Support for Botic Linux driver - Page 135 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 2nd November 2015, 07:11 AM   #1341
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
If you do not need 352/384 sample rates you can try to update botic first to stable and then to testing. But I expect many non-trivial issues to solve, so I do not recommend this one.
Good morning miero.

I have a reply...

HQPlayer NAA is now based on Stretch; it is preferred because of the 'DSD ready' kernel which makes it easy for people with few Linux skills to get a NAA solution working, just install networkaudiod on top of a Stretch image, which is great if you're using a USB board that is supported by the kernel.

To get a Botic NAA it looks like you have to take the route that you don't recommend. I have your Botic 5 distro running so I'll try upgrading to Jessie as the first step. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I guess you'll update to Jessie/Stretch for your Botic distro at some point?

Any guidance/suggestions?

Ray
Old 4th November 2015, 06:33 AM   #1342
diyAudio Member

Hi miero.

Given the previous news that the fixed release of NAA is available only for Debian Stretch and wont be back-ported to Jessie or Wheezy, I've been thinking about at least trying to use Botic on Stretch - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There would seem to be two possible routes (both of which are likely to be rocky);

1. Install a fresh Debian Stretch ISO image onto a BBB and then try to boticize it.
2. Start with Botic 5 on Debian Wheezy and then incrementally update to Jessie and then Stretch.

You seemed to indicate #2 as your suggested way forward?

Am I the only one interested in trying to get Botic working as a HQPlayer NAA?

Ray
Old 4th November 2015, 06:43 AM   #1343
diyAudio Member

I would like to see/hear that working, but my own setup would also need multichannel output with good crossover filters running in HQPlayer. Thus, for now, my agenda is fixed in order to get up and running using less ambitious customization. Best regards, Frank
Old 4th November 2015, 09:30 AM   #1344
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

nautibuoy, please try the #1 but it should be enough to use just following steps from boticize manual (because you will be using NAA):

Quote:
cat >> /etc/apt/sources.list <<EOT
deb http://repo.ieero.com/ wheezy main
EOT

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5

cp -f /boot/vmlinuz-4.0.0-botic5 /boot/zImage
cp -f /boot/dtbs/4.0.0-botic5/am335x-boneblack.dtb /boot/dtbs/am335x-boneblack.dtb
good luck!

Last edited by miero; 4th November 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 4th November 2015, 12:18 PM   #1345
diyAudio Member

Thanks miero, I'll give it a try as you suggest and report back in due course.

Ray
Old 4th November 2015, 12:31 PM   #1346
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalogridis View Post
Or according to the maker of the DAC for the I2S interface to satisfy the following:

* If bitclk active, provide word clock and output zeroes on data line if no data otherwise.
* If bitclk inactive, still keep data line at zero.
Hi miero,

Any chance that you had looked at this?
Old 4th November 2015, 09:46 PM   #1347
Brumjam is offline Brumjam  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Miero, I'm trying to use your botic kernel with Volumio 1.5 on my BBB. I have followed all your steps in the 'How To' guide and get to reboot command without experiencing any errors. However when I do the reboot the BBB doesn't boot up. When power is applied I get two solid blue LED's and that's it.

I'm not changing anything in the uEnv.txt file prior to doing the reboot - do I need to change anything at this point?

What I'm trying to do is get I2S output working into my DDDAC 1794. I already have your driver working with a cronus board and Squeezlite, but wanted to give Volumio a try on a different BBB without using a re-clocking board.
Old 5th November 2015, 08:03 AM   #1348
diyAudio Member

Stage 1 accomplished. I've installed a clean debian stretch image on my BBB and have networkaudio installed and running. I can see the device as a NAA in HQPlayer and have sent PCM data to it. It seems to be working correctly but I will run what I've done past Jussi at Signalyst to check a couple of things.

I've kept a log of what I've done and if it all works out I'll publish a summary here.

Next up - try and Boticize it.

Later

Ray
Old 5th November 2015, 11:25 AM   #1349
diyAudio Member

I seem to have had some success with boticizing the Debian Stretch build but I'm not home and dry yet. I can see the Botic NAA in HQPlayer and it appears to be functioning in that I can see the ALSA options available etc. but I have encountered a NAA error. Have passed all the relevant information to Jussi, hoping he can assist. I'll await his response before going further.

Ray
Old 7th November 2015, 11:19 AM   #1350
diyAudio Member

Hello miero.

I've moved forward a little. Following Jussi's advice I've done a reinstall and appear to now have the BBB stable as a HQPlayer NAA in that it no longer crashes and is visible to HQPlayer, however, Its not working properly yet and, to my inexperienced eye, it looks as though I'm encountering the Botic compatibility issues you predicted? Some advice would be very much appreciated.

First things first though, I've attached a PDF document, which is a copy of the steps I have taken to get to the current BBB build.

So now, as I say, I can run NAA and haven't managed to crash it. Also attached is an extract from the networkaudiod screen output and it appears to be saying that there are problems with the initialising of ALSA for playback. The obvious error is about 'snd_pcm_format_physical_width' (which sounds like a botic type thing?) but it also looks as though no DSD capability is present? Hopefully you'll be able to give some insight as to what is happening.

Many thanks

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAA_ALSA_1.jpg (74.7 KB, 181 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BBB NAA - how to.pdf (329.6 KB, 36 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!