Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th February 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
kachel is offline kachel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Buffalo not working via I2S, spdif works

Hi, I am having some trouble with my build. This is what I am building:

- Dual mono buffalo 3 + legato's + ventus for SE output
- Single WaveIO connected to 2x teleporter
- Each teleporter connects to a receiving teleporter which connects to a buffalo.

One halve of the mono setup works great, and both teleporters at the waveIO end are transmitting fine. I have it running at 32/384 and sounds great.
The other halve does not work however, instead it produces nasty digital noise.

This is what I have tried, to no avail:
- Lowering the sample rate of the waveIO to 44.1
- Various DIP switch settings, the default settings do not work not even at the lowest sample rate. If I turn on 'oversampling filter and reclocking' there is no sound at all, not even noise. The input selection switches SW2:1 and SW2:2 have no influence at all.
- Replaced every item, AVCC / tridents / receiving teleporter / firmware / legato, from the working buffalo (except the tridents, I used the older version of those)
- Check and resolder every connection

The board does work with spdif instead of I2S. I2S leads are very short and of same length ~3 cm.

So I have narrowed it down to the DAC board itself. Any ideas? I had already given up hope and have ordered a new board + the new version firmware for all boards, but figured one of you might have an idea how to fix it so I can use for a future project.

Hope you can help

Note: I had to bypass 'oversampling filter and reclocking' for it to work at 300+ kHz sample rate. Is this normal behavior? Else I am hearing the same noise as with the other buffalo.

BTW I think this build is unique in a way; I am trying to eliminate as much speaker cable as possible, so I have placed my mono buffalo's near to my mono blocks, close to the speakers. The waveIO+teleporters acts as a central module and the lan cable replaces the need for long speaker cable / interlink cable.
Old 8th February 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Did you try swapping I2S sources? Perhaps signal order wiring is wrong on one Teleporter?

Hard to say why that source requires that oversampling be turned off. Usually comes down to the bit clock.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ, thanks. Both setups are wired exactly the same and all 4 teleporters are working properly. I swapped the teleporters but with the same result, connecting the waveio directly does not work either. Does this sound like a familiar problem?

Maarten
Old 9th February 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Definitely not normal. It could be a damaged input. Any chance you can post pics at the support forum?
Old 13th February 2014, 05:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK I received the new buffalo today and just got myself a 3D printer so it's not that high on my priority list anymore but will do it when I find the time

Hide this!Advertise here!