Optimal configuration for Buffalo-IIIse running at audio server - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 4th November 2015, 10:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Optimal configuration for Buffalo-IIIse running at audio server

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to diy HiFi and so far I only built a couple of speakers and an amplifier, but these project were always very well documented. Since I am mostly listening to music digitally I now decided to build a DAC and after a couple of weeks of reading I decided for the Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo-IIISE. Dual mono or not I am not sure yet, may depend on budget though ;-).

Before planning my project in more depth, I have a general question for my use case. My plan is to run an independent music server (linux + mpd), which has access to my music library and connect it to the Buffalo DAC. However, I came across different methods to realize this setting and here are my questions:

1) What the major difference (according to the final sound quality) between connecting the music server via usb to a usb to i2s interface (for example this SONORE USB Interface) and connecting it directly via i2s (for example with the raspberry pi: Building an open embedded audio applicance. - sorry I have not read all 140 pages (yet))

2) When connecting the server via usb is there a difference between the hardware I use, for example a raspberry pi vs a fully fledged pc. In my understanding there should not be a difference since the usb signal is digital, right?

3) When connecting the server directly via i2s is there a difference between the hardware I use for the server (Here someone seems to have problems with a raspberry pi: I2S via Raspberry Pi - HF/VHF noise - General Questions - Twisted Pear Audio Support)? Even when I add a external clock as suggested here: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015...-developments/.

Basically I want to know whats the best setting to run a Buffalo-IIISE together with a linux music server. If anyone has an opinion on dual mono or not, I am also interested in it.

Hide this!Advertise here!