DSD Initialization - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 22nd August 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
ericuco is offline ericuco  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DSD Initialization

I posted over on the TPA support forum last week but got no replies so am reposting here.

I have a BIIISE connected to a Schiit Wyrd hub then to a Mac Mini using A+. The USB board for the BIIISE is from JLSounds (Joro). The hub is needed due to issues with the Mini USB 3.0 not recognizing the DAC.

For PCM files, everything works fine (and sounds terrific).

However, for DSD files (DoP), I typically get an initialization error in A+ when trying to play the initial song of a playlist. Everything eventually rights itself (i.e. music starts playing) after hitting the A+ play button 2 or 3 times. I also get a small pop in between DSD tracks as well as rather decent sized pop after the last song in the playlist ends.

Could adjustments to the IIR bandwidth settings help with this issue for DSD files? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:27 PM   #2
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Buffalo DAC (ES9018) should not support DoP (DSD over PCM)...

Are you sure that you are really playing DSD files using DoP?
Old 25th August 2014, 04:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
Buffalo DAC (ES9018) should not support DoP (DSD over PCM)...

Are you sure that you are really playing DSD files using DoP?
Thanks for the reply.

I am fairly certain I am playing DSD files using DoP because A+ has a setting for this & I double checked my settings. Also in the A+ interface window it shows what the input (DSF 1bit/2.8MHz (DSD64) Stereo) & output (DSD64 Stereo) is.

Also, the JLSounds USB board only accepts DoP (not native DSD) from what I can tell. Obviously this could be an issue with the USB board just not sure how all the pieces fit together.
Old 25th August 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, so it also decodes DoP to native.

Try to check following from the product FAQ: "If I2SoverUSB detects DSD data, pin8 must be 3.3V."

If it is not at the beginning, then ask at product support.
Old 26th August 2014, 04:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If it is not at the beginning, then ask at product support.
Thanks Miero, I have asked Joro about this Pin 8 issue.

It is a bit confusing because I am sending DoP data which to my understanding is DSD data wrapped up in a PCM packet so there is no data conversion happening. If that is true, then either the USB board is sending DSD data (as intended) or else converting it to PCM. Hmmmm.
Old 27th August 2014, 04:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuco View Post
Thanks Miero, I have asked Joro about this Pin 8 issue.
Here is Joro's reply:

"ES9018 automatically detects the DSD signal and thatís why it doesnít need to use pin8. Almost all the rest DACs, which can play DSD, need an additional software control for their internal registers for DSD/PCM changing. Then this signal is used from a microcontroller, which controls the used DAC."

While this does not help with my original question pertaining to DSD initialization during startup or "pops" between tracks and an even larger "pop" after the last track, it does confirm that my implementation of the USB board is correct.
Old 27th August 2014, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

(a bit of unrelated) That small and large pops (DC steps of length ~1sec) happens with ES9018 also with BBB-I2S/DSD transport. I think issuing Mute command via I2C during the switches might solve the issue. But without I2C control I'm not sure if you'll be able to solve this.
Old 27th August 2014, 05:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(a bit of unrelated) That small and large pops (DC steps of length ~1sec) happens with ES9018 also with BBB-I2S/DSD transport. I think issuing Mute command via I2C during the switches might solve the issue. But without I2C control I'm not sure if you'll be able to solve this.
Thanks Miero, I think you are correct. From what I am told, some players like JRiver have a Mute function built-in for this reason. Unfortunately A+ does not have this Mute function.

I had previously had pops between DSD tracks with my BMC PureDAC which has a ES9018 chip.
Old 7th October 2014, 03:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default B-IIIse and DSD/PCM switching

My experience mimics yours. I use the Sonore USB interface, and it decodes DoP to DSD, and sends straight DSD to the B-IIIse. Between tracks there is a very quiet little tick, not always audible, this seems to be quite normal, especially for DSD files which are created by ripping from SACD via PlayStation.
At the end of a DSD album, there is a slightly larger pop, still not really annoying on my system, and I believe that comes when the ESS 9018 auto switches back to PCM.
I think Miero is probably right, that the only way to fix this would be to program something in via i2c which could mute the DAC when switching PCM-DSD and DSD-PCM. In my system these noises are not annoying enough to worry about at all.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Barrows. It is oddly comforting to know that you (of all people) are seeing the same thing. At least I know that my system is configured correctly.

I have recently switched players (from A+ to HQ Player) and no longer get the very slight pop between tracks but I do get a rather nasty pop after the last track is completed. I guess I will need to just live with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!