• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

@miero - yes this version has a few different features from Rev C BBB...

1. On board Bluetooth and WiFi with u.FL connector for ext. antenna.
2. 1GB ram vs. 512MB
3. GigE vs. 100MB/s Ethernet
4. 2x USB2 ports vs. 1x USB2 port.
5. Triple-axis accelerometer and Gyro sensors
6. MEMS pressure sensor with 260-1260 mbar absolute digital output barometer

The only features I really need or want is the GigE, and maybe WiFi connectivity.
I don't need HDMI. So it's a matter of getting networking set up properly.

I intend to keep the botic driver in tact. I don't see the uEnv.txt in /boot/boot/ but in /boot, but since I don't intend on changing anything then I'm sure I can leave that alone.

Without networking, I assume the only way to get firmware-ralink is via USB. I'll see if i can download the package on my Mac then move it over from there.

Thanks!

@Michelangelo
As twluke found out, version mpd 0.19.20 is superior to all other versions without rt-patch he tested.
Ah.., no. It's not a 0.19 version but a 0.20 version: further newer than 0.19.20.
@twluke
Do you use any "special" version of alsa? Which version do you use? (The version Debian stretch delivers?)
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. There is nothing special for alsa libraries necessary for building mpd.

New mpd compiled and up...
However can't get DSD out of my USB DAC (XMOS2 receiver and direct dsd enabled).
Did you set something specific in mpd.conf ?
Hi mikelangeloz,

My MPD configuration is basically adjusted to the I2S connection to the Buffalo 3 and 3SE DACs via either Botic/Hermes-BBB/Cronus or via the USB-I2S connection using Amanero Combo384. Though I'm not using XMOS2, the failure in DSD play after enabling direct dsd may suggest that your current setting is not consistent with playing the source with a native DSD mode. If this is the case, you'll need enabling DoP connection.

In that occasion, playing DSD512 will be impossible and up to DSD256 will be maximum in the current linux USB audio. In fact, my Amanero board with USB-I2S connection on Botic system is only playing DSD up to 256fs with the latest Amanero's firmware but no more and the developer is on the way to get higher resolution.

BTW, shown below is my alsa configuration in /etc/mpd.conf:
Code:
audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "Botic"
        device          "hw:0,0"
        dsd_usb         "no"
        dsd_native      "yes"
        dsd_native_type "3"
#       priority        "FIFO:32" #not supported on mod-0.20
        period_time     "1"
        mixer_type      "software"
#       mixer_device    "default"       # optional
#       mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
#       mixer_index     "0"             # optional
}
#
audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "Amanero"
        device          "hw:1,0"
        dsd_usb         "yes"
        dsd_native      "yes"
        dsd_native_type "2"
#       priority        "FIFO:32"
        period_time     "1"
        mixer_type      "software"
#       mixer_device    "default"       # optional
#       mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
#       mixer_index     "0"             # optional
}
The setting above is based on the mpd.conf included in miero's botic system and is probably deriving from lintweaker's DSD with realtime option setting because he was the main developer of DSD support for mpd. After solution of endianness (BE or LE) in native DSD by mpd-0.20, it appears that he has ceased his work in DSD.

Regards,

Please test if it boots properly. Then I'll consider creating an Botic overlay that would fit to all variants Black/Green/Sancloud...

I can confirm that my BBE now boots properly with either dtb.

Based on some probing with dmesg, I had to add these drivers/firmware for the BBE:
rtl8723b_fw.bin
rtl8723bu_nic.bin

I'm still getting the omap-sham, LSB: IPv4 DHCP, and dhcpd.service errors. I get them on the BBB revC as well, so I'm assuming this is normal.

When I switched to the sancloud-bbe.dtb I was able to connect to volumio.local. So DHCP appeared to work. I didn't get to test the same thing with the boneblack-botic.dtb.

When I connected to volumio.local I wasn't able to mount my Synology NAS mount even with proper login:pass and path.

Looks like we're getting somewhere...

So it appears that I can connect to volumio.local when using the BBE .dtb, but not the BBBotic .dtb. What is the difference between the two? I guess I'll wait til miero works his magic and includes the special sauce to get it working.

When I look at /etc/network/interfaces on both my BBB revC and the BBE, they have the same settings. So eth0 should be getting DHCP. However, when I use ifconfig to look at settings Eth0 doesn't contain useful info. I also tried setting a static ip with appropriate settings and that didn't work either.

Thanks!