• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

@luchoh, the TPA Amanero Hermes only isolates the data and clock lines as Russ has said. How are you connecting the mute/DSD-on (Amanero pins 7 and 11) to DSC2 - via an isolator? And remember, Hermes/Cronus uses pin 11 for clock select so you need to reconfigure to compensate for that. That's why I'm designing my own Hermes-derivative PCB.

As for the 'Amanero works and other sources don't' observation - I think that is simply down to the good work put in by Dom at Amanero to optimise the DSD playback aspects of the Amanero firmware - something others don't seem to have done.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
@luchoh, the TPA Amanero Hermes only isolates the data and clock lines as Russ has said. How are you connecting the mute/DSD-on (Amanero pins 7 and 11) to DSC2 - via an isolator? And remember, Hermes/Cronus uses pin 11 for clock select so you need to reconfigure to compensate for that. That's why I'm designing my own Hermes-derivative PCB.

@nautibuoy, I am planning on using the DIYINHK isolator solely for the remaining 2 pins 7/11, though something tells me it’s a lost cause. I think there is something else going on here, which I’m completely unqualified figuring out.
I don’t think pins 7/11 are significant: when I was connecting Amanero directly, I disconnected them and connected pin 7 to pin 10 and skipped pin 11 altogether (or connected it to GND.)
No noise - just pops as expected, as well as the DAC taking time to latch on the signal, but the music was as beautiful as always.
I think Russ is onto something here with these mysterious flags of his...

Last edited:
Look at the DSC2 schematic, there are no other connections for 'mysterious flags' just 3 (DSD1), 4 (DSD Clk), 5 (DSD2), 7 (DSD-on) & 11 (Mute), plus 9&10 for 3.3V in (and Ground connections of course). My starting point is simply to provide the DSC2 board with the signals it expects to see, but all isolated and the data reclocked via a Cronus board.

I'm not saying that my experiment will work, just that the Amanero version of Hermes doesn't facilitate the correct isolated connections. I have some DIYINHK Amanero isolator boards that I may look to use as a temporary arrangement.

DAM1021 by the way works perfectly with the same Hermes/Cronus combinations.

Are you using Amanero in this configuration? If so, can you share the firmwares and configuration bits you use?

In a separate thread in this forum I am trying to figure out an issue where I use a Cronus/Hermes/Amanero combo with the DAM1021. When I play music using a MacBook Pro, the Audirvana and iTune work flawlessly but I am having dropout and popping noise issues when playing videos on YouTube and Amazon. At Russ's suggestion, I did find a few firmware combinations that work but it's a purely try-and-error shot in the dark practice and would really appreciate any experience, thoughts and advises that others can share.

Thanks!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Are you using Amanero in this configuration? If so, can you share the firmwares and configuration bits you use?

In a separate thread in this forum I am trying to figure out an issue where I use a Cronus/Hermes/Amanero combo with the DAM1021. When I play music using a MacBook Pro, the Audirvana and iTune work flawlessly but I am having dropout and popping noise issues when playing videos on YouTube and Amazon. At Russ's suggestion, I did find a few firmware combinations that work but it's a purely try-and-error shot in the dark practice and would really appreciate any experience, thoughts and advises that others can share.

Thanks!

I only tried DAM1021 once with the Amanero and a configuration I don’t recall now, because since then I tried a lot of combinations to make it work with DSC1.
Also I only use Roon or Roon/HQPlayer, so I don’t think I can help here, sorry.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Look at the DSC2 schematic, there are no other connections for 'mysterious flags' just 3 (DSD1), 4 (DSD Clk), 5 (DSD2), 7 (DSD-on) & 11 (Mute), plus 9&10 for 3.3V in (and Ground connections of course). My starting point is simply to provide the DSC2 board with the signals it expects to see, but all isolated and the data reclocked via a Cronus board.

I'm not saying that my experiment will work, just that the Amanero version of Hermes doesn't facilitate the correct isolated connections. I have some DIYINHK Amanero isolator boards that I may look to use as a temporary arrangement.

@nautibuoy I’m not arguing with your logic. However, there could be something in the data lines that makes the difference. I know it doesn’t make sense, but here we are.
Also, for the sake of the experiment, I connected Amanero 7/11 pins directly, which is probably stupid and can damage something. I did not connect the “dirty” and “clean“ grounds though.
There was no difference to the previous case where pin7 was tied to pin10 and pin11 - to ground.

We designed Hermes Amanero around our own DACs and most others that only need the PCM/DSD signals - not flags - not that particular DAC (DSC2) you are using :)

I might do a REV2 that allows more flexibility for people who need it :)

Cheers!
Russ

@nautibuoy I’m not arguing with your logic. However, there could be something in the data lines that makes the difference. I know it doesn’t make sense, but here we are.
Also, for the sake of the experiment, I connected Amanero 7/11 pins directly, which is probably stupid and can damage something. I did not connect the “dirty” and “clean“ grounds though.
There was no difference to the previous case where pin7 was tied to pin10 and pin11 - to ground.

You have to connect GNDs - or that would never work.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I figured as much but was afraid doing it @Russ White.
Thank you: I’ll report my findings here.

You have to connect GNDs - or that would never work.

As promised, I'm reporting on bridging both GND and DSDON pins of Amanero all the way to the DAC - no change. Background noise is as loud as music. In fact, bridging made it somewhat harder for the DAC to latch.

I suppose I need to migrate this thread to Signalyst DSC1 thread, so the designers can figure out exactly what DSC1 does differently to any other DAC I've tried with Hermes/Cronus combo.

How? We don't offer bare PCB or kit so there is no BOM

It's not a new PCB Russ; I purchased a used Legato and the seller 'threw in' the Hermes Amanero board - unfortunately they had removed the isolator chip and linked across the pads (I didn't ask!) and I want to reinstate the isolator.

svDOxka.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
We designed Hermes Amanero around our own DACs and most others that only need the PCM/DSD signals - not flags - not that particular DAC (DSC2) you are using :)

I might do a REV2 that allows more flexibility for people who need it :)

Cheers!
Russ

@Russ, you are correct - it was the DSC1 design. I inverted the phase in the Botic driver and it plays perfectly.

Details here: BBB/Hermes/Cronus Success

Intermittent Amanaro / Hermes / Cronus failure

After a couple of flawless weeks working in my B3SEPRO the Amanero input is failing - Symptoms are that after a minute or so of being on, the dac unlocks and output stops. It usually comes back a few times on and off for a few seconds before cutting out totally. Other inputs work fine.

The behavior seems thermal related, but I am unsure where to start troubleshooting.
I guess it could be the Amanero/Cronus/Hermes combo or perhaps the DAC board serial input itself.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Thanks