• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Is this the official uEnv.txt of Botic 7 ? There are tons of other, non-botic related entries in there....

platform-bbb/uEnv.txt at master * volumio/platform-bbb * GitHub

As this comes from Miero, I giess this entry is meant for Hermes/chronus:

snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MDR-

Can anyone using BbB and Hermes confirm that ?

From Miero's page:

"Emulation of mute pin on some of 1-4 data pins:
- kernel option snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pin
- file /sys/module/snd_soc_davinci_mcasp/parameters/mute_pin
which can be updated while system is running, but change
will be applied on the next start of playback

Supported values for mute_pin:
-1 ... mute pin functionality is disabled
or these additive numbers:
+ 1 ... signal mute on pin 0
+ 2 ... signal mute on pin 1
+ 4 ... signal mute on pin 2
+ 8 ... signal mute on pin 3
+ 16777216 ... invert the mute signal

For example (stereo playback of I2S/DSD on TPA Hermes-BBB):
$ echo 12 > /sys/module/snd_soc_davinci_mcasp/parameters/mute_pin
$ echo MD-- > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig
Two pins are needed, because Hermes-BBB switches pins 2 and 3 when I2S/DSD mode
is switched. After playback start/stop there should appear a mute pin on D5
output pin of Cronus."

I am not sure what to put where as I am not a Linux expert...please help. Where need the $Echo commands get intoand how are they related to uEnv.txt.

Last edited:
ChrisMmm, with new driver you need to use different data pin (P9_30), or set kernel option snd_soc_davinci.sermask=4 ... or 12 if you want 2ch DSD too.

twluke, lrck position is fixed on BBB. The Botic cape will remap/route pins to correct positions. That's why there is I2S/DSD format switch pin.

Have I missed something ? Where has this parameter been documented ?

GitHub - miero/linux-dev at botic7-v48
This is just a set of scripts to rebuild a known working kernel for ARM devices.
The repo could be used for building new VOLUMIO img.

Build Kernel Image:

./build_kernel.sh
Optional: Build Debian Package:

./build_deb.sh

Igor Tibabshev repos for Beaglebone black Volumio build.
GitHub - Tigor888/Volumio_BBB: Volumio on BeagleBoneBlack. This make work Image !!!

Other repos for BBB

RobertCNelson (Robert Nelson) * GitHub
import: justboom overlays * beagleboard/bb.org-overlays@3f915e3 * GitHub
am335x_evm: add justboom overlays * RobertCNelson/Bootloader-Builder@8363d7f * GitHub
https://github.com/miero/botic-dev/blob/master-v48/arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-boneblack-botic.dts

Here are driver patch files for all three boards:
https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues/1343

Adding Compatibility to your DAC
https://volumio.github.io/docs/I2S_DACs/Adding_Compatibility_to_your_DAC.html

Last edited:
PPY, do you have an advise for me how to separate the debugging process from botic issues vs. mpd config issues ?

does soundcheck, play and aplay work in your distro or have you kicked that all out ?

I might have a working botic and do not know it as I only see in mconnect lite the playbar does not move...but other sources of mis-configuration could be the cause....

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has someone successfully integrated a surround sound setup?

I have the Debian botic Linux Running Roon in a Stereo configuration.
What I want is to connect a ac-3 Dolby signal over Toslink via DIR9001 to the BBb which then decodes in ffmpeg to give out 6 or 8 channels (5.1/7.1) pcm data to 4 soekris dam via i2s.

Is that even possible?

Yes, very possible. If your DIR9001 interface includes 'surround' formats, it might be almost trivial. I suggest investigating the capabilities of VLC (which can run on the BBB), and there is plenty of information online concerning AC-3 configuration, etc. If you want to try, then you should confirm that you have an ALSA output available that will manage the multiple channels. Use 'arecord -l' and 'aplay -l' to select the DIR9001 input and VLC outputs to ALSA. If VLC needs a custom ALSA output plug, that's not very hard to write...

Good luck.

PPY, do you have an advise for me how to separate the debugging process from botic issues vs. mpd config issues ?
does soundcheck, play and aplay work in your distro or have you kicked that all out ?
I might have a working botic and do not know it as I only see in mconnect lite the playbar does not move...but other sources of mis-configuration could be the cause....
Aplay did not install this firmware. Today I will add. You can control the operation of the alsa:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/Botic/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This question is to any smartphone method.

There are numerous approaches to activating scripts on the BBB, but this isn’t the best place to discuss them. Perhaps this thread would be better. But more generally, there are numerous smartphone apps that act as terminal emulators. Because few phones offer a decent keyboard experience, they make good use of recorded macros. You could login to the BBB via SSH with one touch, and execute ‘shutdown now’ (or more elaborate scripts) with a second touch. I have confirmed this using the app called ‘Prompt’ for iOS.

Last edited:
There are numerous approaches to activating scripts on the BBB, but this isn’t the best place to discuss them. Perhaps this thread would be better. But more generally, there are numerous smartphone apps that act as terminal emulators. Because few phones offer a decent keyboard experience, they make good use of recorded macros. You could login to the BBB via SSH with one touch, and execute ‘shutdown now’ (or more elaborate scripts) with a second touch. I have confirmed this using the app called ‘Prompt’ for iOS.

You right! Thank you for the link!

image and player

Need help to update my bbb image and player. I am using bbb-hermes-cronus-dddac.
The player is Volumio, but as i understand it, no new updates will come for volumio-bbb-botic.
My files are on a pc running Daphile.
The help i need is, a link to a image to use for my bbb, and surgestions to a great sounding player for my system.
Thanks Bastian

New volumio IMG for Beaglebone Black

Need help to update my bbb image and player. I am using bbb-hermes-cronus-dddac.
The player is Volumio, but as i understand it, no new updates will come for volumio-bbb-botic.
My files are on a pc running Daphile.
The help i need is, a link to a image to use for my bbb, and surgestions to a great sounding player for my system.
Thanks Bastian

See the link for Buildscripts for Volumio System: GitHub - Tigor888/Volumio_BBB: Volumio on BeagleBoneBlack. This make work Image !!!

If you have necessary knowledge you can compile the volumio IMG by yourself !

Since I have a new iPad I can not use Mpad anymore and want to use Rigelian instead.
Rigelian forced me to update to a and newer MPD (and newer linux OS because of that)

I installed the latest @twluke image "debian_botic_revised" but ran into a problem:

root@arm:/home/debian# mpc play
mpd error: Connection reset by peer

root@arm:/home/debian# systemctl status mpd.service
● mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enab
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-09 08:05:21 GMT; 17s ago
Docs: man:mpd(1)
man:mpd.conf(5)
file:///usr/share/doc/mpd/user-manual.html
Process: 1199 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF (code=exited, status
Main PID: 1199 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm mpd[1199]: exception: failed to open log file "/var/log/mpd/
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, s
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: Failed to start Music Player Daemon.
lines 1-17/17 (END)...skipping...
● mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-09 08:05:21 GMT; 17s ago
Docs: man:mpd(1)
man:mpd.conf(5)
file:///usr/share/doc/mpd/user-manual.html
Process: 1199 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1199 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm mpd[1199]: exception: failed to open log file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log" (config line 38): Read-only file system
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: mpd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 09 08:05:21 arm systemd[1]: Failed to start Music Player Daemon.

What would be my next steps to continue ?

Another question:

From the old Botic i had to mount "/boot/uboot" and edit uEnv.txt" to be able to set the correct optargs parameters.
Is this still neccesary ? ... when I do so the uEnv.txt file is empty but when I do not mount it and edit /boot/uEnv.txt there is a lot in there but no "optargs" line

What are the correct steps to set these parameter ?
In /boot/uEnv.txt I see:
cmdline=coherent_pool=1M net.ifnames=0 quiet
#cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1=45158400 snd_soc_botic.clk_48k=49152000
#cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1=90316800 snd_soc_botic.clk_48k=98304000

Is this related ??

P.S. reading the data above (failed to open log file "/var/log/mpd/) I see the file mpd.log is "unwritable"
If I reboot the BBB I can not start mc (Midnight Commander) and have to "sudo su" first to be able to.
Do I run into some permission problems causing the mpd error too ?

Last edited: