• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Ik know Google should be my friend but sometimes the information can be so overwhelming or sparse that it is difficult to filter.

And I know here are lots of people knowing more than I ever will so I am trying to get the confirmation of things I think I know ... or know too little to be sure.

I'm using GitHub - Spotifyd/spotifyd: A spotify playing daemon as a started on demand, for this I use android ssh button.
conf file:

Code:
[global]
username = someusername
password = sameoldpaswd
backend = alsa
device = plug:default:Botic
device_name = my_botic_bbb
cache = /mnt/NAS/......

Thanks Miero! No problem for me. :)

I have another (maybe not so related) question though, regarding permissions. I try to run MPD as 'mpd' (set in mpd.conf), but then I have no permissions to play anything. Is this something I can fix with for example fstab, or is it my Synology NAS that needs to be attended? Or is it something else I'm missing?

... and unfortunately no luck in fixing the problem so far. Same error message when trying: "Permission denied" in MPC/MPD ...

This is what my fstab looks like now:
//192.168.0.15/Music /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=xxxxxx,password=xxxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,cache=none,uid=1000,gid=1001 0 0

Yep, sorry, tried that after reading your post again ... and realised that this is what you meant ... :) Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. Does it matter who is set as the owner of the files on the NAS? I can set it to 'mpd' (this is what I currently use), 'admin' (which I also tried, to no avail) or whatever, but what is the correct setting for it? Sorry for stupid questions ... :-/ (And thanks for all the help!) :)

make sure that files in /mnt/music are owned by user mpd

ls -al /mnt/music

if they are not, then you need to fix fstab ... for example I've pasted your line with added whitespace in "iocharse t"

also you can impersonate as user mpd and retry

(as root) su - mpd

then check if you access can files in /mnt/music

So when I try 'su mpd' (I assume this is how it is written as a command?), and then whoami, I still get 'root'. Is this to be expected? It looks like 'mpd' is the owner of all the music files, so that should be fine; but it still gives 'permission denied' or 'ERROR: Failed to decode Musikk/Steely Dan/Aja/Steely Dan - Josie.aiff' as mpc expresses it (which I'm pretty sure is the same permission error as before?). If I go to var/logs/mpd/mpd.log it says the same; "Jul 18 20:26 : errno: Failed to open "/mnt/music/Musikk/Steely Dan/Aja/Steely Dan - Josie.aiff": Permission denied" ... that is; when I set user to 'mpd' in mpd.conf. What might I be missing? Could it be some settings that needs to be set for Alsa or something else like that?

Hi,
I think this is a problem caused in mounting. Check what you fstab says. Mine was the following:
//192.168.1.77/Audio /data/Audio cifs user=mpd,pass=yourpassword,uid=mpd,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,iocharset=utf8,cache=strict,gid=audio 0 0
The important part here is user=mpd, and putting the password for the owner of the music files (if e.g. a NAS is used) after pass=.
Perhaps this helps.
Otherwise see the debian/ubuntu guides for permission problems, and please report back.

Hi Murdoc! It seems the mounting is the problem, yes, and I can't get my head around it. Too many options in Synology for me to choose from, and I have no clue what most of them do. As soon as I switch back to 'admin', everything works fine, but if I try to use a specific user (i.e. 'mpd') it fails to mount. I have given mpd all the rights I can on the NAS (Synology), but nothing seems to help. I think I just keep using 'admin' as my user, even if this is not the correct solution for this. It will at least let me play music ... :) Thanks again for trying to help! :)

If I remember correctly, mpd has to use the user "mpd" to work properly.
Now you just have to create a user "mpd" on your NFS [server side] (your case from synology), and give it the proper rights: that he (mpd) can access the files on, e.g., your music partition. Using google you find dozens of tutorials, and synology themselfes also have them.
The last part is on your client side, here botic or whatever you use.
Therefore you use the command you see above, and the important bits are user="" and pass="".

In general you can use cifs and NFS, the latter being faster because it's leaner, because it hasn't to be compatible to Microsoft's network layer (Microsoft=propriate=complicated=slow). :p
For this you can also find plenty of tutorials.

Regards,
Matthias

If I remember correctly, mpd has to use the user "mpd" to work properly.
Now you just have to create a user "mpd" on your NFS [server side] (your case from synology), and give it the proper rights: that he (mpd) can access the files on, e.g., your music partition. Using google you find dozens of tutorials, and synology themselfes also have them.
The last part is on your client side, here botic or whatever you use.
Therefore you use the command you see above, and the important bits are user="" and pass="".

In general you can use cifs and NFS, the latter being faster because it's leaner, because it hasn't to be compatible to Microsoft's network layer (Microsoft=propriate=complicated=slow). :p
For this you can also find plenty of tutorials.

Regards,
Matthias

Thanks for your input and help, Matthias! As far as I can understand, all of those things you mention above is how I have done it in the past as well. I think MPD is run as MPD and not root as soon as it has gone through the mpd.conf-file, but this is where it fails. So, until this becomes a problem for me, I just continue running the whole thing as 'root' (by not uncommenting the #user 'mpd' i mpd.conf), and enjoy my music ... :)

Edit: After reading the mpd.conf file once more; this is the part where I think it might not work as intended;

# This setting specifies the group that MPD will run as. If not specified
# primary group of user specified with "user" setting will be used (if set).
# This is useful if MPD needs to be a member of group such as "audio" to
# have permission to use sound card.
#
group "audio"

So, is there any way I can check if the group 'audio' has the right permissions to use the sound card?

--Knut :)

Last edited:
Hi Knut,

in my old mpd.conf I have uncommented group by: #group.

I think it is more a problem of the samba/nfs user rights.
If you want to access a server, you have to configure in the server: that:
1st: A specific user has an account, and a specific password.
2nd: This user has some rights on the server, e.g. access to the folder /audio. Then you have different access-rights: show the content, read, and write. You'll need a write access for mpd, as mpd (as far as I know) also wants to write some stats to the mounted folder. But this behavior you can configure in mpd.conf.

So, something to read: Linux or Debian/Ubuntu: user rights. read/write access. The tutorials of Arch/Manjaro are often the best, but Arch/Manjaro is a slightly different architecture from Debian.
Another hint: The guides of Synology/Qnap are sometimes quite helpful. The free projects freenas/openmediavault e.g. are more correct, because they don't use marketing-********-invented-names, but the correct terms.
Sometimes it's smarter to use the easy way, when it just works, but the time invested pays off when you keep using this.
Cheers,
Matthias