Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 27th January 2014, 03:38 PM   #1941
diyAudio Member

Default HMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNNA3IS View Post
Hi All

I've just started my opus project. My plan is to make my opus dac modul working with amanero usb and play dsd and pcm stream also without mechanical switching.
Amanero has i2c tools. Is there a way to do it ? So when my foobar sends DSD data to amanero I want it to change mode to dsd on dac with modifying register value.

Certainly I've come across with arduino solution written on hifiduino's site but a bit confusing to me. First I just want the automatic switching.

thanks in advance
Karoly
Buffalo will do auto switching from PCM-DSD, and takes the DSD and PCM/I2S inputs on the same pins (B-IIIse). This is going to be more difficult to implement on the OPUS (or maybe, not possible?)
Old 27th January 2014, 03:49 PM   #1942
diyAudio Member

You will need something like the OTTO-II to switch the signals to the DSD pins. You will therefore need a way to signal the OTTO to switch, but this can be done simply enough with an Arduino GPIO. You will also need to switch chip modes between I2S and DSD by toggling the values of the I2S and DSD pins. Again, with two more GPIOs, this is simple to do.

I have not (personally) played with switching between I2S and DSD on the fly with the Opus (I think Russ may have) so I am not sure if you will also need to issue a reset or not.
Old 27th January 2014, 04:01 PM   #1943
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Buffalo will do auto switching from PCM-DSD, and takes the DSD and PCM/I2S inputs on the same pins (B-IIIse). This is going to be more difficult to implement on the OPUS (or maybe, not possible?)
I bounced this question because I hope someone has solved it already.
Regarding the Buffalo-III I'm aware of that beauty deals with changing correctly but I just bought the OPUS I mentioned earlier so I want it to be working. Anyway If it is not possible I can live with that too and look forward to BIIISE :-D.

With an OTTO-II and a relay maybe ?

Last edited by CaNNA3IS; 27th January 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 28th January 2014, 07:18 AM   #1944
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
You will need something like the OTTO-II to switch the signals to the DSD pins. You will therefore need a way to signal the OTTO to switch, but this can be done simply enough with an Arduino GPIO. You will also need to switch chip modes between I2S and DSD by toggling the values of the I2S and DSD pins. Again, with two more GPIOs, this is simple to do.

I have not (personally) played with switching between I2S and DSD on the fly with the Opus (I think Russ may have) so I am not sure if you will also need to issue a reset or not.
Thanks Brian
I will need some experience of arduino.
Old 28th January 2014, 12:17 PM   #1945
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
The best way to do it is definitely with a controller. If I have some time I will try to write up a solution.
Old 28th January 2014, 02:07 PM   #1946
diyAudio Member

You can definitely to this without a controller, but I got the impression you wanted to use one ("no mechanical switching"). You could use a simple switch to drive a DPDT relay. The switch can control the OTTO directly and the relay contacts can swap the I2S/DSD low/high.
Old 28th January 2014, 02:17 PM   #1947
diyAudio Member

You could indeed do something like that - where a controller could come in handy is detecting changing states such as PCM to DSD if your source has a DSD flag, as well as MUTE state, some sources send a mute signal when changing formats. But you may not need to go to that length - a simple hardware solution may be perfectly sufficient. Also some sources have flags for sample rate (DSD and PCM) which would help you in selecting the right filter for the WM8741.
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:46 AM   #1948
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNNA3IS View Post
Hi All

I've just started my opus project. My plan is to make my opus dac modul working with amanero usb and play dsd and pcm stream also without mechanical switching.
Amanero has i2c tools. Is there a way to do it ? So when my foobar sends DSD data to amanero I want it to change mode to dsd on dac with modifying register value.

Certainly I've come across with arduino solution written on hifiduino's site but a bit confusing to me. First I just want the automatic switching.

thanks in advance
Karoly
exD makes a USB to i2s converter with PCM/DSD support on separate headers. The unit will properly route the signal to the correct header for you during playback.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:26 AM   #1949
diyAudio Member

No need for such complexities. One can actually use the anamero with the opus even in hardware configuration.
Old 30th March 2014, 11:50 AM   #1950
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opus out of stock

Is the Opus still a current item, or is it out of stock because it is no longer going to be available? The TP embedded thread has me considering one for use in a second system with some of the extra parts I have around.

Hide this!Advertise here!