• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Native DSD support in Linux requires different approach than DoP, so I've assumed that it might not work. Please try it using "boticized" distro and report...

Ah, you prompted me to revisit the HQPlayer website again and I think I see what you mean now, it is using DoP mechanisms. I read into the words 'Native... DSF' what I wanted/expected to read.

Still, I've got HQPlayer installed and ready to evaluate now so I'll give the NAA install a try once I'm happy/familiar with the basic setup.

Native DSD support in Linux requires different approach than DoP, so I've assumed that it might not work. Please try it using "boticized" distro and report...
Yes, native DSD support requires explicit support by the ALSA audio driver. I have added native DSD support for a few USB DAC's.
The list with supported devices is currently not that long but it grows steadily.
It would be nice if vendors added support themselves, it is not that hard :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Still, I've got HQPlayer installed and ready to evaluate now...

I will be interested in your impressions/results with HQPlayer NAA. In particular, the overall ease of library management and access in addition to sound comparisons. The feature that caught my eye as unique is the FFT convolution and other pre-transmit tweaks that can be done by the server. Cheers!

Lintweaker / Miero / Nautibuoy,

What about Native DSD via the I2S interface? Is that currently functioning, if not is it an easy enable, or does it require some development?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Sorry if this is a dumb question and has been covered already!
Yes, this is something Miero's botic driver has been providing for a while now :).

After having collected all the needed stuff I want to get started with BBB/Botic/Hermes/Cronus/B3.

Currently I am using a PC with Daphile (Squeezelite) connected by USB to WaveIO/B3.
My music collection is on a local 2TB HD inside the Daphile PC.
I consider buying a Synology NAS that, besides providing storage and data backup, can act as a Squeezebox server. But it’s also possible to use the BBB as a Squeezebox server. What are the pro’s and cons to consider? Any recommendations?

Peter

Joined 2007
Paid Member
But it’s also possible to use the BBB as a Squeezebox server. What are the pro’s and cons to consider? Any recommendations?

Peter

I think you need to consider if you want to use one BBB for everything or one as a player and a second one as a server. In either case, I don't recall reading here that it was accomplished so you probably have to look elsewhere. For example: BeagleBone: Making a Home Media Server | Everett's Projects

Hi,
I’m considering ‘closing’ BBB/Hermes/Cronus and DAC in the one aluminum case.
I would like to mount and use 3 LED’s on the front panel of the case (as user interface;))and connect them to dedicated BBB/Hermes LEDs header.

It would be great if the LED’s could behave for example as follows:

• 1st LED: Indicate the power; behave just like on-board BBB blue LED; switched on/off in the same time as blue BBB LED,
  • 2nd LED: Indicte playing music with HI clock (eg 24.xx or 49.xx or 98.xx MHz). When playing blinking (heartbeat), When pausing LED solid. Without playing/pausing LED switched off,
  • 3rd LED: Indicte playing music with LO clock (eg 22.xx or 45.xx or 90.xx MHz). When playing blinking (heartbeat), When pausing LED solid. Without playing/pausing LED switched off
Is it possible to write a piece of code to drive these external LEDs?
If so maybe someone experienced/talented could give an example.
I'm sure it would be helpful for many users.
Regards,
B

I would like to mount and use 3 LED’s on the front panel of the case
and connect them to dedicated BBB/Hermes LEDs header.
  • 1st LED: Indicate the power; behave just like on-board BBB blue LED; switched on/off in the same time as blue BBB LED
I mentioned that idea back in post #1209 and #1219 - and a solution is difficult to achieve, because the power LED on the BBB is connected to the onboard power controller chip (TPS65217C) and is thus upstream of the CPU and operating system.
That's not to say it's impossible, and I imagine you could write a daemon script to query the status of the power controller chip (using the "i2cget" utility) and activate a GPIO pin accordingly. But someone with relevant expertise needs to jump in on this.

I mentioned that idea back in post #1209 and #1219 - and a solution is difficult to achieve, because the power LED on the BBB is connected to the onboard power controller chip (TPS65217C) and is thus upstream of the CPU and operating system.
That's not to say it's impossible, and I imagine you could write a daemon script to query the status of the power controller chip (using the "i2cget" utility) and activate a GPIO pin accordingly. But someone with relevant expertise needs to jump in on this.

Yes, It looks like it is not easy task to replicate onboard BBB Power LED to Hermes board LED pins. In the case of power LED I'm considering two temporary solution:
Connect external LED directly to BBB Power LED or accept inaction of Hermes LED when BBB is still supply from battery.

BTW the BBB's Power Section (and Power LED) is described from page 36 in THIS document.

I still have no idea how to activate LEDs wchich shows plaing or not playing music with two clocks...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
For the information I wanted to get from my BBB player, I was planning to have a nice OLED display plus indicator LEDs. But then I realized that most of the information I would want plus much more is available from an SSH command line without all the display hardware and interface work. Using the app WebSSH in iOS on the system control tablet, I can save a list of SSH commands and execute them with a simple touch. No need to type nor remember all the syntax, directories, etc. each time! To report the output sample rate: cat /proc/asound/Botic/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
I will use basic LED indicators and power/reset buttons on the appliance front panel, but nothing fancy because this 'touch' solution for SSH display/control is much less work. :)