• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Which Pass Amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When considering doing a multi-channel BIII build, the question of which Pass power amp would work best with it in multiple output pairs needs consideration.
I've acquired almost all the pieces, BIII , the other TP modules, all various power supply, etc for a multi- or dual-mono. BUT...I intend to follow Russ's advice and "keep it simple at first with a stereo version"... to learn the DAC well before jumping into 4 or 6-channel (w/2 or 3 BIIIs) or dual-mono (w/2 BIII's).
I 'HAVE TO' at least swim in the multi-channel waters..... but can foresee Dual-Mono as a actually better trade-off.
OK, what have I not considered before I begin THE BUILD ?

Maybe, .... What the hell do I intend to feed all this to ? The Output power stages need to be flexible/expandable with common building blocks with each 2X channel increase.

Once I thought... Pass F5, even F5Tc. No! What a pain-in-*** 6ch bias beast that would be.
F4 - Ahh, its a DAC build, not a gain stage. And no, I'm not interested in using chip amps or class D !

With its stability, high input impedance (240K)...... even a sensitive 'glass' pre- would enjoy it.
A regular Joe, yet Class A ?
The Pass Aleph J seems to be a great choice ( but I could be wrong). Would not have to think of building a 4 or 6 channel J-amp. Believe I could simply add separate 2-channel stereo units. Common grounding may be big issue and possibly necessitate 'balance mode'.
So, long story short:
What do you think of Aleph-J power, feed by a Buffalo III DAC 2-6 channel ????

Charles

Last edited:
Thanks Russ,
Just can't seem to focus on one component without considering the whole package. I like the J with its moderate output. With possible 6-ch, anything over 50W x 6 seems excessive.
If/When 6ch becomes my goal its apparent that 3 BIII's would be the best route. I'll take em one at time though
Charles

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you can use upscaled* power amp (Aleph J ) for bass and downscaled** for mid and tweet

*both PSU voltage and Iq , comparing to regular FW iteration

** just Iq , comparing to regular FW iteration

if you end up having any particular question about Aleph J , ask in PL subforum

Joined 2007
Paid Member
in making the choice between 2 mono DAC channels or multi-channel, I think the crossovers deserve attention. I'm doing multi-channel because I never was 100% happy with my DIY passive crossovers. The best passive solution I found was at line level, but upgrading to a balanced signal chain pushed me to active crossovers, which are preferred.

Re the Aleph J, when I first heard the quality of the discrete Legato I/V, I was so impressed that I decided to build an Aleph J for mids & highs. The Aleph sounded great, but did not mix easily with my other amps so unfortunately it is idle.

ZM's suggestion for a modular approach makes sense, but how to nicely match the channels? Would it be possible to develop one fully differential front end that would drive a variety of different 10X power stages (maybe including Pass-inspired boards available from the DIY Audio store)? That way one could use discrete & class A components where they really shine, and other power circuits where class A is just too hot or unwieldy. ...a differential front end like a discrete version of the old TXD circuit? Perhaps making that work for kit-preferring end users is a lot to ask! :)

Cheers!

is amp the real Q?

I have B-II / Ivy-III balanced direct to PL XA100 monos for mids/tweets (passive xo), & unbalanced outputs from B-II through active xo to (non-PL) high-current amp for bass.
I tried active xo for mids/tweets as well, but prefer the sound of the passive xo.
Point is, the Q is not just which amps, but what xo & speaker-driving topology to use, & how to integrate sound through xo region if bi or tri-amping.

Have to agree somewhat with trying options for modular, bi/tri-amping XOs mentioned in 3 previous posts ...Thanks. Again, the options seems almost exponential.
My actual 'building' has been delayed by recent speakers I've accquired by dumb luck.
Picked up a nice pair of Boston Acoustics T1030 towers with biamping option. A week later inherited a almost new (unused/stored for 20+ years) pair of Boston Acoustics T1000......unbelievable ! Not SOArt, but perfect for modular XO setup.....
So fate is making decisions for me.....works for me, seeing how I can't make up my own mind.
I can see an amp atop each one of these towers maybe with PSUs in a bottom pedestal....
Each tower self contained feed by common source/DAC/Pre
Charles

Attachments

• tmp_26543-IMAG05052033598325.jpg
    tmp_26543-IMAG05052033598325.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 229
  • tmp_26543-IMAG04781993132231.jpg
    tmp_26543-IMAG04781993132231.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 228
I'm driving F5 with Buffalo IIIse+Legato 3.1 directly and even with it's stock 1.5V i'm usually half turn of the volume with my 95db speakers. With less efficient stuff at friends systems i often have to go to 100% so mybe one day i'll mod legato outputs to 2V...

Sympatico is a great amp too. Using it in the summer, and class A for the winter :)

Yea, multichannel Class A is another concern: Although seasonal and locality dependant... But here in southern central Texas .... Probably should be more of concern to me than it is. 4 Aleph J's and McIntosh MC40 might be winter heat only.
But with more audio equipment than anyone should really have.....I've have decided to kept the multichannel a separate system from my conventional (WETHTI) stereo system.......mainly for simplicity sakes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.