• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Now, is there any audio-related config that you wish me to include on the UI?

Hi Mikelangelo,
this has not directly something to do with audio and the UI, but as the UI says "DSD over PCM" I tested DSD with the box checked and unchecked and there I got problems.

In this thread twluke tried out a patched matured 0.18 version and the latest 0.19.19 (both with DSD and RT patches), and he said both worked well (but the 0.19.19 played DSD material with half the speed, which is perhaps "just" a problem with some configuration file, somewhere.
I don't know if my MPD client (GMPC) was cheating on me, but it corresponds with version 0.19. If this is true, could you make one version with the latest mpd and patch it with both real-time and DSD patches, as the BBB in combination with hermes/cronus is capable of doing DSD directly, without passing the PCM-stuff in the DAC chip?

By the way, your UI is really great stuff! I always wanted to have some eye-candy (without having to use windows, I like to be free), but there are either tools that just work great technically or look a bit antique, but yours look gorgeous and even better -- you just need a browser! Great, it ticks all boxes, superb!
And also the configuration with my NAS: I thought while reading the short how-to on your webpage: This isn't gonna workin'! But then: It just works! So, the UI isn't just looking great, there is also a lot behind the scenes, lot's of thought and work!

I really don't know if this belongs into your UI, because this is the only thing I had to change a few things concerning the /boot/uEnv.txt, and so it is a design choice.
At first this parameter 'dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic-sabre32.dtb' to be able to change the volume in the DAC by using your UI.
Then a few things related to by DAC configuration, like listed in the end of Miero's page here: http://bbb.ieero.com/, starting with "HW and driver configuration".
I had to change the "Channel configuration" and "External masterclock frequencies".

If you have any question are the need to test a feature/bug :D, I'll do!

Regards,
Matthias

Last edited:
Miero,
I have a question relating to snd_soc_botic.serconfig
What is the right configuration for the 8 channel Buffalo3, but only run in stereo mode? I want all 8 channels to be used in the DAC chip, but be added to just 2 stereo channels. (Ah, for PCM and DSD listening.)

And also (but now so important):
What is the technically best place to set the divider for the clock ('Force BCLK/LRCLK ratio'), in the software, or with setting the hardware jumper?

Thank you very much, again!
Matthias

(not tested, just what I remember)

Change default input remapping recommended in the B3 manual to one of following.

-------

There is a "smart wiring" for B3 that wires it as B3SE:
- https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/buffalo-iii-smart-stereo-input-configuration/

In this configuration following settings can be used if controlling Sabre via ALSA:
- (ALSA mixer) Remap Inputs: 12124545
- (ALSA mixer) Remap Outputs: q6true

Or appropriate setting using B3 firmware.

----

With B3 wired to 8 channel mode (no jumpers).

This requires above settings of input remapping for smart wiring + additional stereo to quad channel signal routing in the Botic.

Couple of posts before this one Bern has posted botic-split configuration for .asoundrc, that will do do job.

I'm about to embark in the process of building two different All-In-One appliances using the BBB and SanCloud BBB Enhanced both with Acko's BBB to i2s boards and then going to his S03 re-clocker then to a DAC, etc.

I would like to use Volumio as my network renderer. I originally tried 1.5 from the Volumio website, and got it to work on the original BBB, but not on the newer SanCloud BBB Enhanced. I then found the v2.036 a few pages back. This version still works on the older BBB as expected, but still won't work on the BBB Enhanced.

What is the best way of getting this to work? I'm thinking it might be driver related to the GigE on the BBB Enhanced. I suppose I could hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to troubleshoot.

@murdoc thanks for the kind words and your feedbacks!
I am willing to add what you aks, could you just detail
- The naming of options you want to add, and what they are supposed to do
- The files they need to edit

And we'll get there

Also, I will recompile mpd with DSD and RT patch. Do you have a link to sources for the RT patch?

Actually, I was waiting for mpd 0.20 for DSD, since I get flaky results with patching mpd and alsa, but I will try again, maybe with your help

mikelangeloz: I updated the botic kernel updated & created a pull request again. Please rebuild the image. Thanks.

I've successfully installed Spotify plugin a played some music :)

Dear Miero,
Thank for new Volumio 2 kernel release
But I think it's based on botic r7 so it's didn't support USB stick.:eek:
Do you know how to fix it or give me some advice so I can help you on this.
The seconds is can I using share folder in windows for BBB to access file ?

Hi,
I am considering trying new Volumio 2.
Earlier, however, I would like to ask whether Volumio support user defined PCM devices.
I use 'botic-split' PCM device defined in asound.conf file:
Code:
pcm.botic-split {

type route;
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
    slave.channels 4;
    ttable.1.0 1;
    ttable.0.1 1;
    ttable.1.2 1;
    ttable.0.3 1;

}

ctl.botic-split {

type hw;
    card 0;

}
and currently I can select it as output device for my squeezelite player.
Will I be able to select 'botic-split' as default device in Volumio2?
TIA
@mikelangeloz
Could you please answer whether it could be possible for Volumio2 to select output device from PCM list:
Code:
aplay -L
thanks