• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Audio amplifier kits, modules and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaker protection spc1

I am interested in the SPC1 speaker protection module. Can you provide some details of this module please? eg
1) circuit description - ie what it senses and the levels etc that will cause it to switch
2) adjustability - eg sensitivity of DC protection (I am having problems with a too sensitive protection circuit at the moment)
3) power supply requirements (I only have +/-12v)
4) if it has AC sense based on transformer secondary sensing (which I dont want since Im using an SMPS) and whether this can be bypassed if using an smps
5) mono or stereo
6) How is short circuit protection implemented?
7) limitations (voltages for speaker and for its own supply)
etc...

A circuit diagram would address most of these questions.
Thanks,
Derick

Hi Jeff,

I jst purchased 2 x TDA8920BTH (the B version if important if still available) each configured in bridge mode. This gives you roughly 130 W @ 8 ohm, for this I purchase a 2 x 20Vac, 400VA transformer. This IC is internally limited to 8A so I guess 300VA would be OK

Here are some notes I received from cnx regarding the pinout;

'The TDA8920 heatsink must be electrically (not thermally) isolated from the IC, this is connected to V- not to GND. Insert one strip of insultaing material which u should place between HeatSink and IC.

The boards have screw type terminal block (the green connectors) for power and output. For input i suggest to solder the wires, directely to the pins which i attached.

Power connector:
1; AC1 in,
2,3; GND
4;AC2 In

Spk connector:
1 OutL
2, GND L,
3, GND R,
4 Out R.

Input connector:
1. Left Input
2. GND
3. Mode (Mute, ST-by, ON)
4. GND
5. Right Input

Note that input L and R are shifted 180 degrees, so you need to connect one loudspeaker with + at GND. this is usefull when u want to use in BTL mode, just connect both inputs togeteher and the load between two outputs.'

Hope this helps,
Eric

dgm,
the speaker protection board is built arround upc1237 ic. it monitors 2 channels, for a stereo amplifier. it senses the presence of DC component on the output of the amplifier and disconnect the relay. the sensing sensitivity is arround 2-5V DC and can be modified by changing the values of onboard resistors. the power supply requirement is 10-15V AC and uses a separate winding both for power and sense. can be powered from smps also, but the ground need to be galvanic isolated from the main ground. the maximum power for which can be used is 400W and can be increased by changing the components values. the shortcircuit protection has not been implemented on this board.

cirrus,

to answer to your question, i will quote from the amplifier module datasheets few charcteristics:
"ƒÞ TDA8920: Output Power: 2x70W at 4£[, or 35W at 8£[, with max. 0.1% THD+N, at +/- 27V Supply Voltage.
ƒÞ TDA8924: Output Power: 2x70W at 4£[, or 35W at 8£[, with max. 0.1% THD+N, at +/-27V Supply Voltage.
ƒÞ Output Power in Bridge mode: 160W at 4£[, +/-24V or 135W at 8£[, +/-27V Supply Voltage.
ƒÞ Audiophile sound Quality: 0.02% THD+N at 36W at 4£[ or 20W at 8£[.
ƒÞ Very good efficiency: Up to 90% at 2x35W at 8£[ or up to 87% at 2x70W at 4£[.
"
i consider them audiophile quality, and i also built my own system whic i use for listening with this amplifiers.

please send me an email request and i will send you the datasheets for them.

Its Working!!

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

:D

Hi xaudiox,

Congratulations! nice case. How does it sound? Did you have any grounding issues? Mine sounded great when it was powering a fullrange set of speakers on it's own but as soon as I hooked it up to my crossover in my tri-amped system I had huge ground loop problem.

Now I have made another problem drilling a hole in one of the bulk storage caps when I was modifying the case :(

col.

some manuals and schematics can be downloaded from the following links. as soon as write more documents i will upload them there.
http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/TDA892x_Audio_Amplifier_Module.pdf
http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/TA3020_Audio_Amplifier_Module.pdf
http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/TA2022_Amplifier_Board.pdf
http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/DA-1_Short_Form_Description.pdf

col, the capacitors can be replaced, prefferably with similar capacity and voltage rating capacitors. i would not advice to use the board without them, even if you have larger capacitors outside the board.
the ground loop problem can be solved by separating the amplifier ground power supply from the other stages ground power supply. also the board has star ground confiuration, and the star is connected to the mounting hole between the output inductors. also try to isolate the other ground connections form the chassis, and keep only the star ground.

col said:
Hi xaudiox,

Congratulations! nice case. How does it sound? Did you have any grounding issues? Mine sounded great when it was powering a fullrange set of speakers on it's own but as soon as I hooked it up to my crossover in my tri-amped system I had huge ground loop problem.

Hi

Thanks. I've just finished putting it together and only managed to test it with my speakers for few minutes.. So far, impressions are very good.. They sound sweet, no hum, no thump..

I'm using 2x40Vac 500VA toroid, PS10K80 psu (upgrade caps to 18mF x 6pcs) and TA3020 amp..

Will test it thoroughly tomorrow morning..

thanks

TA3020 caps: 100v 3300uF Nippon Chemi-Con KMG series non-existant

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but according to this chemi-con list of the KMG series capacitors there doesn't exist a 100v 3300uf cap.

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/al-e/al-sepa-e/004-lead/al-kmg-e-080829.pdf

Also the KMG series is not snap in, It's standard radial.

Iv'e ordered some Nichcon replacements from rscomponents.

col.

i bought about 100 pcs of that capacitors, so if i have them, i think they exist. there are many parts from diferent manufactures which are not listed in datasheets or other places. i also test them when i buy, just in case. some components can be discontinued after a wile or can be made for some special order, for a specific customer and they are not listed, and extra stock they sell.

i used for the boards only geniune parts, and i tested them before use, and they are according with the parameters stated in the datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.