Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 25th October 2017, 01:06 AM   #2401
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhgm View Post
How does the switching work in practice?

I really look for a seamless solution to combine the use of mpd and spotify. Any other experiences with this?
I created a networked remote control for the BBB using software called NetIO. It gives the flexibility do do anything that can be programmed into a bash or python script, and activate it from an android or iOS device. Using this, I can switch inputs from a music server, a TV, or a network box like AppleTV, and choose the output to amps/speakers or headphones. I have different player programs customized for each source, and even auto switch the system crossover and minor EQ filters for the program source. Example code is available on GitHub, and a short descriptive thread is available here: Control of BBB-based audio appliances

If python isnít too opaque to you, it wouldnít be too tough to adapt already-working code.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:09 AM   #2402
mt490 is offline mt490
diyAudio Member

With the Volumio BBB image that I am playing around with, it would appear the suspend (to memory) is not supported. To add support does it entail modifying the kernel? It appears to not accept the 'echo mem > /sys/power/state' command so I think this is the case.
Old 25th November 2017, 05:18 PM   #2403
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of trouble with the Volumio-BBB-Hermes-Cronus-ES9038PRO set.
Let me start with the SSD disc related problems.

I have a Samsung Evo 840 1TB SSD with SATA2/SATA3 inteface. It can be connected thru the only USB 2.0 port of the BBB, using a SATA2->USB 2.0 cable.

1. First the BBB doesn't detect the SSD in most cases. The best practice is to disconnect the USB cable, start the BBB, and start to play a radio station. Stop playing, and push the USB connector of the SATA2->USB cable to the BBB. If BBB detects the SSD, I see:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 2048 1953521663 1953519616 931.5G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

in the simulator, and I can also see a new library called Music Library/USB/bc0184d4-2b63-45dd-b58d-f0af268f649a in the Volumio client. The SSD is scanned, and I see the appropriate music file names in the above folder. I can play these files without waiting for parsing all the files on the SDD. Thats fine.

But the parsing process become slower soon, and after parsing a relatively small fraction of the whole disk, it even stops. I can't reach all of my files, and every new
BBB boot restarts the previously unfinished and time consuming SSD parsing.

I also tried to use Kingstone Data Traveler HiperX 3.0 64GB flash drive, there is no such problem. It seems Volumio/BBB can't handle larger music library.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:07 AM   #2404
amacrine is offline amacrine  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a similar Samsung SSD drive with a BBB and Volumio, and It is working very well, I suspect you have either incorrect permissions or a format that the BBB or Volumio cannot access
Old 30th November 2017, 12:58 AM   #2405
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Google indicates that USB to SATA adapters can be problematic under Linux.
You might try a different brand of USB to SATA adapter?

But personally I would go a step further and install your Samsung SSD drive into a NAS unit. The additional expense of a NAS box is minor compared to the already significant investment of your high end equipment. Then you will be using the Boticised BBB in the manner it was intended, and you will have the added benefit of access to the drive from multiple computers, without plugging and unplugging it all the time.

Alternatively, check your router to see if it has provision to connect an external hard drive. If so, you have a NAS without any additional expense at all.
Old 25th December 2017, 03:47 PM   #2406
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Hi, I just setup a BBB rev C with the 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 kernel and it seems like every time I play music the I2C bus locks up.
I can connect just fine after restarting the BBB to a 9038 DAC I2C interface but as soon as I play any music I can no longer connect. I get a "Error: Read failed" message to any i2cget commands and I see this in dmesg:

Code:
[  224.999112] omap_i2c 4802a000.i2c: controller timed out
[  530.733417] omap_i2c 4802a000.i2c: timeout waiting for bus ready
The only way to fix it is to restart the BBB. Nothing else works.

I'm using the am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb overlay.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Old 26th December 2017, 02:23 PM   #2407
diyAudio Member

I believe the I2C address of the new chips has changed. For example, the 9028 can be set to either 0x90 or 0x92. I recall that the 9018 was different, though Iím away from my system with no way to check. Run an I2C bus scan on the new setup and then you will know which of the two should work. Then, a bit of work to edit the control code... Good luck!
Old 26th December 2017, 03:41 PM   #2408
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

The chip address is the same as before 0x48 or 0x49 (I have the DIYINHK dac that uses the secondary 0x49 address). I can communicate with the chip just fine after starting the BBB. I can read and change any register. The problem is that as soon as I play any music via the botic sound device the i2c controller gets hosed and cannot be used to communicate with any i2c device, not just the DAC.
Old 26th December 2017, 04:13 PM   #2409
diyAudio Member

The ESS data sheet says 0x90 or 0x92. Can’t vouch for what DIYHK might have done and have no way to help... Hang in there!
Old 26th December 2017, 05:06 PM   #2410
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

You're right, the datasheet shows 0x90 and 0x92 but an i2c scan shows 49 and another member on here that updated his buffalo III dac with the 9038PRO chip uses 0x48 in his firmware. I guess they changed the address at some point and we just have chips from the earlier batches.

However, the chip address is not the problem, I can connect to it from the BBB without any issues as long as I never play any music.
Playing music via the BBB causes the BBB's i2c controller to stop working, not the DACs. Resetting the DAC does not fix the problem, restarting the BBB does (without restarting the DAC).

I am using external 45 and 59 MHz clocks for the BBB, is it possible this is somehow messing up the i2c bus clock?

Thanks for your help!

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!