Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th October 2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
Very interesting.

Order placed.

When will we hear more about the Mercury I/V & better yet, be able to order them?

TIA.

Greg in Mississippi
Thanks! I will post more about Mercury as soon as the production boards are tested. It (Like the IVY-III) is based on the OPA1632 and has three stages - the first stage being a very high current transimpedance amplifier stage. It also has two servos that play very important roles. I won't go into more detail than that just yet.

Literally as soon as I have the boards and parts in my hands and I can test that the production boards are good to go - we will make it available.
Old 14th October 2017, 09:37 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhgm View Post
Congratulations for your awesome work!

PS: Preorder already placed to ensure getting hold of one
Thank you! And very wise based on past experience.

Contact Brian about the order - I am sure he can work something out for you.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 14th October 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 14th October 2017, 09:42 PM   #13
thomaspf is offline thomaspf  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats, I am heading to preorder right now!
Old 14th October 2017, 09:50 PM   #14
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Sweet!

Hi Russ, already ordered a 9038 board, so glad it is here! It sounds like you are quite excited about the Mercury I/V, so am I really happy about that, as I/V stage is probably more important than the chip to SQ these days...
I hope the Mercury can be configured for both 2 and 4 volt output (balanced) as I sometimes use amps with 26 dB gain and huge outputs (like Ncore 500 and 1200 modules) which need >2 V in to achieve full output.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:02 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhgm View Post
Congratulations for your awesome work!

3) Is it somehow possible to get back an 8 Channel output from a BuffaloIIIse Pro? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm pretty new to the material)

4) I'd like to feed the BuffalloIIIse Pro with a BBB. Just to be sure, the BuffalloIIIse Pro is compatible with the Hermes-BBB and Cronus Re-clocking module? So, a "Buffalo-IIIsePro38" Kit (w/ regulator and power supply), a "Hermes-BBB Isolator Module" and a "Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair" is all I need for a complete build fed by a BBB?

Thanks!

PS: Preorder already placed to ensure getting hold of one
I forgot to answer these two questions.

3) No - not unless you used 4 of them

4) Absolutely - it works very well with Cronus/BBB or Cronus/Amanero etc. Really just about any DSD/I2S source.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Hi Russ, already ordered a 9038 board, so glad it is here! It sounds like you are quite excited about the Mercury I/V, so am I really happy about that, as I/V stage is probably more important than the chip to SQ these days...
I hope the Mercury can be configured for both 2 and 4 volt output (balanced) as I sometimes use amps with 26 dB gain and huge outputs (like Ncore 500 and 1200 modules) which need >2 V in to achieve full output.
Thanks Barrows!

Indeed - Mercury is my new pride and joy. I am really excited about it. You are right - without an I/V to match it - there is no reason to use the ES9038 other than using it like 4 ES9028/18

You absolutely can adjust the Mercury balanced and/or SE output easily to 4V - even more. The limit is really just the limit of the OPA1632 and the rails. As long as your input impedance is > 1K or so even 10V out should be doable.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 15th October 2017, 12:34 AM   #17
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Hi Russ, many congratulations for this great notification! I've just ordered both of ES9028 ans ES9038 boards.

It's been quite a while since many ES9038 DACs had been introduced in the market of audiophiles but I'd like to appreciate your great patience long kept for this final announcement with many preliminary tests to offer well designed, sophisticated DACs to the end users like me.

BTW, did you solve the problem of chip to chip output differences (up to 28% difference?) with ES9038, that would make dual mono setting difficult? Maybe the coming Buffalo IV with 8 channels may give an answer to it.

Best Regards,
Old 15th October 2017, 12:48 AM   #18
diyaudnut is offline diyaudnut  United States
diyAudio Member

Russ,

any comments on 8ch availability? I am interested in one for my active 4way.
Is mercury also the optimal solution for 8CH mode?
Old 15th October 2017, 01:06 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twluke View Post
Hi Russ, many congratulations for this great notification! I've just ordered both of ES9028 ans ES9038 boards.

BTW, did you solve the problem of chip to chip output differences (up to 28% difference?) with ES9038, that would make dual mono setting difficult? Maybe the coming Buffalo IV with 8 channels may give an answer to it.

Best Regards,
Thank you!

Yes! It can be solved via the auto gain calibration feature. This allows chip to chip matching of gain. Our firmware is open source - and I am updating it for mono mode - when I do I will enable gain calibration as well. The new DAC board has all of the components required (especially the reference resistor) to do the calibration.

Also of critical importance - the on-board firmware correctly dictates the power on reset condition these new chips require as well.

ESS did a great job with these chips - the chip to chip gain difference has always existed (even in the ES9018 etc...) but now people can actually do something about it.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 15th October 2017, 01:09 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyaudnut View Post
Russ,

any comments on 8ch availability? I am interested in one for my active 4way.
Is mercury also the optimal solution for 8CH mode?
We are aiming for the next few months. There is a close cousin to Mercury planned for 8 channel use. Mercury could be used - but there is a more efficient solution.

Cheers!
Russ

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038Hide this!Advertise here!