• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Mull3t: yes, I'm working on a updated version

kencmh & Alex013: please check that those parameters are correctly set in the driver:

Miero,

Here's are my Config. I tried different Botic parameters, but still no sound for DSD. Any ideas, thanks in advance!

volumio@volumio:~$ for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo $i=$(cat $i); done
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio=64
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_44k1=22579200
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_48k=24576000
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format=16385
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dsd_format_switch=1
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk=3
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig=default
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig=MMMM

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/mpd.conf
# Volumio MPD Configuration File

# Files and directories #######################################################
music_directory "/var/lib/mpd/music"
playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
db_file "/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache"
#log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file "/var/run/mpd/pid"
#state_file "/var/lib/mpd/state"
#sticker_file "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"
###############################################################################

# General music daemon options ################################################
user "mpd"
group "audio"
bind_to_address "any"
#port "6600"
#log_level "default"
gapless_mp3_playback "no"
#save_absolute_paths_in_playlists "no"
#metadata_to_use "artist,album,title,track,name,genre,date,composer,performer,disc"
auto_update "yes"
#auto_update_depth "3"
# Symbolic link behavior ######################################################
follow_outside_symlinks "yes"
follow_inside_symlinks "yes"
# Input #######################################################################
#
input {
plugin "curl"
# proxy "proxy.isp.com:8080"
# proxy_user "user"
# proxy_password "password"
}

# Audio Output ################################################################
audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "Botic"
device "hw:0,0"
dop "no"
dsd_native "yes"
dsd_native_type "3"
mixer_device "hw:0"
mixer_control "Master"
mixer_type "hardware"

}

#audio_output {
# type "fifo"
# enabled "no"
# name "multiroom"
# path "/tmp/snapfifo"
# format "44100:16:2"
#}

samplerate_converter "soxr very high"
#replaygain "album"
#replaygain_preamp "0"
volume_normalization "no"

# MPD Internal Buffering ######################################################
audio_buffer_size "8192"
buffer_before_play "10%"

# Resource Limitations ########################################################
#connection_timeout "60"
max_connections "20"
max_playlist_length "32384"
max_command_list_size "8192"
max_output_buffer_size "16384"

# Character Encoding ##########################################################
filesystem_charset "UTF-8"
id3v1_encoding "UTF-8"

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Botic [Botic], device 0: external botic-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

volumio@volumio:~$ uname -r
4.8.13-botic7-rc3

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /boot/uEnv.txt
#Docs: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:U-boot_partitioning_layout_2.0

uname_r=4.8.13-botic7-rc3

#dtb=am335x-boneblack.dtb
dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb
#dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic-sabre32.dtb

cmdline=coherent_pool=1M imgpart=/dev/mmcblk0p2 imgfile=/volumio_current.sqsh quiet

#Docs for Botic: http://bbb.ieero.com/
optargs=snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.dsd_format_switch=1 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MMMM snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=default

# Fix console on older bootloaders
console=ttyS0,115200n8

##These are needed to be compliant with Angstrom's 2013.06.20 u-boot.

loadaddr=0x82000000
fdtaddr=0x88000000
rdaddr=0x88080000

initrd_high=0xffffffff
fdt_high=0xffffffff

##These are needed to be compliant with Debian 2014-05-14 u-boot.

loadximage=echo debug: [/boot/vmlinuz-${uname_r}] ... ; load mmc 0:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/vmlinuz-${uname_r}
loadxfdt=echo debug: [/boot/dtbs/${uname_r}/${fdtfile}] ... ;load mmc 0:1 ${fdtaddr} /boot/dtbs/${uname_r}/${fdtfile}
loadxrd=echo debug: [/boot/initrd.img-${uname_r}] ... ; load mmc 0:1 ${rdaddr} /boot/initrd.img-${uname_r}; setenv rdsize ${filesize}
loaduEnvtxt=load mmc 0:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/uEnv.txt ; env import -t ${loadaddr} ${filesize};
check_dtb=if test -n ${dtb}; then setenv fdtfile ${dtb};fi;
loadall=run loaduEnvtxt; run check_dtb; run loadximage; run loadxrd; run loadxfdt;

mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=tty0 console=${console} ${optargs} ${cape_disable} ${cape_enable} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype} ${cmdline}

uenvcmd=run loadall; run mmcargs; echo debug: [${bootargs}] ... ; echo debug: [bootz ${loadaddr} ${rdaddr}:${rdsize} ${fdtaddr}] ... ; bootz ${loadaddr} ${rdaddr}:${rdsize} ${fdtaddr};

miero, I went with using WinSCP to /tmp and run the following command:

Code:
wget [url]http://repo.ieero.com/botic/pool/main/l/linux-upstream/linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb[/url]

/tmp$ dpkg -i /tmp/linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3.
(Reading database ... 33229 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (from .../linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-botic7-rc3
Setting up linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (1) ...

sync

reboot

/$ uname -a
Linux bbb 3.16.1-botic3 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 28 01:44:57 CEST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

That is, there was no update.

miero, I'm ready to compare. Where do I get the images?

My BBB with botic sounds great, but I have a problem with major drop outs lasting for several seconds. MPD sometimes looses connection as well, but not always. Probably something to do with the network, but I have no clue how to track down the error. Any suggestions to where I should look to find possible solutions to this? Any logs for example?

My BBB with botic sounds great, but I have a problem with major drop outs lasting for several seconds. MPD sometimes looses connection as well, but not always. Probably something to do with the network, but I have no clue how to track down the error. Any suggestions to where I should look to find possible solutions to this? Any logs for example?

Take a look at the mpd logs - my guess if you are getting buffer under-runs. You could also tail the syslog and see if your network is dropping out.

Cheers!
Russ

Cyrilliu, I'm very sorry, but it is impossible what you are writing here ... your cable removal experiments has nothing to do with the audio device that is connected to the I2S/DSD output of the BBB. If there were a buffer inside S03, then the seeking operation would not work immediately, but it would be delayed by 50 seconds.

If that really happens, then you have another problem with your setup.

There is no magic in the BBB with Botic driver :)

Take a look at the mpd logs - my guess if you are getting buffer under-runs. You could also tail the syslog and see if your network is dropping out.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks! I did look at the mpd.log (not sure if there is more than one?), but haven't looked at the syslog. Exactly the help I need, since I'm totally green on Linux ... :)

Btw: The mpd.log didn't report any errors.

So this was all in syslog, which doesn't tell me that anything is wrong? Strange date, though? I look into the logs to see if there is anything else ... Thanks again! :)

Jan 15 06:25:02 botic rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.6.3" x-pid="1124" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
Jan 15 06:25:03 botic rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.6.3" x-pid="1124" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
Jan 15 06:40:30 botic dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67
Jan 15 06:40:30 botic dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
Jan 15 06:40:30 botic dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.104 -- renewal in 1542 seconds.
Jan 15 06:47:01 botic /USR/SBIN/CRON[1506]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly ))
Jan 15 07:06:12 botic dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67
Jan 15 07:06:12 botic dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
Jan 15 07:06:12 botic dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.104 -- renewal in 1704 seconds.
Jan 15 07:17:01 botic /USR/SBIN/CRON[1520]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Jan 15 07:34:36 botic dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67
Jan 15 07:34:36 botic dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
Jan 15 07:34:36 botic dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.104 -- renewal in 1608 seconds.

@miero: I'm looking to use the cape with a plain mpd install on debian stretchat . my main reason is to have a system as close as it can be to vanilla debian with access to the latest versions.

i have some basic knowledge about linux and I can help to test and generate images for the adventurous types. :)

at the moment I'm looking for a solution to recompile libasound2 (alsa 1.1.2-1) with your patches. some basic guidance will be apreciated.

@mikelangeloz: for the moment I'm using 2.041 image. is there any progress with mpd test version update because I cannot play dsd files.

kernel: Linux bbb 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 #1 PRMPT Sat Dec 10 01:35:51 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

alsa lib: Linux bbb 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 #1 PREEMPT Sat Dec 10 01:35:51 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

mpd: Music Player Daemon 0.19.19

when I want to play a dsd file mpd crashes with

mpd: pcm_misc.c:620: snd_pcm_format_set_silence: Assertion `0' failed.

I presume that I have to recompile mpd?

if needed we can use another thread, forum or private to look into this. please let me know which one do you prefer.

Thank you both for the effort to keep this project alive.

Hello miero. Regarding your mute solution;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver-197.html#post4899433

I'm sorry to say that I've not had the opportunity to test this yet; it seems that I have a hardware fault on my Hermes/Cronus that the I've not had time to resolve yet.

To enable me to test it I will connect my No-DAC board directly to the BBB header pins and forego isolation and reclocking temporarily. Can you tell me which BBB header pins expose the mute 'signal' please.

Many thanks

cmiu007: I'll consider providing compiled MPD against correct ALSA libraries in DEB.

nautibuoy: Please find and recheck my post, it should be written here. Btw, in the next version the parameter will be different, to support both Mute and PCM/DSD switches.

DmKorneev: I'm not able to provide a help with time. No time for this. If possible, don't do this now :)

HI! installed bbb-botic-v4-1gb.img on SDcard. Then installed linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb . Got Linux botic 4.8.13-botic7-rc3. But I can not install on eMMC.
I bear command dd if = /dev/mmcblk0 of =/dev/mmcblk1. After this command, the board does not boot.
How to move normally botic7-rc3_1 in eMMC?