• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jleaman said:

I agree, fire-wire is for speed/data intence hardware. A audio device such as a DAC will never even closely use the amount of bandwidth need that Fw400-800 can supply.

Fire-wire is not just build for speed. The whole technology is far better than USB. It has decent timing control, better bandwidth allocation, and much more fun stuff. Oh well, who cares, USB works just fine..

Speaking about that: the USB board also has a SPDIF output. Would it be smart to link that to the new Wolfson SPDIF receiver, let it decently reclock there, and then let the data go to the DAC from there, in stead of directly linking the USB receiver to the DAC? My guess is that jitter might be reduced even further (the PCM2707 doesn't really say a lot about that though).

An added bonus might be that switching the SPDIF signal might be a lot easier that switching I2S.

Firewire evolved because of USB 1.1 speed limitations. Latency is not an issue when using ASIO drivers.

Today USB 2.0 has better performances than Firewire and some sound cards using USB 2.0 appeared:

MOTU 828mkII USB 2.0
E-MU 0404 USB 2.0
EDIROL UA101 USB 2.0

It exists Firewire II faster than USB 2, but not so diffused.

However there is not an analogue to PCM2707 based on USB 2.0, but it will be needed (and maybe released) wnen, and if, we will have plenty of 24bit/192 khz music to play. :)

thomaseliot said:
Today USB 2.0 has better performances than Firewire and some sound cards using USB 2.0 appeared:

Yeh, as if those 80 Mbits will make a difference in real life... Fact is that with most devices Firewire performance is still better that USB 2, and needed CPU power is far less.

However there is not an analogue to PCM2707 based on USB 2.0, but it will be needed (and maybe released) wnen, and if, we will have plenty of 24bit/192 khz music to play. :)

Actually, 24/192 might even work with USB 1.1 it's about 8.7 Mbit/second, so there is still some room for signaling an packeting ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thomaseliot said:
Firewire evolved because of USB 1.1 speed limitations. Latency is not an issue when using ASIO drivers.

Firewire was developed completely independently of USB 1.0 and in the same time frame. USB had nothing to do with FireWire

This is not true at all. Firewire was developed from the get-go as a transport for high-denity media and when used with video, large amounts of data, or even audio Firewire 400 handily out-classes USB 2.0 (check out posts by Fast Eddy for technical reasons)

Anyone who has used an external drive with both Firewire & USB connectivity can attest to the difference (the USB cables for my drive iare stored away).

I don't know about Windows (where drivers can be a real pain -- actually that pretty much applies to most of Windows) but on a Mac Firewire is native & just works.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually, 24/192 might even work with USB 1.1 it's about 8.7 Mbit/second, so there is still some room for signaling an packeting

So it appears that USB 1.1 is more than fine for standard CD data rates then.

Knowing the minimum requirements is quite helpful since I have a lot of old stuff laying around.

I have three computers not used so much, with only USB 1.1 connections:

- a Blue/white Mac G3 with a 350 mHz processor
Could be updated with a USB 2 card

- a 450 mhz Mac iMac - the kind with the CRT screen in a lovely strawberry color.. tough to update the USB, unless there's a Firewire/USB translator box? cause it does have Firewire of course..

- a PC with a 1.2 mhz Athlon. I still kinda use this for work, so more a future thing

Anyone care to opine on how will each of these work with Russ's USB DAC? And maybe more generally, what processor speeds will work with CD bitrate audio and 24/192.

Variac said:

So it appears that USB 1.1 is more than fine for standard CD data rates then.

Knowing the minimum requirements is quite helpful since I have a lot of old stuff laying around.

I have three computers not used so much, with only USB 1.1 connections:

- a Blue/white Mac G3 with a 350 mHz processor
Could be updated with a USB 2 card

- a 450 mhz Mac iMac - the kind with the CRT screen in a lovely strawberry color.. tough to update the USB, unless there's a Firewire/USB translator box? cause it does have Firewire of course..

- a PC with a 1.2 mhz Athlon. I still kinda use this for work, so more a future thing

Anyone care to opine on how will each of these work with Russ's USB DAC? And maybe more generally, what processor speeds will work with CD bitrate audio and 24/192.

It should work just fine, if the mac is running osx it will be fine too. :) OSX = compatible :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Jason,

so you don't see any problem with the mere 350 Mhz processor? Just sending the data out the port isn't much of a load I guess.. It just occured to me that if it can play a CD, it can do the job, right?
I have a clever guy who has the latest OSX running on the iMac, and it's 450 Mhz, and compact so that's probably the way to go...

My biggest of the big question was whether USB 1.1 was fast enough, and that's been answered. Another question is whether the iMac could handle anexternal USB hard drive AND sent the data out the USB. If it's a single shared USB 1.1, maybe not..... My foolproof plan is to get a Firewire/USB external drive, and run the HD off the Firewire..

mpmarino said:
Variac,

How about http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0609698&cs=19&c=us&l=en

then your external hard drive could be off the usb bus...
OVER PRICED

Variac said:
Very good suggestion. It seems that the networked disk is the coming thing. I have a network with 8 nodes already, some wireless, some not, so it would work for sure. Having the USB means it would still be easy to take to parties.

You could use the imac for your audio server, just remove all the stuff you will never use. Stuff it full of ram and she would be set to go :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Another question is whether the iMac could handle anexternal USB hard drive AND sent the data out the USB. If it's a single shared USB 1.1, maybe not.....

Mark,

Anyone with a Mac & Firewire who gets a USB drive is short-changing themselves. I got a couple of these little MacAlley cases & put a 2 1/2" drive in... fits in your pocket (& with a new enuff machine you can install an OS & run off it -- very convienient for on the road or if you have multiple machines)

(they also make one -- as do quite few others -- for 3.5" drives)

dave

PS; i tried the USB once and gave up on that

Attachments

• macalley-drive.jpg
    macalley-drive.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 967
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Very good suggestion. It seems that the networked disk is the coming thing. I have a network with 8 nodes already, some wireless, some not, so it would work for sure.

The problem with the NAS -- at least mine (a 250 GB Acer) -- is that they typically run a version of Linux and invariably when i try to back a folder up to it. it complains about file names being too long and won't copy a thing. So to back up i have to Zip the folder with a short name & copy that. Very inconvienient.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sorry to have been a bit off topic, but I suspect lots of people will snap up that USB module to use with a music server so it will be useful to discuss this. In my case I have the computer and I have a decent amount of RAM in it, so I will probably use it as the server, BUT there are some problems- The existing hard drive isn't big enough for lossless files, and my buddy who put the OS on it is out of town, and it is tricky to install the system on the old machines. So, the networked disk or and external disk could be a very good solution to mention also. By discussing it we have now found out about the naming thing, so that is valuable also...

Yes Dave, it really isn't much more expensive to get an external box with both Firewire and USB. Then most bases are covered. My son is perfectly happy with a USB2 connection to his external drive from his PC running iTunes. He has no problems and it is plenty fast, and it will work with comps w/o Firewire.

Certainly given the choice between USB1 and Firewire as with my old Macs - you are right-the Firewire would be the way to go!

planet10 said:

The problem with the NAS -- at least mine (a 250 GB Acer) -- is that they typically run a version of Linux and invariably when i try to back a folder up to it. it complains about file names being too long and won't copy a thing. So to back up i have to Zip the folder with a short name & copy that. Very inconvienient.

dave

Why would you buy the Acer Nas drive when you are all about Lacie ? You know and i know that Lacie would be a better product. They do make Nas boxes..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.