• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

9038 SE stereo vs balanced stereo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to purchase a buffalo dac but I have some questions.
First off, I can't seem to find a straight answer to this, the stereo current capability of the 9038 is 60ma per channel right?
Secondly I have a question about the optimal way to configure the stereo output.
The two options being splitting the 8 channels into 4 parallel dacs per channel or splitting the 8 channels into 2 parallel differential outputs per channel.

Here is a quote I found from lampizator
Let's mark the Error like E
Let's mark musical signal like M

The mathematical equation for single ended DAC is

Output=M+E

In the balanced operation we have Mp = positive phase of music, Mn = negative mirror copy, Error is the same for both phases.

Output/Bal = difference between two signals = Mp+E - (Mn +E) = Mp-Mn but Mn = -Mp so Output /Bal = 2M
The error cancels out.

All this is true if the dac is a TRUE balanced type. Sometimes it is hard to say, because DAC chip may have pins with all four signals, but internally the PROCESS is single ended, just the output stage of chip may have opamp-based phase doubler. Rarely the chip is really internally fully balanced.
So if we want a really digitally fully balanced player, we will be safer to use the product with separate DACs - four mono or two stereo. They are fed by digital stream which easily can be mirrored by simple logical gate - flipper of absolute phase
So this makes me wonder, does the es9038 function as "true balanced" as he describes it or is it internally SE?
Is it better to simply sum 4 dacs together per channel or to go full differential and feed it into a differential amplifier for common mode distortion cancellation?
If the internal process is SE then would it be worth it to use separate dacs as he describes?

Nobody is hiding this info from you. It is actually mentioned several times in my thread :)

The ES9038 output current in stereo is ~ 50R (202R per channel) * AVCC * 0.924 +/-14% chip to chip variance.

It is very definitely actually fully differential - and truly symmetrical in terms of current sunk and sourced when used with the Mercury I/V stage.

Last edited:
Nobody is hiding this info from you. It is actually mentioned several times in my thread
Hmm, strange I missed that. Thanks :) But according to that the output current per channel in stereo is over 152ma?! Wow that's a lot.
It is very definitely actually fully differential
So by doing two differential channels instead of two SE channels the conversion errors in the dac should theoretically cancel at the load right? That would cut the output current in half per phase too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.