Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 21st March 2018, 07:29 AM   #2451
cu6apum is offline cu6apum  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealas View Post
Roon talks to ALSA, not the driver directly. Look at GitHub - therealmuffin/synchronator: Synchronator brings bit perfect volume control to Hi-Fi systems with Linux as source. and the Roon configuration section. You can do something similar or just use the synchronator to sync the alsa volume.
I use it to control my preamp.
Excellent, thank you! That's gonna be the solution.
Old 28th March 2018, 12:01 AM   #2452
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey guys found this link via the Volumio forums. It provides the ability to build the latest Volumio for BBB with Botic and a few other things included. I'm on a Mac and not sure how to build it. I've tried using Homebrew to download a bunch of the dependencies, but have come up short. Maybe Fink will work. Anyone want to walk me thru the process if you've done it on a Mac? Or am I better off using a VM of Ubuntu to build it?

Here's a link...

GitHub - Tigor888/Volumio_BBB: Volumio on BeagleBoneBlack. This make work Image !!!
Old 28th March 2018, 05:17 PM   #2453
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull3t View Post
... Anyone want to walk me thru the process if you've done it on a Mac? Or am I better off using a VM of Ubuntu to build it?

Here's a link...

GitHub - Tigor888/Volumio_BBB: Volumio on BeagleBoneBlack. This make work Image !!!
I donít recall that cross-compiling the kernel has ever been discussed here. Perhaps best to contact Michaelangelo directly either via the Volumio or GitHub sites. Perhaps the code youíre after already exists as a BBB image.
Old 28th March 2018, 08:28 PM   #2454
diyAudio Member

I ended up figuring it out with a Ubuntu VM...

The process was to:
"apt-get install" all the dependencies first
Then sudo ./build.sh the build folder with the switches.

The only thing I'm not sure about is which architecture is used for the BBB. My gut tells me armv7. I'll "bake my Pi" - beagle rather, and see if it works.
Old 31st March 2018, 01:10 PM   #2455
diyAudio Member

Ok... so these are my findings...

I needed to use Debian Jessie as my host system when building my image. When I used Debian Stretch or the Ubuntu 16.04.4 none of my builds would work. Just figured I'd offer this information to those who might not be well versed in all things Linux. Maybe someone who understands this stuff better could explain why using one version of Linux vs. another would make a build work or not. My guess is the host system has to have specific versions of software to make the build work and an updated or new OS is going to have newer versions that might not be compatible.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:08 PM   #2456
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Does the home built Volumio work as expected?

Oh, I see it now. Volumio has stopped to support BBB. Image is not available for download anymore :-/

Last edited by miero; 1st April 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:02 AM   #2457
diyAudio Member

@miero nope they only offer it as a build it yourself.

I got the image to work after only using Debian Jessie VM. Stretch and Ubuntu don't build it correctly.

The only weird thing that I found when building the image was that the ssh service wasn't starting on boot. I had to use the serial interface to login and enable the ssh service.

sudo systemctl enable ssh.service

On a side note:
I never ended up using the BBE because I'm not sure how to make a special dtb - specifically for the BBE and the botic driver in mind.
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:21 PM   #2458
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks for the info! :-)
Old 26th April 2018, 04:46 PM   #2459
fred_com is offline fred_com  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Mull3t, thank you for the info.
I was able to build run the Volumio image successfully following your instructions.

I didn't have the problem with ssh, other than that it had root login disabled, so I logged in under volumio user.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:27 AM   #2460
mikelangeloz is offline mikelangeloz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Miero and everyone,
yes unfortunately we had to make the choice to drop "official" support of some platform to best focus the effort of the core Volumio team to the main platforms (x86 and pi), also because we were always postponing releases of BBB images leaving them quite behind.

So, we set up a community porting version, in order to improve such situation by leveraging community support for those platform (our build system allows everyone to build a volumio image for any platform supported, and to be easily expanded to support new ones).

Hope this will bring the deserved attention to BBB, you can see the forum announcement here:
Volumio Community Support : Community portings

Of course, if there's any help needed just feel free to ask me!

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!