• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hlly Tamp-90 Ta2022 Chip "a True Pearl"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I first want to say I did see the thread about the early problems with the 1st version of this board. I saw it after I purchased my amp. I am sorry for those who bought the early version.

"A TRUE PEARL" is how someone described it that bought the HLLY TAMP-90, I agree! Yes, the 2nd version is VERY quiet and very, very good. I waited awhile to write about it to check it out really good.

It is flat out the best Tripath Amp, (best amp) I've heard. The soundfield is huge and deep and rich. But more than that it is much fuller than the TA2020 chip Amps I have, probably the extra watts and the power supply. It sounds very expensive, is how I would describe it.

The breathing of the flute in-between notes comes from an OCTIVE lower than the TA2020, (The Tripath high resolution sound). Other notes that waver just hang there flowing back and forth, eminating from that lower octive. The resolution is very, very good, maybe not quite as good as the TA2020, but ALMOST, and it's coming from that LOWER octive so it sounds deeper and warmer. You take notice of it. I can't seem to get enough of it! It is the signature of this amp, imo. I've found it is addictive to listen to.

The thing that amazed me was once you get it about half volume the BASS really kicks in, and as you turn it up the bass continues to increase with you nicely. It is also very musical sounding, it is a wonderful amp.

It was heavier and deeper than I thought it would be. The round blue light that surrounds the power switch is really cool! The RCA's and BANANA connectors are excellent quality. I did replace the power cord they supplied with a "real" one, but no matter, it's a nice feature to have the ability to change out cords. I have pictures I will again try to post tomorrow.

I paid just under $150 and it was free shipping.

Tripath07

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-TAMP-90-90...id=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293:1|294:30

Hi shuggi67,

No hiss in the one I received. I read in the other thread that the early 1st version boards were bad, and had the hiss. The one I received is the 2nd version board, if you read the other thread someone else said the new version was pretty good also.

I am very happy with mine!

I hope that helps,

Tripath07

Hi Tripath,

largely on the strength of your HLLY Tamp-90 analysis, I acquired a version2 on ebay from Lovely Lorolei. Are those her initials in the HLLY name? JUst wondering...

I would like to use the speaker level outputs on this amp to run my separate subwoofer with its own plate amp. I have read somewhere that this connection will cause a problem with certain Tamps. Do you know if this type of connection is feasible?

Do you have a followup review for this amp? Can you share any other hints or experiences with this amp? I am looking forward to playing with this new toy!

Best regards,
Pipsqueak

Hi Pipsqueak,

I hope you like the HLLY 90, I really like mine. I will give you a little follow uo review now. I have been listening to my HLLY 20 lately, not the 90. it is sounding really good. But I went down and listened to the HLLY 90 some the past couple of days. After taking a break from it for a few days to listen to another amp gives you a good perspective on things. I have to say that the HLLY 90 has a more open, wider, deeper soundstage than the HLLY 20. I really like the HLLY 20 though with the 12v 7ah battery, don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying it lately with the battery! The HLLY 90 imo, sounds like a very expensive amplifier. I also feel that way about the Sansui 8900ZDB, although in a little different way, maybe not quite as expensive sound as the HLLY 90. The Sansui has an older, warm, detailed sound, I listen to the Sansui a little almost everyday. The HLLY 90 lays down a very impressive sounding soundfield!

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do with the subwoofer? Explain it again. But I use my subwoofer in the family room when my wife is "out of town" to hook up to one of my little Tamp's. I run the speaker out's of the Tamp to the sub speaker in's. Then run the speaker out 's of the sub into my Paradigm Monitor 3"s that I bring down from the master bedroom. :) I hook up a Toshiba 3750 to the tamp, and adjust the sub accordingly! Great sound, the little Tamps really sound good this way.

I hope this helps! Keep in touch, let me know how you like your HLLY 90!

Tripath07

Tripath,

Thanks for your update on the Tamp-90. Good stuff!

I just won the HLLY auction last night so it will probably be a week or so before I receive the HLLY.

Right now I am sitting here listening to Jim Cole on my JVC FX10. Sweet sounds! This is a wonderful Class D amp (actually a 6.1 receiver) running 100 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. A friend of mine recommended the JVC after I sold him my Magnepan MMG's. Warmer sound than the famous Panasonic class d amps.

Some audiophiles were dumping their multi-thousand dollar amps in favor of the JVC. In fact, I sold my Denon 3805 because this little amp was superior sound in every respect. I went through a littany of audio amps: Decware 84CS, Jolida 1501RC, ASL EL34 amp, Audio Refinement Complete, Rotel and others before taking a plunge for the JVC. I have never looked back... and I only paid $269 for the JVC new. I am truly amazed at just how great this class d marvel is.

Whoops...this post was supposed to be about the HLLY Tamp-90! LOL

I'll report back as soon as I get some rocking chair time with the HLLY. Again, my appreciation for your contribution! BTW, I live in SW Wisconsin, and we are only a few hours apart...maybe sometime we can gather our audio gear and compare notes.

Best regards,
Pipsqueak

Hlly Tamp 90

I spent several hours with the t-90 yesterday. I won't review it until it's had more time, but I like it so far.

I can confirm that this version has no hiss. One way they may have dealt with the hiss is to have dropped the input sensitivity. A pre-amp helped matters considerably, but the t-90 didn't seem to be a great match for a very low line level signal.

I was very happy with the quality of the music coming out of my system btw. It's really good with woodwinds and massed voices (you can make out timbres (oboes, clarinets, and bassoons playing together sound like distinct instruments and you can even count the number of singers in close harmony). It also makes rock and roll rock which is something I could never get out of a tripath 2024 with my speakers (89 db or so). I don't think it's going to be a Krell down low, but there's a huge difference (as one would expect) with the lower power tripath amps.

HLLY TAMP - 90 has arrived

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know my new fabulous HLLY TAMP - 90 arrived today. Quick shipment from China. Arrived in perfect shape. However, no manual, no specs. I'll be replacing the pathetic little IEC power cable they ship with the amp.

It's bigger and heavier than I imagined...your cables won't pull it around on your equipment rack like the smaller Tripath amps.

So now I am breaking it in...and so far, I am mightily impressed even though it has only had about an hour to break in.

NO HISS! Thank goodness.

I am using my Vinnie Rossi modded Pioneer DVD player, Signalcable interconnects and speaker wires and 88db Infinity IL20 speakers. Doesn't seem at all necessary to muck things up with a sub at this point.

Sweet, articulate highs without sibilance. Solid bass.

Will report more after I have a chance to put this little gem through its paces after it's broken-in sufficiently. So far...I'm loving it!

BTW, HLLY customer support is quick to provide tracking info and answer questions...excellent.

More soon,
Bob

Hi mfong,

It's great to hear from someone else who has an HLLY T90. It sounds like you like it so far. Do you have it hooked up to a pre-amp now, or did you just try it out for a few minutes? Was it better with or without the pre-amp? I have a NAD pre-amp that I had hooked up to my Trends for awhile, before I got the Sansui 8900ZDB's. Now with the HLLY T20 and T90 the Trends may be hitting ebay. I haven't used the NAD Pre-amp for awhile, hmmm, I may have to break it out for a minute or two.

I am still enjoying my HLLY T90, I will write another review next week after I break it in more.

Hope to hear more about your HLLY T90 during it's break in!

Tripath07

Hi Pipsqueak,

I'm glad it arrived! Yes, I also thought it was heavier, and deeper than I thought it would be. It sounds like you are really liking it so far. I also am very happy with my HLLY T90.

BTW, I am also really happy with my HLLY T20 with the SLA battery!

I will also write more next week as it breaks in, and I will update everyone on a couple of other HLLY T90 system updats. :)

Tripath07

I spent about half the day listening without a pre-amp then connected it to a tubed pre-amp. It's dramatically better with a pre-amp. The dynamics in particular come across much better.

I had it connected to my computer sound card directly the first time and it actually couldn't play much louder subjectively than my sonic impact. I'm pretty sure it's an input sensitivity issue. With the pre-amp the difference in power is very apparent.

I did some more experimenting. I have an old Sony ES cd player that has an option for variable output, essentially a volume control. It actually could play very loud with the Hlly, but going to the fixed level output of the CD player, it needed a pre-amp to really shine. I'll likely experiment with a few sources.
I've had a similar issue with a couple LM 3886 based amps in the past. Low ouput sources just couldn't bloom without a pre-amp.
I had a pair of Swans powered speakers as well that had the issue.

So far, the amp keeps growing on me sound wise.

mfong,

I'm thinking about what you are saying about not being able to play it loud? The HLLY T90 is 90 WPC, you should have no problem at all with power. One thing I've found is it doesn't really get loud until you turn the volume knob over half way, then about 2/3 to 3/4 volume and then she really shines. The bass comes in with the volume as you turn the volume knob over half way and on up from there more bass comes in.

I just wanted to make sure you've tried the volume knob almost all the way up. At first I really didn't turn it up that much past half way, and then I discovered it needs to be turned up!

good luck! Let us know how it goes,

Tripath07

Tripath,
thanks....
The manufacturer is claiming 90 watts into 4 ohms, but it's more like 60 watts into 8 ohms by their own specs.

I've had 250 watt class AB transistor amplifiers that couldn't play certain sources loud straight from source to amp....One of the reasons they have preamps is because phono cartridges weren't high enough output to go straight to an amplifier, that an the RIAA equalization. At one point, when moving coil cartridges were big a lot of folk were using a pre-pre-amp in addition to a pre amp and power amp.

I'm just saying my computer sound card and my CD player's fixed output were a little too low for the Hlly to perform well with those particular sources even with the volume on the Hlly turned well up.

I like the amplifier a lot so far. It is a different kind of sound from the tripath 2020 and 2024 amps I've heard though. Those always sounded very airy. These don't, but not in a bad way at all. If airy is notes floating in space, the 2022 is more a sense of solid instruments being played in the room. You can hear the body of the bass violin for instance.

Tubes have a similar thing. I always thought low power tubes had this wonderful delicacy like the 300B. Once I got into higher-powered tube amps, some of that delicacy slipped away. I have no idea what the technical resons might be. It's one of the reasons, I've been interested in what happens with tripath amps when you get beyond 15 w/channel. I had noticed that the higher power amps were very slow in coming.

mfong,

Good point about the 60 WPC into 8 ohms. Ok, I gotcha on the output. I'm going to hook up my NAD pre-amp at some point here to check it out. I wish I had a tube pre-amp, though which is more suited for Tripath amps.

I also noticed the difference in the TA2022 chip from the 2024 and the 2020. The HLLY 90 WITH THE 2022 chip sounds wider, more open, deeper, of course more power, maybe slightly less articulate than the 2020 chip. But the articulation you hear comes from a LOWER octive, and that is a very sweet sound, imo! As I have said, it's an expensive sound I have coming out of my HLLY 90. My Pioneer HPM 900's may not look great (see pics on the HLLY 2020 THREAD), I have some cosmetic work to do, :) but with the mods I've done they sound like super speakers!

Keep updating your HLLY 90's break-in! I'll be posting some interesting updates on the HLLY 90 system next week, after some more testing.

I posted this over at upgrade island while the forum was being remodelled, but thought I'd link my experience with the Hlly t-90 here. I like it a lot, but I am having trouble with the mute circuit and have been trying to talk to Hlly a bit more about how it's implemented.

Hlly had told me 5% overvoltage. A lot of service panels here in California and I assume throught the US are set at 110 or 120 volts AC. if they set it at 5% of 110, or vice versa, an actual and normal 120 would engage the mute circuit.

It's also possible that I have a bad amp, but I suspect that's unlikely. It works too well when it works which is most of the time. I did notice that at least one person had an issue with the mute circuit with the first version of these amps.

http://chancelucky.blogspot.com/2009/08/hlly-t-90-cheap-class-d-amp-with-actual.html

The HLLY T90 continues to produce a very high end sound! mfong, sorry to hear about the problem with yours.

I wanted to give an update on some system stuff with the HLLY T90 and my Sansui 8900ZDB system!

The first is the addition of the Monster Z4 speaker cables. Just an amazing sounding cable! The Z4 envelopes you with beautiful, full, warm, sweet sounds! I liked the pair for the HLLY T90 system so much, I watched ebay and picked up a second pair of Z4's for the Sansui 8900ZDB system, only $120! Fantastic results with the Z4 cables with the Sansui also! I then grabbed a pair of Z3 speaker cables to go with the Z4's in the Sansui system as with the Sansui I play both sets of speakers at the same time.

The second "development" is crazy, my brother in law had been telling me about Monster Power for years, and I really never wanted to spend the money, but I finally did and the results were very interesting.

I ended up purchasing a Monster powercenter on ebay for $129 & free shipping. A great deal, this model is brand new and retails for $399. It's model HDP 2400. First thing it really helped the Sansui 8900ZDB! It however had an unfavorable effect on the HLLY T90, it kinda supressed the dynamics! So I was pleased with one system but not the other. Then I had a thought leave the HLLY plugged into the wall, and just plug the Toshiba 3750 DVD player into the Monster HDP 2400. Bingo!!! The sound coming out of the HLLY was so much fuller and warmer and sweeter! I believe the HDP 2400 really helped the Toshiba put out much more of it's 108 db audio dynamic range! So now I just ordered a second HDP 2400 from the same seller for the Sansui system!

I campared the sound before, the Toshiba plugged into the wall (it sounded thin), and after with the Toshiba plugged into the 2400 and it sounded, like I said so much fuller, warmer and sweeter.

One more VERY interesting thing with the 2400, when you depress the LED light button to increase the brightness of the LED's it increases the dynamics of the music. Like I said very interesting, I believe it gives you 5 different levels to choose from. Setting one is no expansion, and each level increase it a little bit. I like setting one,two or three, depending on the music!

The end result of these developments is a really high end sound out of the HLLY T90!

Tripath07

My Hlly t-90 seems to have stabilized some and the mute's been less of a problem. I still haven't heard further from the company.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who's gotten to spend time with the Virtue Audio, the Hlly T-90, the Pop Pulse, the Sure, and the Amp 11 (is that the model?) from 41 hz.

I've been surprised that there isn't more interest in higher-powered class D. A lot of us do like multi-driver speakers that aren't horn-loaded.

In the meantime, I've been playing with a Hlly t-20 board. I'm going to try replacing the 2400 micro farad filter cap with 4700.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.