• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

seeking input on my chassis layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soon I will be dismantling my DAC to update as follows:

(1) Replace LCBPS currently powering Legato with Placid HD BP v2.1 and larger 50VA toroid.

(2) Add Amanero USB to I2S adapter + Acko S03 isolator.

(3) Add Otto-II 2:1 mux.

It's a basic Buffalo-II with current version Tridents, LCDPS, Legato v2 with supertex parts, S/PDIF 4:1 mux/receiver. Was planning to keep the LCDPS since I have Tridents.

Any suggestions on where to place the new items?

Any rearranging that should be done?

Any "low hanging fruit" to reap?

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pic below shows the arrangement I finally ended up with. :D

I wasn't quite sure how to handle the GND connections between the 4:1 mux/Otto-II/Buff-II. You can see the three blue shielded coax cables between the mux and the Otto and the three black UFL between the Otto and the Buff.

Should I connect GND between the mux and Otto or somewhere else?

Seems to be functioning fine on first listen via RCA out, apart from some occasional clicks and pops from both optical and USB inputs.

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bit of a one-sided conversation here, but everything is now working perfectly. Added ground connections between the 4:1/Otto and Buff/Otto. Fixed a dodgy connection on the Legato output. Making sweet music. Nice to finally have USB connectivity, and I think the PS upgrades were also a plus. The Otto switching has been flawless. Maybe time to finally machine and install the 10mm front panel!

BK

Really happy with the overall performance - thanks for the wonderful designs. Not a single hiccup so far. Very satisfying to pull it all off and enjoy the results!

Turning some attention to the future aluminum front panel, now thinking input LED indicators might be a nice addition. Does the "4-input selection kit" listed under the BIII page work directly with the 4:1 Mux? I think I saw you mention elsewhere that it is now the default shipped with the 4:1 instead of the mechanical rotary switch? Could be just the ticket if I can squeeze it in....

BK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.