• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Does anyone know if it is possible to use any of the SPI pins on P9 header together with the Botic Cape. I am trying to connect an LCD controlled through SPI together with the botic cape but I don't see an easy way. I could use the BBB I2C but that would limit the speed of LCD update. Struggling to attach a T6963C device previously used on an arduino MCU.

I thought of your question when I happened upon these tables that I previously used. It would be interesting to know if Hermes on a BBB would clean up the noise from flat panel displays. An acquaintance using a bare RPi gets good-sounding HDMI output. ...though it is audio only - not used for a display.

Attachments

• BeagleboneBlackP8HeaderTable.pdf
    115.5 KB · Views: 94
  • BeagleboneBlackP9HeaderTable.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 70
Maybe someone on this thread can help me out?! I’ve got moderate hacking/soldering skills and a medium level of knowledge about electronic components. I’ve got a DMM but no scope.

I started with the BBB image posted in the DSC GB thread, basically completely stripped save for NAA and a shell. I can get the BBB to play if I set the clock to internal and do not connect the Hermes board (without Cronus). Even with the clocks set to internal as soon as I connect the Hermes ALSA on the BBB will time out. Right now I’m using the botic image from ieero.com with the same results so I’m thinking hardware problems for sure.

I’ve read through hundreds of posts :) and I’m thinking maybe the BBB is not getting a clock from the Cronus - but that doesn’t make sense when I set the optargs to the internal 48k clock of the BBB why the Hermes will stop playback?

I’ve attached a few images of my board config - no DAC connected currently as I haven’t gotten past the inability to start playback. I ended up reversing the header on the Cronus / Hermes connection after laying it all out (without a hot air station that was fun...).

I reflowed all header solder joints as well as the 4-pin sockets for the RHEA modules. There was a wonky SMD component on the Cronus - I was able to shift it over just a little bit so it wasn’t on top of the cap right next to it. I’m supplying 5.2V to each module and it doesn’t seem to make a difference whether I give power to the BBB/Hermes side from the Hermes or the BBB barrel connector.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
j9qYaVP.jpg

KMetfr1.jpg

dIKv2Sc.jpg

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have you enabled external clocks?

--------------------
Clocks configuration
--------------------

Installed clocks are configurable via:
- kernel option snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk

Examples:
0 ... no external clocks, just onboard for 48k freq
1 ... external clock for 44k1 + onboard for 48k
2 ... external clock for 48k only
3 ... external clocks for 44k1 and 48k (default)
+4 ... invert polarity of clock selection switch GPIO0_15
9 ... external clock for 44k1 only

Yes - if I set the master clocks to ‘0’ and boot without the Hermes connected I can play a file. As soon as I connect the Hermes (without Cronus) and have the master clock still at ‘0’ ALSA times out.

If I set master clocks to ‘3’ I get ALSA timeouts in any configuration.

Have you enabled external clocks?

--------------------
Clocks configuration
--------------------

Installed clocks are configurable via:
- kernel option snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk

Examples:
0 ... no external clocks, just onboard for 48k freq
1 ... external clock for 44k1 + onboard for 48k
2 ... external clock for 48k only
3 ... external clocks for 44k1 and 48k (default)
+4 ... invert polarity of clock selection switch GPIO0_15
9 ... external clock for 44k1 only

I tried The clocks at both positions. It looks like the ieero site is using a 1:1 divider - I tried that as well with setting the 44 and 48 uEnv options on the 40mhz range - same result.

What really gets me is that the Hermes with no Cronus stops ALSA when I’m telling the BBB to use internal clocks.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
4 pin socket next to J1 on Hermes? ...unless you want a different source than the bbb for non-isolated side...

Use 2:1 divider on Cronus...

Also - and important!... when running without a battery to the BBB/Hermes you must never interrupt power. Always shut down the BBB either via command line or small on-board button before removing power source.

Last edited:
Yeah - I’ve been doing the bulk of the testing using the 2:1 divider and the default clock rate kernel options for botic, I thought I’d give 1:1 a shot, to no avail.

The 4-pin header near J1 on Hermes - I thought those pins were for jumpering when a battery is connected? I’ve got no battery attached currently.

4 pin socket next to J1 on Hermes? ...unless you want a different source than the bbb for non-isolated side...

Use 2:1 divider on Cronus...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@darkstargtk... BTW, the battery should be typical LiPO voltage - ~3.7v. At first I thought it needed to output 5 v so included a USB voltage regulator - no go. For a permanent installation, I think a battery is more than worth the effort. I suggest placing it where any unintended heat buildup will not cause damage to another component in the chassis. Also, I may be mis-remembering re: 5v from BBB to Hermes (it's been ages since I set mine up). :rolleyes: Check the Hermes sources for voltage with a voltmeter. Some are 3.3, some 5v...

Last edited:
Francolargo- thanks for the tips regarding the battery - I’ve had one on order from overseas - it should be here in the next month or two! Haha.

Yes - the Hermes and BBB share 5v on the ‘dirty’ side. I’ve got 5 and 3.3 on the Hermes when it is powered from the block or via the BBB. With the Cronus connected I also have 3.3 on the clean side.

I’m pretty sure a clock is not making it to the BBB but I don’t know how to check! I’m also stumped why ALSA times out with Hermes connected and BBB told to use internal 48k clock...

@darkstargtk... BTW, the battery should be typical LiPO voltage - ~3.7v. At first I thought it needed to output 5 v so included a USB voltage regulator - no go. For a permanent installation, I think a battery is more than worth the effort. I suggest placing it where any unintended heat buildup will not cause damage to another component in the chassis. Also, I may be mis-remembering re: 5v from BBB to Hermes (it's been ages since I set mine up). :rolleyes: Check the Hermes sources for voltage with a voltmeter. Some are 3.3, some 5v...

If I run 'aplay' with verbose flags it just indefinitely hangs.

If I run 'play' with a verbosity of 6 the most info I can get out of it is:

play DBUG effects: sox_add_effect: extending effects table, new size = 8
play INFO sox: effects chain: input 44100Hz 2 channels (multi) 16 bits 00:03:22.43
play INFO sox: effects chain: output 44100Hz 2 channels (multi) 16 bits 00:03:22.43
play DBUG sox: automatically entering interactive mode
In:0.00% 00:00:00.00 [00:03:22.43] Out:0 [ | ] Clip:0 play WARN alsa: Input/output error
play FAIL sox: `default' Device or resource busy: Operation not permitted
Done.

It takes a good 15-20 seconds to fail and bounce me back to the shell.

For diagnosing the BBB, the 'verbose' debug level for the command 'aplay' can be very revealing. aplay(1) - Linux man page

Hey everyone, I finished the prototype of my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build. The whole setup is shown below.

However, I got a problem when turning it on for the first time (already described in the Buffalo thread). The four LEDs on the Hermes-BBB board only flashed for a brief moment and then went out. After that the BBB board was dead (there are no burning marks on the board). Now I ordered a new BBB but do not want to blow it up again. Maybe you could verify my setup or give me some advice how to proceed?

I attached some pictures of the setup with close-ups of the Hermes-BBB. I configured the Placid HD BP according to the manual and also verified the correct voltage of 5V for the LCDPS.

Q1: The Hermes LEDs also do not light up anymore. Does anyone know whether it requires a working BBB in order that the LEDs work? This would mean the Hermes is also destroyed.

Q2: Any suggestion how I could verify whether the Hermes-BBB is still working?

Q3: Any suggestions what might have gone wrong with my setup and what I should change for next try?

Q4: What is the best way to power the BBB board? Also from the LCDPS or with its dedicated mini-USB charger? I used the latter.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_085217.jpg
    IMG_20180908_085217.jpg
    935.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20180908_085131.jpg
    IMG_20180908_085131.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20180908_085140.jpg
    IMG_20180908_085140.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited: