• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Opus output filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have Opus DAC for with output filter based on simple schematic shown in attachment. The circuit was drawn in LTSpice, so it features LT1028, but in reality the Opamp is currently NE5534 - will be replaced with LME49710 or OPA134.

I was expecting that this setup will sound equal or better than old TDA1541, but it doesn't. It sounds a bit shallow and bright.

As improvement, I am considering some of the following:

1. Remove the 22uF capacitors on DAC output - this should be safe thing to do; even if + and - outputs from Wolfson do not have 100% same DC level, it shouldn't damage the filter; correct?

2. Increase the supply voltage from +/- 11V to +/- 15V and put Class A PS instead of Low Current Bipolar Supply; does this make any sense?

3. Remove the 4.7uF MKT from the output of the filter - again, even if there is an error on the Wolfson output, given the unity gain of the filter, there shouldn't be danger for the amplifier, right?

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Boris

Attachments

• Opus filter MK1.PNG
    Opus filter MK1.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 274
really?

Have you tried the IVY-III? It sounds excellent with the Opus.

hmmm, really? A little looking around here and on the TP support site suggest that the sound of the Opus & Ivy combo might fall short of excellent. The following almost kept me from building the IVY III even though I had the kit in the closet.

I currently own a Opus DAC from TPA and use it with the IVY III line stage but I don't really like the IVY III...

There are resistor changes in the Ivy manual for Opus because the BOM is for Buffalo but, oddly, no change for the four 15nf caps. I have 3.3nf replacements on order but have not yet tried them. It is my theory that the low-pass filter that results from 15nf affects the upper audible range negatively.

My theerory likely is not the issue since the filter resistors between ESS and Wolfson are unchanged. I am using the WM8740 and did not populate or power the ballsie except that the IC had been soldered in place. To compensate I have temporarily replaced my HD600s with a pair of rewired MDR-V6s that IMHO are normally short of bass response until the 3.3nf caps arrive.

I believe this is a popular pcb, built and enjoyed by many. I feel confident that with smaller filter caps it will work well for me too. When I remove it from between the Opus and opc's BAL-BAL the HD600s sound great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.