• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Tidal/Wimp satisfies all the above questions. Because there is a Wimp plugin for Squeezebox.

I am running Logitech Media Server 7.7.4 with the Wimp plugin and Squeezelite as the client all on an Ubuntu 14.04 server. I control it with either the Squeezebox app on my phone or with the web interface.

The result is reliable lossless flac streaming. I dont see why it should not work on a BBB as well.

The battery solution is very simple. The feature that causes the BBB to shutdown on AC power loss is a kernel feature. It is found in many distros for BBB not just Miero's (though he does some nice things to make it better - like unmounting NFS/CIFS)

There is absolutely no need to use a microcontroller to do the job - it is an unnecessary complication.

Installation is just as it shows in the link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twis...mbedded-audio-applicance-118.html#post4200187

I am quite pleased with the power off behaviour in all of the distros I have tried. The BBB shuts down quite nicely. It is important though to make sure you have good shutdown scripts that release resources and stop things as they should. This is a common Linux caveat though.

Another cool thing is you can override the simple (and very safe) shutdown behavior and roll your own. For instance it is not too hard to make it wait until the battery drops below the min level - and then shutdown (this gives you more UPS like behaviour)

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you, but what type of battery pack. Like a make etc?
For compactness, a protected lithium polymer (rectangular) cell (the battery has protection, so your charger doesn't have to). Make/model? Random Chinese vendor names. Most will come with solder tabs or pig tails already, so are easy to use. Outside of a Sony defective run type situation, use with a BBB is not going to put the battery is any particular danger, so that should be no big deal (if you're not anal about your cell phone, tablet, etc., batteries saying Made in Japan or Made in Korea, you've already been taking way bigger risks for years, in devices that can provide much better confined hot spaces).

A protected round cell would work, too, but you'd still need a battery holder. You can find Sony and Panasonic protected 18650 cells (laptop size), though, if you look. Even the ones with solder tabs, though, aren't as easy as they look, so a button or just tab-less one, with a battery holder, would be easier, IMO.

For unprotected round cells, an IMR type (AKA Li-Mn), like a Sony us18650v3, would work well (IMR need no protection, and work fine at up to 4.2V, but no protection also means you can over-discharge them), but it would need an added battery holder, as well. They are gradually taking over the areas where LFP (aka LiFePO4) has been used, due to having all the voltage and capacity of regular Lithium Ion cells (they have some caveats, of course, as all Lithium battery types do, but none of them would apply, here).

Last edited: