• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AVCC 2.1 vs AVCC SR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I still did not upgrade my DACs (Buffalo II) with the AVCC 2.1 that the AVCC SR is out. I was wondering if somebody can report on the sound difference between the two items. It's probably too early to say and I am wondering if there is any benefit in using the SR versus the 2.1 on the Buffalo II.

Regards,

Davide

Yes, you will be pleased with the AVCC. I ended up using the standard 3.3 V Trident SR's before the AVCC (3.6V) came out, even with the lower voltage I preferred the (two) Trident SRs for AVCC, both on B-II and B-IIIse.
I find the ESS chips are very sensitive to power supply on the AVCC pins, even some small capacitor changes were audible.

I'm not home right now to take a picture (nor update the website :)), but here is a picture of some from "AVCC build day" a few weeks ago...

attachment.php

As you can see, they are wider, and the connector pins are onboard (same spacing as previous versions). They are really two complete Trident SRs on a single board.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_130541.jpg
    IMG_20171118_130541.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
It's probably too early to say and I am wondering if there is any benefit in using the SR versus the 2.1 on the Buffalo II.

Looking for the very same info. And even Trident 3 vs SR. Please include your system "revealing level", so we can estimate the level of SQ gain in our more or less high-end gear.
BTW still using old Placid supply here... set @5.25V when warm (5.5 cold with choke), is the gain on the AVCC-SR @5V higher than losses with Tridents shunt V3 (3.3 & 1.2V) @5V instead of 5.25V?

Last edited:
Looking for the very same info. And even Trident 3 vs SR. Please include your system "revealing level", so we can estimate the level of SQ gain in our more or less high-end gear.
BTW still using old Placid supply here... set @5.25V when warm (5.5 cold with choke), is the gain on the AVCC-SR @5V higher than losses with Tridents shunt V3 (3.3 & 1.2V) @5V instead of 5.25V?

Yes the benefits of using SR are very much worth it - the SR has both lower noise and better PSRR. This is particularly important on AVCC - but it helps at all positions. It just sounds nice and clean - noise floor is bottomless. Shunt version of Trident was already very good in these respects - but SR is simply better. They also use less current - which helps your VD supply run more efficiently. In fact I highly recommend people try using the new LCDPS (with the new IC) when using high current demand modules like B3SE-Pro etc...

You won't be sorry you gave them a try.

Cheers!
Russ

Yes the benefits of using SR are very much worth it - the SR has both lower noise and better PSRR. This is particularly important on AVCC - but it helps at all positions. It just sounds nice and clean - noise floor is bottomless. Shunt version of Trident was already very good in these respects - but SR is simply better. They also use less current - which helps your VD supply run more efficiently. In fact I highly recommend people try using the new LCDPS (with the new IC) when using high current demand modules like B3SE-Pro etc...

Russ, no mistake with your low current supply for high current devices?
Btw, do you provide quality "inline pin header" (sorry don't know how to say) fort the 2x 4 pin on the Bxxx? And no start-up delay issue with any BII firmware?
Not sold anywhere in Europe? 20%VAT, import taxes...

Russ, no mistake with your low current supply for high current devices?

Well, "low current" is relative. 2A is higher than 1A, but still lower than 5A :)

Btw, do you provide quality "inline pin header" (sorry don't know how to say) fort the 2x 4 pin on the Bxxx?

Not currently, but I guess I could add those in if people are interested.

And no start-up delay issue with any BII firmware?

There is a slower startup. I have not tested this on a BII, but I *think* a slow AVCC will be okay. Deferring this one to Russ who might know.

Not sold anywhere in Europe? 20%VAT, import taxes...

Nope, I build and ship them from here (USA) only. Sorry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.