Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 15th July 2018, 08:01 PM   #691
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Have you set up Volumio to only output 32bit audio?
Sorry, but how do you check this setting? Sorry for the ignorance.

Alex
Old 15th July 2018, 10:23 PM   #692
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Have you set up Volumio to only output 32bit audio?
I got it, thanks. I just found out that this is a bug in Volumio, after reading their forum. One thing I noticed is that when playing DSD file (DFF or DSF file), that it gets converted to PCM. I am not sure if Volumio is doing it or the Kali reclocker, but I am almost sure it gets converted. Am I correct?

Alex
Old 16th July 2018, 06:29 AM   #693
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
Considering that Kali does not support DSD output yet you are hearing music, you are correct.
Old 1st August 2018, 05:58 AM   #694
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

I am done assembling the Buffalo 9038 with Mercury but I think I may have an issue with the Buffalo board.
I cannot get a lock from the Amanero but the real issue is that DVCC is reading 0.5V on the Trident.
The input to Buffalo is 5.1V, and all other readings look good:
AVCC 3.6V, VDD 1.3V, VDD_XO 3.3V.
I swapped the 3.3V tridents and the readings are the same, so it seems that both tridents are working properly.
The input pins of DVCC read 5.1V.

I initially had soldering issues with the VDD pins and thought I may have damaged the board (one pad was partially lifted), but ultimately the reading there looks correct.
I also used an ESD bracelet when interacting with the board although not sure on their effectiveness.

Any idea's besides a damaged board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1868.jpg (906.4 KB, 307 views)
Old 1st August 2018, 12:39 PM   #695
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
I am done assembling the Buffalo 9038 with Mercury but I think I may have an issue with the Buffalo board.
I cannot get a lock from the Amanero but the real issue is that DVCC is reading 0.5V on the Trident.
The input to Buffalo is 5.1V, and all other readings look good:
AVCC 3.6V, VDD 1.3V, VDD_XO 3.3V.
I swapped the 3.3V tridents and the readings are the same, so it seems that both tridents are working properly.
The input pins of DVCC read 5.1V.

I initially had soldering issues with the VDD pins and thought I may have damaged the board (one pad was partially lifted), but ultimately the reading there looks correct.
I also used an ESD bracelet when interacting with the board although not sure on their effectiveness.

Any idea's besides a damaged board?
It sounds like there is damage to the vias for the Trident from the desoldering. It's a four-layer board, so that damage is likely internal.

Can you see if either of the non-GND pads for that Trident are shorted to GND?

Last edited by BrianDonegan; 1st August 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 1st August 2018, 06:16 PM   #696
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
It sounds like there is damage to the vias for the Trident from the desoldering. It's a four-layer board, so that damage is likely internal.

Can you see if either of the non-GND pads for that Trident are shorted to GND?
DVCC: (the problematic one)
IN-GND 300Kohm
OUT-GND 0.8ohm

VDD_XO:
IN-GND 250Kohm
OUT-GND 11Kohm

VDD: (desoldering of header was here)
IN-GND 450Kohm
OUT-GND 33ohm
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:03 AM   #697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
For anyone interested here is firmware that handles both "pure-sync" (128-fs) mode and shows you a display of the current volume.

Also note that this firmware allows for clock gearing if you like (normal or div2) - this is handy when you want to consume less power and you don't plan on running 384khz etc. Another thing for people to tweak as they desire.

The display I am using in the pic is a VFD display with a 4-bit compatible LCD interface.

GitHub - twistedpearaudio/Buffalo-III-SE-Pro-On-Board-Firmware at WithDisplay

Cheers!
Russ
Once I get my Buffalo working I want to add some more functionality to the basic display.
I took a look at the code in the repo and it looks straightforward.
I plan on using fixed output so was thinking of displaying the current bit/sample rate instead.
Is that readable from the Buffalo i2c?
Old 4th August 2018, 10:04 PM   #698
stefanhgm is offline stefanhgm
diyAudio Member

I finally started to build my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 and a couple of questions popped up (probably not the last ):

1. Related to the connection between Cronus and the Buffalo board. There are 2x12 connection pins, but I only got two 2x10 female connector. I will just cut one apart to build my own additional 2x2. Its correct to connect all 2x12 pins, right?

2. Are the two 3,3V regulators identical? So, the connectors DCVV and VDD_XO are interchangable?

3. Is there anything else except the male header to connect to the regulators? There are additional contacts and I saw soem pictures with LEDs.

4. Are the connectors LOCK and A_MUTE on the Buffalo board intended for the two LEDs? Can I use them to show that the Buffalo is powered on at the case? Or which one am I supposed to use for that purpose?

5. Is it a common choice to use the volume poti at the Buffalo? I think controlling the volume via software and at my amp will suffice or am I missing something?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo1.jpg (461.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Buffalo2.jpg (480.7 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by stefanhgm; 4th August 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 5th August 2018, 09:14 AM   #699
stefanhgm is offline stefanhgm
diyAudio Member

I already got a case matching my other equipment. I thought it will be plenty of space. I was obviously mistaken .

The line on the cardboard marks the front border of the case. The piece of newspaper is the missing Placid HD BP Power Supply. And there still needs to get an SSD in there for storing my music. I want to put it below the beagle board. What do you think about these two setups? Is it a problem to stack the transformers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180805_110501.jpg (889.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180805_110716.jpg (721.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 5th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #700
pixelpusher is offline pixelpusher  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not stack the transformers. the second pic is better. even better would be to put them at right angles. I would also suggest using a NAS to store your music.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038Hide this!Advertise here!