• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: DSD Output

Russ,
Will the SPDIF board work for converting I2S to SPDIF? It looks like yes from the Wolfson Datasheet.

Can you use both sets of inputs and outputs at the same time for 2 different channels or would this not be recommended for clocking reasons?

I2S->SPDIF on one
SPDIF->I2S with another signal on the other

My application is:
Home theater receiver tap I2S->convert to SPDIF->Home theater computer with digital crossovers (BruteFIR)->SPDIF convert to I2S->DAC->Volume control

Re: Re: Re: Re: DSD Output

audionutty said:
Russ,
Will the SPDIF board work for converting I2S to SPDIF? It looks like yes from the Wolfson Datasheet.

Can you use both sets of inputs and outputs at the same time for 2 different channels or would this not be recommended for clocking reasons?

I2S->SPDIF on one
SPDIF->I2S with another signal on the other

My application is:
Home theater receiver tap I2S->convert to SPDIF->Home theater computer with digital crossovers (BruteFIR)->SPDIF convert to I2S->DAC->Volume control

Yes it will do exactly that. In fact I have been using it as a transmitter and receiver quite a lot.

You can use one board only as a receiver or a transmitter, not both simultaneously.

Cheers!
Russ

I finally did a mock up of my cd player project using a PC cd-rom drive. Finally, its taking forever. A couple of questions arose when I got it playing through the cd-rom spdif into my Parasound preamp.

I was concerned with power on/off. I connected the seperate transformer used to the cd-rom controller board. I found out that one of the buttons on the controller turns the controller on and off. It is still getting power from the transformer obviously. With this in mind, do I still need to have a main switch between the IEC socket and the 2 transformers. Or do I leave power to the Twisted Pear spdif reciever and the 2 Opus's all the time? Is there any detriment to having constant power to the DACs?

Thank you
Darren

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DSD Output

Russ White said:

I am not actually sure what you mean here...

I think you answered my question before when you said that it cannot do input and output at the same time....Since I need to do I2S->SPDIF conversion and then later in the signal flow SPDIF->I2S conversion, I was trying to figure out if I could use the same board for double-duty and reduce the total number of boards needed.

Russ White said:
Sorry, I misspoke, I was only meaning in the context of I2S.

If you are using SPDIF input, you actually can do SPDIF output at the same time (and I am pretty sure even still use the PCM output), and the SPDIF output will be de-jittered (ok that just sounds wierd).

But you can't take I2S in and put I2S out at the same time.

Don't think you misspoke, I probably just read too much between the lines :) That's great news that I'll be able to do a de-jittered SPDIF loop out! It'll certainly be fun doing some comparison once it's put together:cool:

Thanks!

neb001 said:
fierce,

What settings are you using on the metronome? Also what's your current opus setup like? :)

Hi nebby, I'm using upsampling to 192khz and outputting 24bit I2s to the DACs. Currently my opus setup is Receiver -> Metronome -> Dual DACs -> Ballsie, all using the twisted pear audio power supplies. I also had my Ballsie at +-12V, so I cranked it up to +-15V and noticed an improvement (didn't really think I would).

As far as the tweaks I mentioned earlier, I've come up with a layout that will leave all cabling between boards as absolutely short as possible, so I'm going to implement that when I get the time (so many projects). I've also considered using more advanced supplies to power the boards, but I'm not sure if I'll realize any benefit from it.

I'm also considering using more seperate supplies...Brian, Russ, anyone, any thoughts on which components to seperate supply-wise and whether or not it would help much? Obviously this is getting to the last 5%, performance wise, but that's what this hobby is about, for me.

I'm also debating on whether to continue with the Ballsie and change out the DAC coupling caps for blackgates or whether the TXD would perform at a similar or better level as the Ballsie, with the benefit of removing the coupling caps alltogether. I'll probably stick with the Ballsie, but I'd appreciate any input on this, too, Brian and Russ.

One last question...what is the maximum gauge wire that will fit through the boards (where the screw-down terminals currently are)?

The TXD can certainly replace the Ballsie if you want. Are you only using single ended gear? If so you don't need to use the coupling caps with the ballsie.

The TXD works very well for balanced signals, I actually have been using the TXD as a balanced headamp (into HD650s) lately (it can do 85ma output). It of course also requires no coupling caps. Personally I would try to eliminate the caps instead of trying exotic varieties.

I am not sure what the max is, but the terminals should easily take 18g wire, maybe even bigger. For inside the case stuff 18g should be way more than enough overkill for even the die hard. :) I usually use 22g or 24g for inside the case work.

Cheers!
Russ

fierce_freak said:

As far as the tweaks I mentioned earlier, I've come up with a layout that will leave all cabling between boards as absolutely short as possible...

I bet your cables can't get any shorter than this: http://picasaweb.google.com/bugandang/OpusDac/photo?authkey=YTOvsvrrU1Y#5152611865761206482 :)

I'm contemplating the same thing about using TXD to eliminate the capacitors and buffer the output. The choices of capacitors and the different tests and opinions that people have done with other devices is mind-numbing. Better not use them... But I'm hoping for TXD2 in stereo in the same form-factor as the rest of OPUS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.