• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Just for you to wire them up. :) There are two I2C headers - one is isolated (normally used for controlling a DAC) and one shares common GND from the BBB (for things that don't connect to the DAC - like a display, port expander, etc).
I mean I2S' BCLK and LRCLK, to slaves. If I enable the other channels (only need 1, maybe 2, of 4, for DAC use), will the clocks be going out regardless of audio data, as a way to do it?

My mistake - for some reason my tired brain read I2C instead of I2S. :)

I2S is I2S you will treat it (Cronus) like any other I2S source. There are two PCM channels per data signal and you have up to 4 data signals - so 8 channels. You will want to use an 8 channel DAC if you want to use all 8 channels, or rig up your own signal distribution scheme.

Last edited:
My mistake - for some reason my tired brain read I2C instead of I2S. :)

I2S is I2S you will treat it (Cronus) like any other I2S source. There are two PCM channels per data signal and you have up to 4 data signals - so 8 channels. You will want to use an 8 channel DAC if you want to use all 8 channels, or rig up your own signal distribution scheme.
What I'm looking to do is have it mix a digital input. At a minimum, it looks like will require a Metronome (also an input, but PC to I2S out I already have several options for), output slaved to the shared I2S, and possibly a MiniDSP Ministreamer also slaved (that may require an extra S/PDIF conversion, instead, though), to provide the input to ALSA, matched to the current output (being digital to digital, jitter should only be a real issue at the Metronome input).

The BBB itself just has one set of clock lines shared by all 4 data channels. Can very close daisy chaining be done without causing problems (like just enough room to fit an earthed metal plate in between them, stacked)? If so, any particular needs, as far as the cabling goes (I see twisted 28+ga, and tiny antenna coax used a lot, for example)?

Supersurfer: here is the generic scheme for answering similar questions
Q1) does it work on desktop Linux?
Q2) does it work also without graphical user interface on desktop Linux?
Q3) can it be controlled remotelly?
Q4) is there someone who has time to program/setup/integrate this?

For Spotify: there is either Mopidy (MPD alternative with Spotify support) and also SqueezeOnArch player should IMHO support it
For Tidal/Wimp: Even the Q1 is not reliably satisfied (if playing using google-chrome)