• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Trying supercaps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Here is my es9038q2m build. I/V is passive Super V/I Converter LL1684. CCHD 950-100Mhz is soldered on the other side of PCB.

es9038q2m_supercaps.jpg - Google Drive

As first I experiemented with with different power supplies: Last version of Tridents 1.1, LT3042, LifePo4 and Salas Reflector D for powering the whole board then AVCC, Clock and rest separatelly.

Recentely I got two Ultracaps 2.7V 3000F (farads) each. I connected two in series to be able to charge them up to 3.3V. Their total impedance is 0.58mOhm. Initially I powered whole board with it since es9038q2m is low consumption unit. Eventually I found out that the biggest gain I got is just on powering the AVCC. Seems that AVCC is most senstive to the power provided. Ther rest I power from Salas Reflector D.

There result are really exceptional! I do not write about sonic impression, but belive me the results are outstanding in comparision to other power supplies.

I just thought maybe it will be and inspiration to someone to try it on either es9028pro or es9038pro Buffalo III boards.

The recipe is pretty stright forward:
Connect two in series with bleeder 1k resistor in paraller to each on of them.
I charge them with simple CC/CV 3A up to 3.45V. It takes dozen of minutes to charge, maybe more depanding on discharge level. Then, once charged and disconnected I got doezn of houres for listening of pure audio nirvana :) until voltage drops to minimum acceptable. No AC noise, no chemical noise like from batteries, no current feedback ... just pure power.

Obviously both es9028pro and es9038pro consume more current on AVCC. However they could be powerd with higher voltage 3.6V (safe), but could more, up to 3.8V??? (I think). This means it will take longer to discharge until voltage drops to minmal acceptable level 3.15V? So once charge should be enough for couple of hours of listening session.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information - it reminded me supercaps were something in the back of my mind to try. For AVCC they seem ideal - so I ordered a couple 300F jobbies just to tip my toe before I commit real money on top-spec caps.

I'll feedback when I have had a chance to try them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.