• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

@MartinC700:

... I reckon you may want to program this yourself but just in case you are not aware of it the member dimdim has programmed a setup for the ES9028 &9038:

TFT HiFiDuino Pro Project | Dimdim's Blog

The youtube video two-thirds down the page shows what this software can do.

Cheers,

Jesper

Thanks Jesper, I am planning to use Dimitris' setup later, it does require some modification for the BIIISEPRO as it is written for the BIII with a sidecar. Once I get a little more adept at C++ I will try to adapt it.

Regards

As long as you always have a master clock (of sufficient frequency) present (even if it is not in sync with your spdif source) your SPDIF will play just fine. Don't even sweat it. The important thing is just that there is a very clean *close* noise free master clock. :)

Also I would try running with the 100Mhz clock - even if your reclock externally - try it. Really... I mean it - objectively give it a spin. ES9028/38 are a new animal.

I have been switching between sync and async many times - and compared to the ES9018 - where I do think sync was a bit better - well I can't detect a difference at all on the 9038 - and I am very picky. I am quite certain there is no measurable difference.

Concentrate on simple clean wiring - let the DAC do the rest. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ, it will really simplify my implementation. The issue, I think, is that the McDualXO will not output anything given that the SPDIF signal will be bypassing the McFIFO (only DSD from RPi will be passing through the McFIFO). I'll clarify with Ian if the McDualXO can be used as the masterclock for the 9028 when the McFIFO isn't receiving a signal.

Paul

Thanks Russ, it will really simplify my implementation. The issue, I think, is that the McDualXO will not output anything given that the SPDIF signal will be bypassing the McFIFO (only DSD from RPi will be passing through the McFIFO). I'll clarify with Ian if the McDualXO can be used as the masterclock for the 9028 when the McFIFO isn't receiving a signal.

Paul

In any case what we know will work - is running async. Try it - you'll like it - and you will save yourself a lot of headache :) It's going to be next to impossible to provide a lower noise clock than the one right next to the chip - well because of physics and proximity. :)

I am planning to upgrade my BII dac. I have connected this dac directly to a Hypex Ncore through a IVY III with 4vrms. I use the Placid HD v1.0 and Placid HD BP v1.0 to drive the dac. I use exau2i as i2s source.

I want to replace the dac with buffalo IIIse Pro with the new Mercury I/V but do not know if i should choose the ES9028 or the ES9038. Any suggestions?

Should I upgrade the power supplies? I understand that for the ES9038 an LCDPS is recommended. (HO kit or normal?)

Last edited:
My BIIISE-Pro (9038) has been working for a little over a week now and is settling in nicely. Really a big jump over the 9018 version. Bass and overall resolution are terrific and the filters actually do something (not my experience with the older ESS dacs but they may be my aging ears).

I am using DIYINHK regs at present because I had them in hand and they work well though are overall much bulkier and so wiring in tidily is a challenge. My only issue has been running out of current on the 1.2v pins when running DSD which causes a sporadic wave of noise when running DSD128 or higher. I have moved to a different (LT1764) reg which definitely helps. I will go for a set of Trident SRs in due course simply to simplify and make more compact.

I find the Mercury i/v stage a big improvement over previous Legato (never had the IVY).

Great job guys, so thanks for all the late nights that undoubtedly went into designing and delivering this project. Now - did someone mention dual mono firmware? :)

My BIIISE-Pro (9038) has been working for a little over a week now and is settling in nicely. Really a big jump over the 9018 version. Bass and overall resolution are terrific and the filters actually do something (not my experience with the older ESS dacs but they may be my aging ears).

I am using DIYINHK regs at present because I had them in hand and they work well though are overall much bulkier and so wiring in tidily is a challenge. My only issue has been running out of current on the 1.2v pins when running DSD which causes a sporadic wave of noise when running DSD128 or higher. I have moved to a different (LT1764) reg which definitely helps. I will go for a set of Trident SRs in due course simply to simplify and make more compact.

I find the Mercury i/v stage a big improvement over previous Legato (never had the IVY).

Great job guys, so thanks for all the late nights that undoubtedly went into designing and delivering this project. Now - did someone mention dual mono firmware? :)

Improvement with the ES9038 alone as drop-in replacement for ES9018 or the whole ES9018/Legato vs ES9038/Mercury?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Complete replacement -no half measures. I don't think you'll really get the best out of the new dacs without going all in.

Good strategy - that I’m not following because I love the Legatos. :p. Mine are tweaked by ear to gain clear improvements versus the stock components. So I look forward to more good years of enjoyment before moving on... @barrows had tweaked Legatos and went to Mercury, IIRC. His direct impressions would be interesting!

Frank

Good strategy - that I’m not following because I love the Legatos. :p. Mine are tweaked by ear to gain clear improvements versus the stock components. So I look forward to more good years of enjoyment before moving on... @barrows had tweaked Legatos and went to Mercury, IIRC. His direct impressions would be interesting!

Frank

So you'll go for the ES9028? Please report when it's done :)