• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Usbstreamer problem with BIII/BII in I2S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an unstable lock using usbstreamer ( last drivers - last firmware ) with I2S connection ...

I tried the connection directly or with between a wm8804 interface but with the same result.

The Buffalo III works well using the same I2S cabling but with other source, while other DACs works perfectly with the USBstreamer.

I tried two different usbtreamer with the same results.

I tried to convert the I2S's usbstreamer output to spdif and then convert again the spdif to I2S but the lock is always instable.

If I do use the spdif input of the buffalo all work well, but I need I2S because I do use the BIII configured in multichannel.

Why the problem remain converting I2S to spdif and again spdif to I2S?
Could be a timing problem of the original signal from the usbstreamer?

For example If I do use a spdif output of a dvd player, with the same cabling/WM8804 interface converting it in I2S, the BIII accept it perfectly; the same occours if do use a Buffalo II.

Reassuming I can say that:

1) the two usbstreamer are working well

2) the WM8804 interfaces are working well

3) the Buffalo III and the Buffalo II are ok

4) the I2S cabling are short and well shielded

5) the power supply perfect and decoupled from the usb ( tried also this )

But that the Buffalo III/II doesnt want lock well with the USBStreamer in I2S.

I am becoming really crazy with this, some idea ...?

Marco

Converting MiniDSP USBStreamer for MCK input

I am currently running this I2S source via 3 of ACKOS SO3 isolator/re clocker boards to provide 8 channles of audio to four buffalo III dacs.

The SO3s are stacked such that that they can share a pair of clocks mounted on one of the boards only.
There is also another boards providing fanout of MCK etc.

There are two things we need to do to convert the MiniDSP USBStreamer to accept and external MCK and provide a clock select signal.

Both require some delicate surgery on the USBStreamer. So at your own risk -

1)Convert J1 Pin9 Master Clock out (MCLK OUT) to MCK IN.
Pin 3 of the CS2300 chip supplies MCK to the XMOS chip via a 100R resistor.
Simply remove the 100R resistor.

2)Provide a clock select input.
This signal can be generated from the ENABLE pins on either the 22.5792 MHz or 24.576 MHz clocks.
The J2 Expansion connector has unused pins. Pins 2,4 and 5 are unused according to the data sheet.
Unfortunately I cannot remember the pin I used so please check that the pin is actually isolated before use.
Run a wire from the ENABLE pin of one of the clocks to an unused pin on J2.

You also have a choice of letting the USBStreamer power your isolators or using an external supply for both the isolators and the USBStreamer.

If you are willing to do some surgery on the USB Streamer you could easily get that type of solution to work with a single Cronus and a Single Hermes - BBB (repurposed for the Streamer) You would just wire the USBStremer to the appropriate pins on the BBB header. This would get you 8 isolated/reclocked channels all sharing the same cronus master clock. If you need more help let me know.

As I don't want to strip down my existing system I am waiting for a new USBStreamer to try it out.
The USBStreamer is supplied with a pin header to flying cables assembly.
A metric PITA one - not the 0.1 stuff we are used to.
But it's only a two minute job to solder these leads to the BBB-Hermes.
May bee I should say the lack of leads as there is only one ground connection !
But with the correct mechanical arrangement these can be kept very short.

I am currently running this I2S source via 3 of ACKOS SO3 isolator/re clocker boards to provide 8 channles of audio to four buffalo III dacs.

The SO3s are stacked such that that they can share a pair of clocks mounted on one of the boards only.
There is also another boards providing fanout of MCK etc.

There are two things we need to do to convert the MiniDSP USBStreamer to accept and external MCK and provide a clock select signal.

Both require some delicate surgery on the USBStreamer. So at your own risk -

1)Convert J1 Pin9 Master Clock out (MCLK OUT) to MCK IN.
Pin 3 of the CS2300 chip supplies MCK to the XMOS chip via a 100R resistor.
Simply remove the 100R resistor.

2)Provide a clock select input.
This signal can be generated from the ENABLE pins on either the 22.5792 MHz or 24.576 MHz clocks.
The J2 Expansion connector has unused pins. Pins 2,4 and 5 are unused according to the data sheet.
Unfortunately I cannot remember the pin I used so please check that the pin is actually isolated before use.
Run a wire from the ENABLE pin of one of the clocks to an unused pin on J2.

You also have a choice of letting the USBStreamer power your isolators or using an external supply for both the isolators and the USBStreamer.

Thanks for your answer, you really did a nice work ...

However, having an alternative to USBstreamer, I am not sure that to do all those mods is convenient.

Before try to mod the USBstreamer I will test the USBPAL.

I will keep you informed about this interface.

Marco

Ps. In the while I have found another problem of the USBstreamer: I am able to use only its toslink input, but I am not able to use the eight I2S input ...

The last time I looked at USBPAL you had to sign up to a multi thousand
euro licence to get drivers that do not beep intermittently.
Is this still the case ?

They sell also an evaluation kit at about 260 Euro.

More information please.

I do use a WM8804 interface connected in slave mode ( the usbstreamer is a master device ) to one of the I2S inputs and it seems don't receive nothing.

However the I2S signal is good because I am able to convert it in toslink , send it to the toslink input of the usbstreamer and this way it works ...

Regards
Marco

Last edited:
They sell also an evaluation kit at about 260 Euro.
I was told that the evaluation board is supplied with evaluation drivers that "beep" every 30 minutes.
When you get the board please tell me if the drivers "beep".

I do use a WM8804 interface connected in slave mode ( the usbstreamer is a master device ) to one of the I2S inputs and it seems don't receive nothing.

I am not familiar with the WM8804.
Just had a quick look at the data sheet.
Assuming you are running in HW mode -
SCK=0=Slave mode.
USBStreamer MCK->WM8804 MCK

I was told that the evaluation board is supplied with evaluation drivers that "beep" every 30 minutes.
When you get the board please tell me if the drivers "beep".

I will do know ...

If the product will result really performing and of good quality, it's not excluded that I can write an agreement with them, we do see what they will propose me.

I am not familiar with the WM8804.
Just had a quick look at the data sheet.
Assuming you are running in HW mode -
SCK=0=Slave mode.
USBStreamer MCK->WM8804 MCK

It is exactly what I did, but no signal at all.

Regards
Marco

OK.
I may have been a little vague - I should have said play music through the USBStreamer USB interface. This ensures the clock source and sample rate are set.

Have we missed something simple ?

What does TUSBAudio Spy have to say about the inputs ?
Reboot PC ?
Volume turned down on mixer ?
SCK and LKCLK swapped ?
No ground connection ?

OK.
I may have been a little vague - I should have said play music through the USBStreamer USB interface. This ensures the clock source and sample rate are set.

Have we missed something simple ?

What does TUSBAudio Spy have to say about the inputs ?
Reboot PC ?
Volume turned down on mixer ?
SCK and LKCLK swapped ?
No ground connection ?

Thanks a lot for your help ...

But I have not missed nothing and consider that the I2S usbstreamer's signals are in common with the in and the out; all was correctly cabled and the play always worked.

This way I did try to play and then record using the same sample rate, but without success, only the play does work.

For now I will use the usbstreamer's Toslink input ( signal derivated from a spdif coax ) that work perfectly and give me perfect galvanic isolation.

Marco

Well, after the not positive experience with the Minidsp USBStreamer, that definitly doesn't wok well with the BUFFALO II and III, I have signed an agreement with Rigisystems for the USBPAL audio interface that is really a good product that drives 18 I/O channels ( and linking together two unit 36 channels ).

Obviously it does work perfectly with the BUFFALO and others DAC.

For who is interested I can sell it at 350 Euro ( excluded shipping cost ).

Marco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.