Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 9th July 2018, 01:43 PM   #681
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
-snip-
My observation is that I have had success with players that do DoP well. Especially MPD/Volumio etc (even A+ did fine with DoP 1.0 and DSD64)...
Hi Russ,

I'd like to report my experience focusing on A+ and HQ Player running on my Macbook with the USB output to Hermes-Amanero/Cronus (22/24 clocks on board) with Puresync firmware on 9028 pro. The I2S serial lines including MCLK were transferred to the DAC via Teleporter as stated in the other thread with the distal end of MCLK directly connected to the clock input on the DAC.

As for A+, I could play all of DSD64, DSD18 and DSD256 sources without a bit of noise with Puresync firmware, regardless of the DoP version (i.e. 1.0 or 1.1), quite consistent with what you described before, though different from the results of noise-contaminated DSD64 and DSD128 play using ALSA on HQP running on linux (Ubuntu 18.04).

Playing DSD256 is quite okay sufficing 128fs but playing DSD64 and DSD128 sometimes becomes quite noisy as if the volume was exceeding the maximum loudness or contrarily quite diminutive with an increase of background white noise. This issue usually disappear when restarting the software. I'm not sure this is due to the interaction of core audio with the firmware or with the software.

More interestingly, the HQP on Macbook for playing DSD always forced the sources to noise-free DSD256 format, regardless of explicit setting as DSD64 or DSD128.

I hear that some application outputs its final format as PCM even after DSD decoding. I'm wondering this could be relevant to the current issue.

Anyway I hope this report can be of help, though small, for your further consideration.
Old 9th July 2018, 02:07 PM   #682
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

TW: interesting, here DSD 256 will not play with a 22.5792 XO, I need 45.1584 for that.

running Amanero/Cronus, sync clock (but not sync mode firmware). Linux (Sonore Rendu), with Amanero 1099c, native DSD input to Amanero. If the sync mode firmware allows for 1x clock and success with 9028/9038 and DSD 256 that is very interesting, as of course the 1x clocks have lower phase noise...

oh yeah, Audirvana +, but streaming (Ethernet) to Sonore Rendu (linux based).

BTW, Russ: I really love sending DSD to the 9038, and oversample everything to DSD, so DSD performance (prefer 256 when I can get it) is very important to me.

And, 9038/Mercury is really impressive, thanks for that!

Last edited by barrows; 9th July 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 03:03 PM   #683
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

I am going to start a new thread around the PureSync beta firmware - since probably 98% of users are not interested... yet!

@barrows - without PureSync you would not be able to do DSD256 with 22mhz clock.

DSD support is important to me too - it's just that a huge percentage of my collection is PCM and I just have not felt the need to re-sample to DSD Still - it does not mean I don't want to give it a try. I do have some native DSD material - it's just not a large portion of my library.

Thanks again to all of you brave souls involved in the beta. The data/feedback is appreciated!

Cheers!
Russ
Old 9th July 2018, 03:30 PM   #684
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
TW: interesting, here DSD 256 will not play with a 22.5792 XO, I need 45.1584 for that.!
I know that 45/49 clocks are essential for every experiment. But, as I wrote before, getting the current beta firmware of syncmode appears mandatory for your purpose because I think that I could prove that 22/24 clocks are sufficient for it.

If it is difficult to get the beta firmware, the next step will be to get an AVR programmer for copying hex files. I think it is not that difficult because the basic command lines for copying had been already open in this thread. An AVR Dragon will be my recommendation.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:34 AM   #685
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

Russ,

Perhaps another useful bit of info. Was playing DSD128 fine (from A+ DoP1.0) and after a few minutes audio stopped for a couple of seconds, then came back on but with lots of background white noise on top of the music.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:44 PM   #686
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm - which trident? It should be the trident that powers the XO. VDD trident powers the VDD supply of the DAC.

Also make sure you have the switch to select sync mode set.
Sorry, lost again, where do I find this Sync Mode Set Switch? is this a physical switch?

Alex
Old 10th July 2018, 10:46 PM   #687
diyAudio Member

Quote:
-snip- The display I am using in the pic is a VFD display with a 4-bit compatible LCD interface.
Russ
Hi Russ,

I happened to have this kind of LCD interface (PCF8574 I/O expander) but I think it's 8-bit compatible. Here I have a few questions:

Can I use this 8-bit PE for this purpose?

Do I need to change the address of LCD_PE in I2C_CharDisplay.h and recompile to make a hex file?

Which header pins will be available for connection: via I2C header or GPIO header? If the latter, which pins can be connected to?

Thank you.
Old 12th July 2018, 03:05 AM   #688
pawlus is offline pawlus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry - I should have explained.

The ES9028/38 have a register for "clock gearing".

What it does is basically "gear down" the clock by dividing it by 1, 2, 4, or 8. This is intended as power saving feature (in fact ESS calls that out in the DS) - it allows you to run the DAC with less current for lower sample rates.

BTW in PureSync mode DSD64 plays exactly the same for me with the clock geared or not. Still - reducing the power required could have other positive effects for some.

I learned a lot chatting with ESS both about PureSync and clock gearing.

Cheers!
Russ
Thanks for the explanation of clock gearing and phase mode DSD. I'm not running any external control. Not sure what your plans are for enabling this feature but unless it's done through the onboard switches, it's not an option for me. As far as phase mode DSD is concerned, I can't say for sure but I suspect that this would be an unusual way for DSD to be handled?
Old 15th July 2018, 02:48 PM   #689
adeveza is offline adeveza  United States
diyAudio Member

Help!, I have been trying to get my RP3 B / Kali reclocker and Volumio via I2S into my BIIIse pro and I have been having problem running 44.1khz music. Any music with higher freq that I have works ok, but not 44.1khz, I get noise, why? Can anybody please help me? figure out what I am doing wrong? Maybe setup on Volumio? or maybe my RP3 B is defective? Help!!

Alex
Old 15th July 2018, 06:39 PM   #690
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Have you set up Volumio to only output 32bit audio?

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038Hide this!Advertise here!