• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not sure what I am going to try next...

Hi Torsten,

My system sounds fine using IIR crossover filters. I suggest Linkwitz-Riley 4th order alignments. There is a thread concerning this where others have helped me and I have tried to help others. Messing with ALSA is not always fun, so having a place to ask specific questions is useful.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/277564-ladspa-filters-digital-crossovers-bbb.html

The filters run in ALSA and processing does not interfere with botic's management of sample rates. Both IIR and FIR filters have sonic disadvantages - FIR can cause 'pre-ringing', while IIR can disrupt phase. With separate woofers, you can correct phase somewhat by changing the time alignment to those drivers (or moving the boxes).

Unfortunately, the LADSPA filters do not work on DSD sources. If you have questions I suggest asking on the LADSPA filter thread.

All the best,

Frank

Last edited:
Hi miero. I've been planning to use BBB/botic with a DSD 'no-dac' but people still report loud 'pop' noises with switching to DSD, changing rates etc. The issue appears to be Alsa related and doing some research on the issue I stumbled across this patch and wondered if it's been, or should be, applied to Botic?

[PATCH] ALSA: usb-audio: Eliminate noise at the start of DSD playback. — ALSA Devel

Tha patch notes refer a lot to USB DAC connection but I think that is just because of the reference framework of the developer and if Alsa is failing to produce proper DSD silence patterns it will apply beyond USB implementations.

I don't think the DSD pop affects ESS DACs because of the way they operate.

Hi Miero,
I'm also looking forward to your new release! There are other OSs with more features, but everything you include just works! And in the end we want to listen to music, don't we?
Thank you for your great work, you are the man who put all this together and is still keeping it together and improving it! Also your responses to other people's problems is just amazing, and there are people out there who own money with products and don't have a comparable service! Kudos to you!
Matthias

I want to be able to play Spotify too through my Botic BBB ( Jessie + Botic 4 ).
I do not have a premium Spotify account and do not plan to get one.

I have MPD + MPad which suits me fine.

I have found Mopidy but it seems to be an alternative to MPD but not an add-on / plug-in for MPD so it suggest I need to change my client too if I abandon MPD.
Same goes for Squeezelite I guess ?

Or am I missing something and is it actually much simpler than I think it is ?

Ik know Google should be my friend but sometimes the information can be so overwhelming or sparse that it is difficult to filter.

And I know here are lots of people knowing more than I ever will so I am trying to get the confirmation of things I think I know ... or know too little to be sure.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
But what about the part of my question to get it working using MPD ... possible or not ?

No. The existing 'plugins' for Spotify are configured to access paid accounts. The one that runs with Squeezelite on LMS is 3rd party code and not nearly as well developed for ease of selection as Spotify's own programs. For Spotify you are better off streaming into your BBB via an external input. I use SPDIF via a USB interface. Those are not part of Botic, by the way. The price for this convenience is loss of fidelity...

Last edited: