Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 30th January 2008, 10:44 PM   #1131
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Sorry, I misspoke, I was only meaning in the context of I2S.

If you are using SPDIF input, you actually can do SPDIF output at the same time (and I am pretty sure even still use the PCM output), and the SPDIF output will be de-jittered (ok that just sounds wierd).

But you can't take I2S in and put I2S out at the same time.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:00 PM   #1132
diyAudio Member

I should say that if you used the PCM(AIF) clocks in slave mode (not possible in hardware mode) you actually might be able to do the receiving and transmitting with one board. I need to read the DS a bit more. This would be very application specific.

That would require using the chip in software mode and a uC.

It would be an interesting thing to try.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:05 PM   #1133
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White
Sorry, I misspoke, I was only meaning in the context of I2S.

If you are using SPDIF input, you actually can do SPDIF output at the same time (and I am pretty sure even still use the PCM output), and the SPDIF output will be de-jittered (ok that just sounds wierd).

But you can't take I2S in and put I2S out at the same time.
Don't think you misspoke, I probably just read too much between the lines That's great news that I'll be able to do a de-jittered SPDIF loop out! It'll certainly be fun doing some comparison once it's put together

Thanks!
Old 30th January 2008, 11:11 PM   #1134
diyAudio Member

Building test versions right now, so pre-orders will hopefully open up tomorrow.
Old 31st January 2008, 12:16 AM   #1135
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianDonegan
Building test versions right now, so pre-orders will hopefully open up tomorrow.
Great to hear! Already ready and waiting
Old 31st January 2008, 01:26 AM   #1136
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fierce_freak Send a message via AIM to fierce_freak Send a message via MSN to fierce_freak Send a message via Yahoo to fierce_freak
Quote:
Originally posted by neb001
fierce,

What settings are you using on the metronome? Also what's your current opus setup like?
Hi nebby, I'm using upsampling to 192khz and outputting 24bit I2s to the DACs. Currently my opus setup is Receiver -> Metronome -> Dual DACs -> Ballsie, all using the twisted pear audio power supplies. I also had my Ballsie at +-12V, so I cranked it up to +-15V and noticed an improvement (didn't really think I would).

As far as the tweaks I mentioned earlier, I've come up with a layout that will leave all cabling between boards as absolutely short as possible, so I'm going to implement that when I get the time (so many projects). I've also considered using more advanced supplies to power the boards, but I'm not sure if I'll realize any benefit from it.

I'm also considering using more seperate supplies...Brian, Russ, anyone, any thoughts on which components to seperate supply-wise and whether or not it would help much? Obviously this is getting to the last 5%, performance wise, but that's what this hobby is about, for me.

I'm also debating on whether to continue with the Ballsie and change out the DAC coupling caps for blackgates or whether the TXD would perform at a similar or better level as the Ballsie, with the benefit of removing the coupling caps alltogether. I'll probably stick with the Ballsie, but I'd appreciate any input on this, too, Brian and Russ.

One last question...what is the maximum gauge wire that will fit through the boards (where the screw-down terminals currently are)?
Old 31st January 2008, 02:28 AM   #1137
diyAudio Member

The TXD can certainly replace the Ballsie if you want. Are you only using single ended gear? If so you don't need to use the coupling caps with the ballsie.

The TXD works very well for balanced signals, I actually have been using the TXD as a balanced headamp (into HD650s) lately (it can do 85ma output). It of course also requires no coupling caps. Personally I would try to eliminate the caps instead of trying exotic varieties.

I am not sure what the max is, but the terminals should easily take 18g wire, maybe even bigger. For inside the case stuff 18g should be way more than enough overkill for even the die hard. I usually use 22g or 24g for inside the case work.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 31st January 2008, 03:03 AM   #1138
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fierce_freak

As far as the tweaks I mentioned earlier, I've come up with a layout that will leave all cabling between boards as absolutely short as possible...
I bet your cables can't get any shorter than this: http://picasaweb.google.com/bugandan...11865761206482 :-)

I'm contemplating the same thing about using TXD to eliminate the capacitors and buffer the output. The choices of capacitors and the different tests and opinions that people have done with other devices is mind-numbing. Better not use them... But I'm hoping for TXD2 in stereo in the same form-factor as the rest of OPUS
Old 31st January 2008, 03:06 AM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glt
But I'm hoping for TXD2 in stereo in the same form-factor as the rest of OPUS

Its on the slate, in fact for the next round of PCBs, but not sure on the name yet.
Old 31st January 2008, 03:07 AM   #1140
diyAudio Member

Oh and very nice wiring! Great job.

Hide this!Advertise here!