• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I have the boards, and I am checking them out right now. :)

BTW Brian and I have been looking at the prototype and hit on something which will improve Botic - and lots of other modules :) I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet - but very soon.

I am feeling much less work pressure lately and will be back into the swing of enjoying this great hobby of mine.

Cheers!
Russ

Real hit would be to pack an ES9018K2M on the board, right? BTW Botic should be pronounced 'botitch' - I know for sure as I grew up there and went skating there in winter... ;-)

That would increase the cost, complexity and size of the board.

Using a modular aproach allows each person to build a system to their needs and preferences.

It allows for use with other dacs offered by TPA and other companies.

I for exemple won't need usb or spdif inputs, so I'll probably build a BBB/botic input only dac.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
francolargo: yes, 4 I2S stereo channels will be available.

So one can use either 4 DACs or for example one 8 channel DAC - this is the scenario I'm using for driver tests (with ES9018).

Thanks Miero! For me, two I2S stereo channels will be sufficient. :) A quick search suggests that implementing useful audio DSP functions on BBB may require a bit of development. However, the persistence of this group has never failed to impress!

Best,

Frank

Thanks Miero! For me, two I2S stereo channels will be sufficient. :) A quick search suggests that implementing useful audio DSP functions on BBB may require a bit of development. However, the persistence of this group has never failed to impress!

Best,

Frank

That is something that would interest me also but agree its a lot of work and way beyond myself.

So my current plan is to take SPDIF off the Botic cape and feed a miniSHARC which in turn feeds a pair of DACs via I2S. Much cleaner than my current MiniDSP solution.

Best,

Frank

This is in my interest also (but with 8ch crossover). I read somewhere over at the Volumio forum that some managed to run BruteFIR and/or Folve on their units. This might be a possible way to go...

Best regards,
Mattias

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is in my interest also (but with 8ch crossover). I read somewhere over at the Volumio forum that some managed to run BruteFIR and/or Folve on their units. This might be a possible way to go...

Best regards,
Mattias
I checked there and one report (with a Rpi) claimed that BruteFIR distorted badly but Folve worked well, and a post on linuxaudio.org claimed Folve includes high and low-pass filters. Certainly, Ecasound offers lots of processing options. For my low/mid XO point - the one I really need - I haven't heard a difference between FIR and IIR. In either case, though, timing adjustments are critical. I will be following this project with great interest.

Frank

Some news!

The boards I created were fine - but I will be making new/better ones. :)

I learned a few things from this build.

I need to separate out core concerns from eachother

1) BBB interface and botic features with Isolation I2C and Audio (PCM/DSD) signals with correct power sequencing etc (so no inputs are driven until power good).
2) Re-clocking/Clock generation.

So I am just about to order 4 prototype boards
1) Hermes-BBB which supports Botic application
2) Cronus - Clock generator with reclocking for 8 channels of PCM and 4 channels of DSD it also has a local 3.3V supply. Hermes plugs into Cronus and is powered on the clean side by it. Cronus can use direct soldered clocks or you can plug in a socket and use Rhea clock modules (see below)
3) Rhea - Pluggable Clock adapter which can be used with Cronus. These modules allow you to experiment with various clock strategies/frequencies. Or just to try different clocks.
4) Hermes-Amanero isolator which allows you to use the amanero USB module with the Cronus where the Cronus supplies the master clock. This module isolates and exposes all the Amanero signals so you can use it with just about any DAC.

The great thing is I can now use the Cronus module with lots of sources - not just BBB. I will just create a Hermes board for each source.

I will have more information shortly. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.