• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo not working via I2S, spdif works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am having some trouble with my build. This is what I am building:

- Dual mono buffalo 3 + legato's + ventus for SE output
- Single WaveIO connected to 2x teleporter
- Each teleporter connects to a receiving teleporter which connects to a buffalo.

One halve of the mono setup works great, and both teleporters at the waveIO end are transmitting fine. I have it running at 32/384 and sounds great.
The other halve does not work however, instead it produces nasty digital noise.

This is what I have tried, to no avail:
- Lowering the sample rate of the waveIO to 44.1
- Various DIP switch settings, the default settings do not work not even at the lowest sample rate. If I turn on 'oversampling filter and reclocking' there is no sound at all, not even noise. The input selection switches SW2:1 and SW2:2 have no influence at all.
- Replaced every item, AVCC / tridents / receiving teleporter / firmware / legato, from the working buffalo (except the tridents, I used the older version of those)
- Check and resolder every connection

The board does work with spdif instead of I2S. I2S leads are very short and of same length ~3 cm.

So I have narrowed it down to the DAC board itself. Any ideas? I had already given up hope and have ordered a new board + the new version firmware for all boards, but figured one of you might have an idea how to fix it so I can use for a future project.

Hope you can help :)

Note: I had to bypass 'oversampling filter and reclocking' for it to work at 300+ kHz sample rate. Is this normal behavior? Else I am hearing the same noise as with the other buffalo.

BTW I think this build is unique in a way; I am trying to eliminate as much speaker cable as possible, so I have placed my mono buffalo's near to my mono blocks, close to the speakers. The waveIO+teleporters acts as a central module and the lan cable replaces the need for long speaker cable / interlink cable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.