• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Hi,
I'm planing to order the following
* Buffalo-IIIsePro28 or Buffalo-IIIsePro38
* Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo - 45.1584/49.152MHz Clocks
* Mercury

Have some questions about that

1. Pro28 vs Pro38
I want to try both your Mercury Output Stage, and also compare that to Sowter/lundahl transformers.
With ES9018 version I have always prefer transformer as output stage.
I don't know the technical side, if Pro38 would have more difficult with a transformer output stage than Pro28, anyone knows?
Sound vice, do you think a 2 channel Pro38 with Mercury sounds better than Pro28 with Mercury. Just trying to decide which to buy.

2. Power requirement Buffalo + Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo
As I understand the Amanero and Hermes are powered by the USB interface, and I need a 5V supply for the isolated Cronus side. And that I can get from some pins from the Buffalo board when they are connect together?
If possible I want to use a Uptoneaudio LPS-1 that have spec 5V, and 1.1 amps maximum continuous current available (short bursts between 1.1 and 1.2A are okay).
Is that enough to power both buffalo Pro Dac and the Cronus Combo?

3. Understanding Clocks
Today I use HQPlayer with a Linux Microrendu and upsample everything to DSD128. As I understand latest Amanero firmware support DSD256 (and DSD512) in Linux. I probably want to use DSD256.
I have no idea how the clocks work, but as I understand 45.1584MHz Clock is for playing files with 44kHz sample and 49.152MHz for 48Khz sample?
How is this related to DSD upsampling? Is it that all DSD formats have sample rate 2822.4 kHz (64 times from 44.1kHz) and that the 45.1584M clock will be used?. E.g could I remove the 49.152MHz Clock if I upsample everything to DSD? And if money allow in the future perhaps change the 45.1584 clock and solder in a HCMOS 45.1584 Pulsar Clock to perhaps get even better result playing?

regards
Micke

Hi Micke,

on 2. I would suggest that a different power supply than the LPS-1 could be better, the LPS-1 performance depends on what is charging it, I am not a believer in super cap "magic"!

3. It appears that Linux native DSD firmware for Amanero is still not finished, current version is still "beta" with some bugs. I hope they get it done soon, but... If you send only DSD, you should be able to use only the 45.1584 clock. On the B-III the 45.1584 clock rate supports up to DSD 256 (not 512), I do not know if one needs 90.3168 clock for the ESS 9028/38, you do with the 9018 for DSD 512. Anyway, until amanero releases the finished firmware for linux (native), I would stick with DoP and thats is limited to DSD128 on amanero. I have a Pulsar 45.1584 on order for my 9038/Cronus, and plan to send only DSD oversampling to DSD128 with Audirvana via Sonore Signature Rendu SE. There may also be a sound quality benefit having the entire DAC with only a single clock onboard, one beating heart, that is...

What is your thoughts about running B-IIIsePRO 9038 2ch with 3x IVY-III in parallel?

I am running a tri-amp setup and need 3+3ch output. My current setup is a B-III 8ch with 3x IVY-III in parallel, and works like a charm.

Only replacing the DAC would be very convenient and easy upgrade.

Thanks for all replies.

What is your thoughts about running B-IIIsePRO 9038 2ch with 3x IVY-III in parallel?

I am running a tri-amp setup and need 3+3ch output. My current setup is a B-III 8ch with 3x IVY-III in parallel, and works like a charm.

Only replacing the DAC would be very convenient and easy upgrade.

Thanks for all replies.

Hmm - it is doable but not practical (I can get into why if you want) - but why not just feed the amps from one Mercury? Or one IVY-III if you use the 9028?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmm - it is doable but not practical (I can get into why if you want) - but why not just feed the amps from one Mercury? Or one IVY-III if you use the 9028?

I'm guessing his setup is like mine with 3 discrete and different i2S sources. Which puts me in mind of a question about DAC channel summation that I've had for some time. I'm using 3 BIIIse's for tri-amped stereo, which means 24 DAC channels total, or 75% of a 9038 [but only 4 DAC channels/output band (lo/mid/hi)]. Bandwidth into each B3se is limited by the upstream digital crossover. But does that frequency range restriction improve S/N by removing frequencies (that otherwise contribute to harmonic distortion) within each group of 4 DAC channels? If so, how would you guess that compares to running the full spectrum signal into 12 (or 16) 9038 DAC channels, averaging into a Mercury, and then crossing over? ...assume for the sake of argument that different kinds of crossover filters are not a factor.

Just curious about others' opinions! :)

Frank

Last edited:
if you have multiple I2S (more than two) channels your best solution would be either use more than one DAC or use an 8 channel DAC with summing as you see fit :)

If you have 2 channels and you have multiple analog filters after the DAC a single Mercury or Ivy-III should be just fine - so long as the input impedance of the analog filters is not too low - meaning something less than say 2K.

Hello everyone, I plan my first Buffalo DAC based on the Buffalo-IIIsePro38 fed by an Beagle Bone Black and the Mercury as an output stage. Can you please verify whether my shopping list from Twisted Pear is complete? I don't want to order twice due to the shipping to Germany.

* Hermes-BBB Isolator Module
* Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair
* Buffalo-IIIsePro38 2-Channel DAC w/Full Series Regulator Set (Already ordered)
* Mercury I/V Stage (when available)
* Low Current Dual Power Supply HO Kit (For Buffalo and Cronus, suggested by Brian)
* Placid HD 2.1 Bipolar Power Supply Kit (For Mercury, suggested by Brian)
* 9V+9V (30VA) Power Transformer (For LCDPS HO)
* 15V+15V (50VA) Power Transformer (For Placid HD)

My questions: Are the transformers for the LCDPS and Placid okay? Do I miss anything important I should order from Twisted Pear?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I plan my first Buffalo DAC based on the Buffalo-IIIsePro38 fed by an Beagle Bone Black and the Mercury as an output stage. Can you please verify whether my shopping list from Twisted Pear is complete? I don't want to order twice due to the shipping to Germany.

* Hermes-BBB Isolator Module
* Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair
* Buffalo-IIIsePro38 2-Channel DAC w/Full Series Regulator Set (Already ordered)
* Mercury I/V Stage (when available)
* Low Current Dual Power Supply HO Kit (For Buffalo and Cronus, suggested by Brian)
* Placid HD 2.1 Bipolar Power Supply Kit (For Mercury, suggested by Brian)
* 9V+9V (30VA) Power Transformer (For LCDPS HO)
* 15V+15V (50VA) Power Transformer (For Placid HD)

My questions: Are the transformers for the LCDPS and Placid okay? Do I miss anything important I should order from Twisted Pear?

Thanks!

That's exactly what I would suggest :)

Cheers!
Russ