• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

No - it does not bypass it. :) It's just that the ASRC (via the DPLL) and the the input stream are now exactly in sync - meaning it is not really ASRC any more it is (no A for async any more) SRC :) Yes - in this case the DPLL BW is not very important - so you might as well leave it wide open. In the ES9018 you actually had to do this is some cases - because of the lock speed issue in the old DPLL. As far as I have seen the new DPLL does not have this flaw.

Can you use a microcontroller to do the switching between SPDIF and Serial(PCM/DSD)? Just like the OttoII?

Alex

Yes - and that's exactly what the on-board controller/firmware does. :) There is no external switching done at all. The DIP switch just lets the firware know which source you want it to select - you can use an external switch instead (via EXT_IO - keep the input select DIP switch open if you do that) or you can have your own controller do the same thing (just remeber to remove the on-board controller if you use your own external controller/firmware)

Yes - and that's exactly what the on-board controller/firmware does. :) There is no external switching done at all. The DIP switch just lets the firware know which source you want it to select - you can use an external switch instead (via EXT_IO - keep the input select DIP switch open if you do that) or you can have your own controller do the same thing (just remeber to remove the on-board controller if you use your own external controller/firmware)

I think I am getting confused here, sorry. My understanding is that on the EXT_IO, if I gnd pin 5 (A0), I get SPDIF as my source or DSD if not grounded. Am I correct? I dont get it when you said "No External Switching done at all"? I thought you do this switching to select your source? SPDIF or DSD? Clarification please..

Alex

I mean that no signal goes through a switch :)

The only role of the switch is to tell the controller what to tell the DAC to select :)

Ok, I got it, so my question is, using the EXT_IO, instead of manually using a switch to ground A0, how do I do this using a controller? do I just connect A0 to the controller to switch high or low?

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got it, so my question is, using the EXT_IO, instead of manually using a switch to ground A0, how do I do this using a controller? do I just connect A0 to the controller to switch high or low?

Alex

Yep - just make sure you you drive it high you do so at 3.3V - not more. The safest approach is an open drain to type output that will only pull low (letting the weak pull-ups keep the net high when not pulled low by your controller)