Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 5th October 2017, 12:05 PM   #611
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Output of Cronus matches Buffalo 3 pin mapping (check its documentation).

Input side of Cronus:
- 1 DCK_IN (bitclock)
- 2 GND
- 3 D1_IN
- 4 GND
- 5 D2_IN
- 6 GND
- 7 D3_IN
- 8 GND
- 9 D4_IN
- 10 GND
- 11 D5_IN
- 12 GND
- 13 D6_IN
- 14 GND
- 15 CS (input pin - clock select)
- 16 GND
- 17 MCK (output pin - actual master clock after division (J1 or J2) or direct (J3))
- 18 GND
- 19 3.3V
- 20 3.3V
Old 5th October 2017, 09:04 PM   #612
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Miero, thank you for the specification.
Old 15th November 2017, 02:38 AM   #613
sureshm is offline sureshm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Russ, can I please check if I have understood this correctly. With a Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo, the source feeding the Amanero has little influence on the final sound as the i2s going in to the DAC is re-clocked and isolated using a clean power supply? Therefore all the USB products out there that attempt to clean the USB signal/power (Jitterbug, ISO Regen, etc) won't be that effective? A simple rpi3, despite its various flaws, is sufficient to get very good sound as a source feeding the Amanero-Hermes-Cronus?
Old 15th November 2017, 04:03 AM   #614
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewF View Post
I see, thanks for the info!

I think I'll look into developing my own bi-directional isolator board, and will hopefully still be able to use Cronus as masterclock and to re-clock the I2S output from the BBB.

Cheers!

Matthew
Any progress on this, @MatthewF? Do you need the BBB to adapt to various input sampling frequencies, or will one input frequency suffice? If one frequency will do, the USB inputs to BBB work well as a client for streaming material up to 96kHz. SoX on the BBB will truck the USB through to ALSA, from which nicely-clocked I2S exits via the isolators and on to the DAC. I could give you some suggestions on working syntax for SoX and optimal BBB configurations...
Old 15th November 2017, 09:10 AM   #615
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Warning: BBB is not fast enough for SoX resampling on a better quality than low!
Old 15th November 2017, 03:28 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
Warning: BBB is not fast enough for SoX resampling on a better quality than low!
True - excellent point! To use SoX for USB streams you should decide what sampling rate SoX will use (96k or less) and perform any resampling on the supply side. For good quality filters (such as HQPlayer...) that resampling will require much more CPU than the BBB can muster. However, at 44 and 48kHz, SoX can run IIR or basic FIR filters using the BBB.

In my system, all sources using the USB input are fixed at 48kHz and any resampling happens in those upstream appliances. For these signals, the USB input pathway works great! ...and when the native freq. of the program material is 48k, the sound quality is impressive.

SoX has the lowest latency of the different options I tried for passing audio from video through to the DAC. Here is a command line example:

Without filters the buffer can probably be 1024:

Code:
chrt -f 45 sox --buffer 1024 -r 48000 -c 2 -t alsa hw:1,0 -t alsa hw:0,0
If I add a small FIR filter for mid freq. room modes, then a buffer of 2048 is better:

Code:
chrt -f 45 sox --buffer 2048 -r 48000 -c 2 -t alsa hw:1,0 -t alsa plug:filter1 fir /usr/filter/fir2peak48.txt vol 0dB 0.02
To run an LADSPA filter, the syntax would look something like this - ending with the filter parameters:

Code:
chrt -f 45 sox --buffer 1024 -r 48000 -c 2 -t alsa hw:1,0 -t alsa plug:filter1 ladspa ACDf 21 1 0 240 0.707 0 0 ladspa ACDf 21 1 0 240 0.707 0 0
I experimented with multiple SoX commands to create a speaker crossover but it was very tricky to time-align the different channels. ...not good for sound "imaging".

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by francolargo; 15th November 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 15th November 2017, 04:26 PM   #617
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshm View Post
Russ, can I please check if I have understood this correctly. With a Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo, the source feeding the Amanero has little influence on the final sound as the i2s going in to the DAC is re-clocked and isolated using a clean power supply? Therefore all the USB products out there that attempt to clean the USB signal/power (Jitterbug, ISO Regen, etc) won't be that effective? A simple rpi3, despite its various flaws, is sufficient to get very good sound as a source feeding the Amanero-Hermes-Cronus?
That is correct.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:15 PM   #618
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
To use SoX for USB streams you should decide what sampling rate SoX will use (96k or less) and perform any resampling on the supply side.
I should have mentioned that (obviously) you can kill and restart SoX using a different sample rate if your different USB sources can't resample. Its just that SoX won't adapt on the fly without performing linear interpolation. Sometimes that's better than nothing!
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:19 AM   #619
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Russ,
So, any plans for RPI Hermes ? + Cronus + Buffalo III Pro + Mercury it would be my ultimate setup

Last edited by Russ White; 22nd November 2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:20 PM   #620
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
Russ,
So, any plans for RPI Hermes ? + Cronus + Buffalo III Pro + Mercury it would be my ultimate setup
Already done - just testing (probably today)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2195.JPG (222.7 KB, 148 views)

Cronus - It's about time.Hide this!Advertise here!