• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Hello,
I followed your tutorial and tried to play the media which is in the distrib.
It starts to play 4 secs and then stop afterwhile i had a look to the mpd logs where i saw that message.
No error with playdsd64 and playdsd128 but it is stopping after 5-10sec. Do I need to have the DAC plugged in ?

Hi dabrain

I am using 2 TPA OTTO-II to select the required CCHD crystals and to switch between PCM and DSD. The I2S signals are sent to the DAC via a LVDS-HDMI adapter. I have tested the above setup on Buffalo III, Wyred DAC2, DIY TDA1541A and DIY AD1865 with great success.

Hope this helps

201408061729009000.jpg

Last edited:
drone: I'm connecting to BBB via Ethernet.

The USB WiFi dongle (supported types by native kernel drivers only) should work too, but I'm not sure how it would influence audio performance. When WiFi dongle was close to DAC there was real degradation of sound, so some extension cable have to be used.

Also there was some issues USB wireless keyboard and HDMI at the early stage of development using original beaglebone kernel. But this might be fixed now... or not.

Hi,

i read the thread but maybe i did not find it:

is there a way to use this with wireless connection or only for ethernet cable?

thx

I have very good experiences with an external TP-LINK, for example the TL-MR3020. It works fine with a wandboard QUAD, but it should work on the BBB too. You can connect it direct to BBB ethernet port and have all advantages of WLAN (no electrical influences from network). And you can put it far way from your DAC.

It works in different modes and also in WIFI. The smaller one is the TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless Router, recommendation from HiFiFUINO.

I have one of those, works great for $20

You need to set it up in access point mode. After that, you can just plug in an ethernet cable to it, and it will connect the device to your wifi network. The device thinks it talking ethernet.

Randy

The USB WiFi dongle (supported types by native kernel drivers only) should work too, but I'm not sure how it would influence audio performance. When WiFi dongle was close to DAC there was real degradation of sound, so some extension cable have to be used.
This is what I got, to handle that problem somewhat neatly:
2UB3001-W05101 - MULTICOMP 2UB3001-W05101 - CABLE, USB A JACK TO USB A PLUG, 100MM, BLACK | Newark element14 US

If it is the wifi, and USB chatter itself causes no problems (depending on DAC placement, obviously), something like that should do nicely. That one's not going to be mistaken for an Amphenol, but it is made very well for its price. I've also just been using Ethernet, so far, though I would like to end up using wifi, if possible.

Hi,

maybe it was mentioned before but i did not find it.
Are there any plans to see some kind of display. If so would there be any chance to use something different to those small and dark LCD 4x20 displays. my favorite would be a LED matrix display (like two sure 3208 only with smaller 8x8 matrix) .
it should only show "input" (CD; BBB; PC...) sample rate and if used volume.

If the music is processed by the BBB would there be a chance to show the playing title name scrolling by?

thx

branko

Hi,

Are there any plans to see some kind of display. If so would there be any chance to use something different to those small and dark LCD 4x20 displays. my favorite would be a LED matrix display (like two sure 3208 only with smaller 8x8 matrix) .

If the music is processed by the BBB would there be a chance to show the playing title name scrolling by?

thx

branko
Doing any of that shouldn't be related to the cape or its software. The information would need to be gotten from MPD/MPC, ALSA, some web playing interface (screen scrape), or what have you. Then, you'd need to control a display, and they don't all work the same way.

A character display with a library you can use for it will be the easiest, by quite some margin, which is why they are commonly used. Another reason is that you are limited in how quickly you can update the display by serial methods using GPIO through Linux, then there is some added slowness if using common languages, like BASH or Python, for it. A character display can be updated completely in just a bit more than its character size in bytes, while a bitmap display needs each pixel over the same interface. For 8x5 characters, that's 8 bits to 40 bits, just for very basic data.

I want to have a monochrome bitmap display, and expect it to take a lot of my free time to implement.

Hi,

thx

branko

I believe it's a better way to use an additional microcontroller to drive a display. For DDDAC1794 with WaveIO I developed a small board using a PIC and some of Adafruits OLEDs.
My plan for BBB ist to use the same board with different PIC software using I2C to get all informations (sample rate, play status) from BBB.

@Miero: Do you see a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 426