• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

WM8804 transceiver module question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere. If you use the WM8804 in HW mode ONLY as a transmitter from i2s inputs, do you need the 12mHz crystal or power to the PLL power supply pin? I'd like to eliminate extraneous parts from the board.
Can't find the answers I need anywhere in the WM8804/5 datasheets, related maker's docs, or in searching these forums or web search. Put the question to Cirrus, but god knows when & if I'll get a knowledgable answer.

Well, I ask because, in SW mode, you can actually power down the PLL & OSC sections, since these are used only for the recvr side of things, but you can't in HW mode. Just don't know if, in HW mode, the chip will power up properly if it doesn't see a running internal osc. Or even if, in SW mode, you can power down the PLL & osc without first having a running xtal osc.
Seems like, logically, it probably needs the local osc running to start with, otherwise the chip would have no clock to intialise from when i2s mck line is interrupted or not yet connected.
Lot of gaps in the datasheets, which seems to me a common theme in digital domain chip datasheets. Analog people seem to be much, much better at writing datasheets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.