• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

C-Horn now built

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HM, I did not do a sim prior to building. I used basic principles of horn design and tuned to my ear. I've built a number of exotic horns...but I know this...the Visaton works.

I'm happy to trade off some of the highs for an improved bass over the Lowthers. Saving $$'s only make is sweeter.

People can sim all they like...but the proof is in the listening....which I just did tonight, after plugging my DVD into my 300B SET amp and enjoyed a 90-minute Los Lobos live concert on a big Plasma, with the audio running through the C-Horns. Love it....

HM, the C-Horn is a commercial product, so I'm not at liberty to disclose more than what I already have.

The other horns I have built that are in the public domain are the Big Fun, the Medallion II, the Fostex BK16 and BK20....plus various large Tannoy vintage horns...GRF etc.

I have also built a variation of the BK20 using my own modded ideas to test throat sizing, curved horn paths etc.

I have also built (and am licensed) to build Jim Carfrae's Little Big Horn...this uses a tractrix 2.0m horn path. His drawings are not public.

I have also done a little work with David D on a Curvy Bruce horn.

Others are well into sims and models...where I tend to get on and build samples...which just happened to have worked out well. Sorry if this radical and risk-taking approach may not be to your liking.

Kind Regards.

Andrew.

hm said:
Hello Human bin,

the RDH20 is a double horn,
the B200 horn is no real bass horn if you see inside,
may be you read about what in the middle:
http://www.hm-moreart.de/11.htm

atilsley,
commercial, than you have not post it here its DIY,
commercial, and you don´t know the flare rate,
and no measurement at all?
poor customers.

I think you misunderstand Andrew, what he means is that the designs he makes are done in agreement (I suppose the word license comes to mind) and thus allowed to make those designs. He should then not disclose. But the work that you insists needs done has already been done by Jim Carfrae etc.

But Andrew will supply them as DIY kits in highly customised form. So there is a definite DIY component here and I for one do not mind showing us what he does.

Re horns, I have limited experience as I do other kinds of designs. But I have had this discussion with Andrew that I suspected that some drivers, especially Lowthers, are too over-damped, even for horns - their very Low Qe is what gives them such high efficiency (and sensitivity) but also can act as a brake at LF. But since I had a pair of B200 and had an opportunity letting Andrew try them in horns, why not? I heard them in one of his horns and liked what I heard, in which case I suspect others will as well.

Re measurements, these can be arranged in time (I have the necessary facilities right here) and perhaps doing it with the Visatons in the C-Horns would be a good idea and also instructive. But in the meantime we can listen and enjoy them. The rest is academic

Joe R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.