• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

How to link several BuffaloIII volume control ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there everyone,

So, I need your help with something that seems was not discussed before here as it's bit of a particular case to say the least.

I'm setting up a surround system in which each monitor (2 way SEOS12 + AE TD12M) has it's own stereo Buffalo III (se), each driver powered by an NCore amplifier. Loudspeaker crossovers will be managed by a dedicated computer with RME AES I/O cards (one AES pair per monitor) running IR's done with RePhase (so XO's + amplitude and phase correction).

I will offset each driver level and delay inside the host but I want to take the advantage and convenience of the high quality digital volume control built-in the ESS9018 DAC. If I recall correctly it's done over 32bit, the DSP being 48bit.

Now what I want to do as said in the title of this thread is to control volume on several Buffalo III at the same time.

To look at it another way, what I must do is control simultaneously and remotely several motorized pots, as volume control on the Buffalo DAC is done via a potmeter. (ADC connector)

What I've think about so far is controlling the motorized potentiometers by programming an Arduino microcontroller and buffer the output to the "x" number of pots I need to control. I don't think I need one microcontroller per motorpot, do I ? I also want to be able to program some reference listening levels so a microcontroller seems to be the only way to go.

Other thoughts : in place of a motorized potmeter which may be imprecise (but again, I will offset each driver level on the host computer) or has tracking inconsictancies over time, what do you think of using instead a resistor network like the Joshua Tree ? Such device has 128 steps (can it work with 0.5dB steps ?), can be remote controllable and has a mute function.

Not as easy as wiring a motor pot but what I want to do is far from easy !

I would really appreciate any help or ideas on that particular matter !

Cheers,
Stephane.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.