Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 21st July 2007, 12:47 AM   #511
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Thanks Jason,

so you don't see any problem with the mere 350 Mhz processor? Just sending the data out the port isn't much of a load I guess.. It just occured to me that if it can play a CD, it can do the job, right?
I have a clever guy who has the latest OSX running on the iMac, and it's 450 Mhz, and compact so that's probably the way to go...

My biggest of the big question was whether USB 1.1 was fast enough, and that's been answered. Another question is whether the iMac could handle anexternal USB hard drive AND sent the data out the USB. If it's a single shared USB 1.1, maybe not..... My foolproof plan is to get a Firewire/USB external drive, and run the HD off the Firewire..
Old 21st July 2007, 01:13 AM   #512
diyAudio Member

Variac,

How about http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=19&c=us&l=en

then your external hard drive could be off the usb bus...
Old 21st July 2007, 01:29 AM   #513
diyAudio Editor

Very good suggestion. It seems that the networked disk is the coming thing. I have a network with 8 nodes already, some wireless, some not, so it would work for sure. Having the USB means it would still be easy to take to parties.
Old 21st July 2007, 01:57 AM   #514
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by mpmarino
Variac,

How about http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=19&c=us&l=en

then your external hard drive could be off the usb bus...
OVER PRICED

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Very good suggestion. It seems that the networked disk is the coming thing. I have a network with 8 nodes already, some wireless, some not, so it would work for sure. Having the USB means it would still be easy to take to parties.

You could use the imac for your audio server, just remove all the stuff you will never use. Stuff it full of ram and she would be set to go
Old 21st July 2007, 02:11 AM   #515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman

OVER PRICED

You could use the imac for your audio server, just remove all the stuff you will never use. Stuff it full of ram and she would be set to go

It was just an example of what I thought would be nice - and easily solve the issue. I wasn't really interested in price shopping.

Have fun dragging the imac to parties.
Old 21st July 2007, 02:57 AM   #516
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Another question is whether the iMac could handle anexternal USB hard drive AND sent the data out the USB. If it's a single shared USB 1.1, maybe not.....
Mark,

Anyone with a Mac & Firewire who gets a USB drive is short-changing themselves. I got a couple of these little MacAlley cases & put a 2 1/2" drive in... fits in your pocket (& with a new enuff machine you can install an OS & run off it -- very convienient for on the road or if you have multiple machines)

(they also make one -- as do quite few others -- for 3.5" drives)

dave

PS; i tried the USB once and gave up on that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macalley-drive.jpg (29.4 KB, 889 views)
Old 21st July 2007, 03:01 AM   #517
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Very good suggestion. It seems that the networked disk is the coming thing. I have a network with 8 nodes already, some wireless, some not, so it would work for sure.
The problem with the NAS -- at least mine (a 250 GB Acer) -- is that they typically run a version of Linux and invariably when i try to back a folder up to it. it complains about file names being too long and won't copy a thing. So to back up i have to Zip the folder with a short name & copy that. Very inconvienient.

dave
Old 21st July 2007, 03:05 AM   #518
diyAudio Editor

Sorry to have been a bit off topic, but I suspect lots of people will snap up that USB module to use with a music server so it will be useful to discuss this. In my case I have the computer and I have a decent amount of RAM in it, so I will probably use it as the server, BUT there are some problems- The existing hard drive isn't big enough for lossless files, and my buddy who put the OS on it is out of town, and it is tricky to install the system on the old machines. So, the networked disk or and external disk could be a very good solution to mention also. By discussing it we have now found out about the naming thing, so that is valuable also...

Yes Dave, it really isn't much more expensive to get an external box with both Firewire and USB. Then most bases are covered. My son is perfectly happy with a USB2 connection to his external drive from his PC running iTunes. He has no problems and it is plenty fast, and it will work with comps w/o Firewire.

Certainly given the choice between USB1 and Firewire as with my old Macs - you are right-the Firewire would be the way to go!
Old 21st July 2007, 03:38 AM   #519
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

The problem with the NAS -- at least mine (a 250 GB Acer) -- is that they typically run a version of Linux and invariably when i try to back a folder up to it. it complains about file names being too long and won't copy a thing. So to back up i have to Zip the folder with a short name & copy that. Very inconvienient.

dave

Why would you buy the Acer Nas drive when you are all about Lacie ? You know and i know that Lacie would be a better product. They do make Nas boxes..
Old 21st July 2007, 04:28 AM   #520
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Why would you buy the Acer Nas drive when you are all about Lacie ?
The 1st LaCie NAS we got was a POS. And the LaCie doesn't double as a wireless router/hub.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!