

Thanks a lot.

1. I'm still using my good old 24 very low ESR (2 mR) batteries.
I do have some other 24 supplies around.
2. There is no transformer I'd be aware of.
HifiMeDiy told me, that they skipped it because of single ended WM8805
inputs.

just discovered this 2.1 board and want to use it in a 2.1 design I'm developing updated_wmd.jpg

I have NO real experience with electronics so will get a pro to do that part of the install, but what reasonably inexpensive power supply would you guys recommend (to fit inside the sub)

PS Soundcheck, following this thread.. you are obsessed (in a good way):cool:

Last edited:
Hey,

my remote has become very erratic and I have a hard time controlling the thing. Regardless of which button I press I almost always change EQ settings :( other remote controlled features are more or less inaccesible at the moment.

@ Soundcheck, did you get anything working with the codes? Support sent them to me but I haven't the slightetst clue what to do with them at the moment.... would it be possible to program a Harmony remote (for example)?

Hey,
@ Soundcheck, did you get anything working with the codes? Support sent them to me but I haven't the slightetst clue what to do with them at the moment.... would it be possible to program a Harmony remote (for example)?

No. They were useless for my purposes.

I recorded the codes directly from the remote on my Linux machine using lirc.

Last edited:
I was just informed by a fellow DIYer that HifiMeDIY released an updated DDX a V2.1.

I had a quick look at the image he sent over.

On a first glance they improved

* the routing/traces/part locations.
* decoupling
* introduced Pana FCs all over the place (except the large buffer caps)
* 2 Pulse pulsetransformers for SPDIF-coax
* clock looks much better implemented.

Looks as if they're listening. ;)

@DiyHiFiMe: Would have been nice of you to send over a production sample for testing ... ;)

I hope next time...

... since IMO two major issues are still not adressed:

1. better output coils and the coil mounting
2. switchable (internal/external-header) 3.3V supply option to be able to replace easily the real mediocre DC/DC converter and filter parts surrounding it.

3. (option) A clean DC only input without diode in the trace.

One thing I noticed is that the MCU seems to be moved closer to the center of the board. Hmmh. I would have done it the other way around. I'd try to get that part as far away from the audio critical parts and traces as possible. And if possible I2C lines might get isolated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.