• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

Update

After loading the device driver, I had no problem flashing the configuration bits. So i have successfully got amanero running:

slave for 1080
1099c
and config bits as shown in Russ' post on page 1

Now my linux player software shows it is working with native DSD 256, but still no lock on the DAC (also tried direct USB from Mac with various sample rates, no lock on anything).

Not sure what the problem could be other than broken Amanero (or DAC?)

This entire build was working perfectly before trying to change the Amanero firmware, so not much to check...

I will check the DAC with an alternate interface, then purchase new Amanero/Hermes??

After loading the device driver, I had no problem flashing the configuration bits. So i have successfully got amanero running:

slave for 1080
1099c

Now my linux player software shows it is working with native DSD 256, but still no lock on the DAC (also tried direct USB from Mac with various sample rates, no lock on anything).

This entire build was working perfectly before trying to change the Amanero firmware, so not much to check...

I will check the DAC with an alternate interface, then purchase new Amanero/Hermes??

Did you try to connect your Amanero directly to the DAC without Hermes/Cronus (i.e. with standard flash using CPLD_1080)?

Hi im interested in buying this but im dont understand the options for clocks.

I am building a Soekris Rev 4.0 DAC and im planing to use your Amanero USb I2S + Crono + Hermes. but i dont understand the options that you have on your website for variuous clocks.

If it matters i plan on using the built in volume control in Soekris.

Attachments

• amanero twisted.PNG
    amanero twisted.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 338
i want the usb interface and i want the isolator, i saw the reclocker and i thought that would be nice to have as well but i dont understand its options and i also dont know how to power it. i have one Ultra BiB for the DAC board and one Reflektor D at 3.3 Volts for the USB interface.

I will not pretend to know what clocks you need for the Soekris DAC, but generally, the clock choice depends on the audio frequencies you are planning on playing. Someone with more experience with that DAC can probably be more useful.

As for power, the Amanero is powered by the USB bus, not an external supply, and also provides power for the non-isolated side of the Hermes. You need a supply for the Cronus (5V ideally, as it has an onboard 3.3V regulator), which also powers the isolated side of the Hemes.

i dont get it. the Soekris dac, jusat like any other modern dac, supports and plays all the samplerates from 42khz all the way to 192khz and DSD and for that the reclockjer also needs to support all ofthe common clock speeds not just one or two. im not sure what ya'll mean.

Last edited:
Well the Dam1021 reclocks all incoming signals before the dac. There is no way to synchronize the master clock from the Hermes with the Dam1021. So the benefits of a reclocker before the DAC is debatable. Mostly it comes down to how good the clock signal is that you feeding to the DAC. Some have noted changes from the RaspPi which does not have a good clock.

Yeah actually the reason i started looking at it in the frist place was to find a USB to I2S solution that is isolated, the reclocking part was somethign that i saw there and i thought yo myself what the hell lets throw that in too, what i really would like to have is the isolation.

It sounds like you just want the Amanero and Hermes. Power for the isolated side of the Hermes is 3.3V and a few mA. I am guessing you could tap that from the DAC somehow.

on your website, on the page for amanero usb interface, and anywhere else really, you dont sell the hermes separate or in a combo with amanero, you sell the amanero by itself, or as a combo with the reclocker. i already attached a picture of the page.

update, attn: Russ

slave for 1080
1099c

Hi Russ, as a quick test I connected my DAC to the Cronus in Async mode (removed clock feed u.fl cable from Cronus to B-PRO, and added trident SR clock regulator) AND, voila! Now amanero with 1099c firmware works, playing up to DSD 256 native from linux (Sonore Rendu Ethernet streamer).

Interestingly, before I started out on this Amanero firmware upgrade path everything worked fine in sync mode. So strange to me... Any ideas on what could be the problem in sync mode? Clocks on Cronus are 45.x and 49.x, and as mentioned, sync mode worked perfectly before? Could Cronus be damaged as far as just masterclock output is concerned? I really prefer sync clocking, so want to get this completely sorted...

software?

As an off chance what are your sw1-2 and sw1-3 switch settings? My sync problems were totally solved by moving both from the off setting to on.

Are you referring to using the sync mode software version for the DAC? I am not using that. Anyway, as per the GitHub info, SW-1-2,3 are both "on" for I2S input.

Enjoying listening now async... but I am beginning to expect it could be something as simple and stupid (not to check) as a bad u.fl cable. So I'll try that next time I pull it out of the system.

Hello,
I am interested in leveraging the solution to pull I2S signal from DSC 2.5.2 and run HQPlayer NAA on Beagle Bone Black but I am not 100% sure what is needed.

Please correct if my list is not accurate:
Hermes-BBB Isolator Module, Cronus Re-clocking Module, 45.1584MHz Rhea Module and 49.152MHz Rhea Module. Do I also need the 22/24 clocks? When would I need the 22/24 clocks v/s 45/49 clocks?
What would I need from power perspective?

TIA

Amanero/Cronus issue, sync clocking, DSD 256

OK, everything works with async DAC operation. As soon as I try to go with sync clocking, I get no lock. Checked the cables, no problem there. The DAC acts like it is getting no masterclock, but all the connections check out, and the Amanero runs fine (as checked via linux during playback).

Really weird here...

Does anyone have Amanero/Cronus playing with Sync clocking (masterclock to DAC from Cronus) and firmware version 1099c?

Using the default B3SE-Pro firmware I am not sure you can really call it sync, just bringing in mck from Cronus. The DPLL is still running, and the incoming data is clocked by that rather than directly by the mck.

DOesn't explain why this worked before and doesn't now, but what you had working wasn't really sync (maybe plesiochronous?). I am having problems too - async from RPi/Kali, async from DIYINHK USB/I2S worked great, then I flipped to the sync firmware and had some small, intermittent success, decided to go back to std firmware and wait for a Amanero to arrive and try again. Now I can't get I2S working at all but the dac plays SPDIF fine.

More experimentation ahead.