• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New 8" full range speaker from L CAO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
( I am here to happily introduce a new 8" full range speaker from L CAO in China. The following is a translation from L CAO's post at http://www.diybuy.net/thread-140180-1-1.html. )

After three years, finally the 8" full range speaker is fledged. I can still recall those days when I was looking for material to build the paper cone, recall the numerous miles left behind just for several types that met my requirement. They were manually cold-processed, decomposing in 3 months and yielding long fibers. This was only the first step.

The second step was to determine the cone shape. I modified it many times before getting satisfactory result.

The third step was to experiment on other components of the speaker. I can't recall how many different combinations I have tried; what I can recall is that I have experimented on 10 different voice coils.

Many people had listened to it. They gave me many valuable critics and suggestions. The design was not finalized until most of them felt it was satisfactory.

Features
Magnet: type Y30,Diameter 130mm (5.1"), height 15mm (19/32")
T shaped iron core is machined from a block.
Symmetric magnet circuit, with shorting ring to suppress distortion.
Voice coil bobbin is made from special material. Diameter 25mm (1")
Frame is made of Aluminum-Magnesium alloy.
Spider is cold press shaped. Overall, one spider is picked from 3.

Measures
Power 30W
Impedance 8 Ohms
Xmax 1.8mm
Sensitivity 94DB
Resonant frequency 55Hz
Qts: 0.65
Vas: 70 liters

Speaker in cabinet
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Speaker in cabinet with equalizer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Equalizer

Distortion of speaker in cabinet with equalizer

Some pictures

Here are some pictures. The original post is http://www.diybuy.net/thread-142365-1-1.html.(One must be logged to view the post at diybuy.net)

Packaging: cone protector

Bottom foam

Top foam

HighVividity said:
( I am here to happily introduce a new 8" full range speaker from L CAO in China. The following is a translation from L CAO's post at http://www.diybuy.net/thread-140180-1-1.html. )

Features
<SNIP>
Overall, one spider is picked from 3.
<SNIP>

If the meaning is that the factory rejects 2/3 of its product then that seems indicative of out-of-control production processes.

Caveat emptor!

Re: Re: New 8" full range speaker from L CAO

Brisso57 said:

If the meaning is that the factory rejects 2/3 of its product then that seems indicative of out-of-control production processes.

Caveat emptor!

Typical comment, trying to rubbish Chinese product.

If you don't know either ask or keep quiet, don't make wild guesses here.

Re: Re: Re: New 8" full range speaker from L CAO

ttan98 said:

Typical comment, trying to rubbish Chinese product.

If you don't know either ask or keep quiet, don't make wild guesses here.

OK. Fine.
The literal meaning is as commented. Is this correct? Are 2/3 of the production spiders rejected as substandard?
It's quite a relevant question actually.

PS "Typical" of whom? Someone outside the cheer-squad? If a statement is made, let it be defended. That's how it is in democracies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New 8" full range speaker from L CAO

Brisso57 said:

OK. Fine.
The literal meaning is as commented. Is this correct? Are 2/3 of the production spiders rejected as substandard?
It's quite a relevant question actually.

PS "Typical" of whom? Someone outside the cheer-squad? If a statement is made, let it be defended. That's how it is in democracies.

Thank you for your comments. I will direct your question to L CAO. I hope he can give you some answers soon.

HighVividity said:

They gave me many valuable critics and suggestions.[/IMG]

Thanks for the detailed measurements, but with relatively high Q peaks in the consonant and especially in the sibilance BWs, at USA pricing these would have to be addressed before I would want to spend any quality time with them.

GM

GM said:

Thanks for the detailed measurements, but with relatively high Q peaks in the consonant and especially in the sibilance BWs, at USA pricing these would have to be addressed before I would want to spend any quality time with them.

GM

Thank you for your comments. Are you referring to the lump between 1KHz and 5KHz before equalizing network is applied? Please help me here because I do not know whether using an equalizer is a good idea or bad idea. Thank you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.