Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 24th February 2018, 05:27 AM   #101
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@luchoh, the TPA Amanero Hermes only isolates the data and clock lines as Russ has said. How are you connecting the mute/DSD-on (Amanero pins 7 and 11) to DSC2 - via an isolator? And remember, Hermes/Cronus uses pin 11 for clock select so you need to reconfigure to compensate for that. That's why I'm designing my own Hermes-derivative PCB.

As for the 'Amanero works and other sources don't' observation - I think that is simply down to the good work put in by Dom at Amanero to optimise the DSD playback aspects of the Amanero firmware - something others don't seem to have done.
Old 24th February 2018, 05:41 AM   #102
luchoh is offline luchoh  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
Default Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
@luchoh, the TPA Amanero Hermes only isolates the data and clock lines as Russ has said. How are you connecting the mute/DSD-on (Amanero pins 7 and 11) to DSC2 - via an isolator? And remember, Hermes/Cronus uses pin 11 for clock select so you need to reconfigure to compensate for that. That's why I'm designing my own Hermes-derivative PCB.

@nautibuoy, I am planning on using the DIYINHK isolator solely for the remaining 2 pins 7/11, though something tells me it’s a lost cause. I think there is something else going on here, which I’m completely unqualified figuring out.
I don’t think pins 7/11 are significant: when I was connecting Amanero directly, I disconnected them and connected pin 7 to pin 10 and skipped pin 11 altogether (or connected it to GND.)
No noise - just pops as expected, as well as the DAC taking time to latch on the signal, but the music was as beautiful as always.
I think Russ is onto something here with these mysterious flags of his...

Last edited by luchoh; 24th February 2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 24th February 2018, 06:26 AM   #103
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Look at the DSC2 schematic, there are no other connections for 'mysterious flags' just 3 (DSD1), 4 (DSD Clk), 5 (DSD2), 7 (DSD-on) & 11 (Mute), plus 9&10 for 3.3V in (and Ground connections of course). My starting point is simply to provide the DSC2 board with the signals it expects to see, but all isolated and the data reclocked via a Cronus board.

I'm not saying that my experiment will work, just that the Amanero version of Hermes doesn't facilitate the correct isolated connections. I have some DIYINHK Amanero isolator boards that I may look to use as a temporary arrangement.
Old 24th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #104
MWL168 is offline MWL168  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchoh View Post

DAM1021 by the way works perfectly with the same Hermes/Cronus combinations.
Are you using Amanero in this configuration? If so, can you share the firmwares and configuration bits you use?

In a separate thread in this forum I am trying to figure out an issue where I use a Cronus/Hermes/Amanero combo with the DAM1021. When I play music using a MacBook Pro, the Audirvana and iTune work flawlessly but I am having dropout and popping noise issues when playing videos on YouTube and Amazon. At Russ's suggestion, I did find a few firmware combinations that work but it's a purely try-and-error shot in the dark practice and would really appreciate any experience, thoughts and advises that others can share.

Thanks!
Old 24th February 2018, 05:38 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWL168 View Post
Are you using Amanero in this configuration? If so, can you share the firmwares and configuration bits you use?

In a separate thread in this forum I am trying to figure out an issue where I use a Cronus/Hermes/Amanero combo with the DAM1021. When I play music using a MacBook Pro, the Audirvana and iTune work flawlessly but I am having dropout and popping noise issues when playing videos on YouTube and Amazon. At Russ's suggestion, I did find a few firmware combinations that work but it's a purely try-and-error shot in the dark practice and would really appreciate any experience, thoughts and advises that others can share.

Thanks!

I only tried DAM1021 once with the Amanero and a configuration I don’t recall now, because since then I tried a lot of combinations to make it work with DSC1.
Also I only use Roon or Roon/HQPlayer, so I don’t think I can help here, sorry.
Old 24th February 2018, 05:41 PM   #106
MWL168 is offline MWL168  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
Old 24th February 2018, 05:45 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Look at the DSC2 schematic, there are no other connections for 'mysterious flags' just 3 (DSD1), 4 (DSD Clk), 5 (DSD2), 7 (DSD-on) & 11 (Mute), plus 9&10 for 3.3V in (and Ground connections of course). My starting point is simply to provide the DSC2 board with the signals it expects to see, but all isolated and the data reclocked via a Cronus board.

I'm not saying that my experiment will work, just that the Amanero version of Hermes doesn't facilitate the correct isolated connections. I have some DIYINHK Amanero isolator boards that I may look to use as a temporary arrangement.

@nautibuoy I’m not arguing with your logic. However, there could be something in the data lines that makes the difference. I know it doesn’t make sense, but here we are.
Also, for the sake of the experiment, I connected Amanero 7/11 pins directly, which is probably stupid and can damage something. I did not connect the “dirty” and “clean“ grounds though.
There was no difference to the previous case where pin7 was tied to pin10 and pin11 - to ground.
Old 24th February 2018, 06:23 PM   #108
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

We designed Hermes Amanero around our own DACs and most others that only need the PCM/DSD signals - not flags - not that particular DAC (DSC2) you are using

I might do a REV2 that allows more flexibility for people who need it

Cheers!
Russ
Old 24th February 2018, 06:23 PM   #109
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchoh View Post
@nautibuoy I’m not arguing with your logic. However, there could be something in the data lines that makes the difference. I know it doesn’t make sense, but here we are.
Also, for the sake of the experiment, I connected Amanero 7/11 pins directly, which is probably stupid and can damage something. I did not connect the “dirty” and “clean“ grounds though.
There was no difference to the previous case where pin7 was tied to pin10 and pin11 - to ground.
You have to connect GNDs - or that would never work.
Old 24th February 2018, 06:26 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
You have to connect GNDs - or that would never work.

I figured as much but was afraid doing it @Russ White.
Thank you: I’ll report my findings here.

Introducing the Hermes-AmaneroHide this!Advertise here!